Accurate Tacticool Target Rifle - Looking
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Accurate Tacticool Target Rifle - Looking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 02:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Accurate Tacticool Target Rifle - Looking

Hey guys, my heart was set on a 308....but I'm not going to be picky about caliber. I'm looking for a super precise rifle that won't break the bank, but all while looking cool. Bolt action was also super high on my list...but I've been thinking about it, and for the cost I could just get an AR.

So, I'm looking for a sexy-looking gun that can shoot sub-MOA out to distance. My max distance is 120 yds right now. However, I hope for much longer max range than that. Another requirement of mine is hoping for customizability. I don't want some completely random, weird gun that no one has parts for (OEM or aftermarket). Hoping y'all could help me out.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #2

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
Hey guys, my heart was set on a 308....but I'm not going to be picky about caliber. I'm looking for a super precise rifle that won't break the bank, but all while looking cool. Bolt action was also super high on my list...but I've been thinking about it, and for the cost I could just get an AR.

So, I'm looking for a sexy-looking gun that can shoot sub-MOA out to distance. My max distance is 120 yds right now. However, I hope for much longer max range than that. Another requirement of mine is hoping for customizability. I don't want some completely random, weird gun that no one has parts for (OEM or aftermarket). Hoping y'all could help me out.
Well if your budget will not allow for a total custom build I would recommend a Remington 700 at least to harvest for the reciever. A total "sexy cool" build would include a aftermarker reciever such as a Surgeons, Pierce, BATT, etc.... A Remington 700, however, would allow you to take your time and add on upgrades as you can afford it over time more so than most any other brand of rifle I can think of. My first build was off a Remington 700 L/A reciever in 300 WM that I harvested from an inexpensive SPS version of the rifle. All they're recievers are the same for reference. (SPS, ADL, BDL as example) Basically I threw away everything of the rifle but the reciever and then I had it trued for the build with all the other replaced parts with aftermarket.

I used a Krieger #9 contour MTU barrel, McMillan A-5 stock, Badger Ordance detachable magazine bottom metal, Jewell trigger, Elite Iron Tac 30 muzzel brake, a PT&G bolt and knob, McCanns +20 MOA base, Badger Ordance Rings, and a Premier Reticle 5-25X56mm scope. It shoots holes in holes @ 100 yards with little effort. At 1000 yards it's within MOA when I get it right.

That being said I'm going to a S/A now and semi retiring my modified L/A, 300 WM, 700 action for a S/A made by Surgeons. Its their 591 reciever. The caliber is in 260 Rem. Very similar ballistics to the existing 300 WM I've been shooting for a couple of years. The new rifle is going to be as near a copy of my first rifle as I'm comfortable with it and I don't believe in "changing up horses in the middle of the stream."

A 308 Win. is great to start with mostly because the barrel life is long compaired to a 300 WM or even a 260 Rem. Ive got just over 1100 rounds through the 300 Win. Mag barrel before it was "shot out" and the 260 should get around 3000 rounds through it before the barrel goes. I've herd of the 308 Win barrels lasting to 7500 rounds or so before they go bye, bye. Regardless, if you build one of these long range things, don't fall in love with the barrel, as in time, if you get into it ,you will be replacing it.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-13-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would suggest looking at various rifles from Remington and Savage all have some cool rifles ranging in different price ranges there are lots of after market stuff for Remington and some for Savage allot off custom actions are based on Remington 700 action 308 is an excellent round lots of options look around and be patient when deciding. GOOD LUCK CB

Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 712 Posts
Likes Given: 598

The Remington 700 5R Milspec is a great rifle out of the box,if that is the brand you go with.
Savage has several different models in heavy barreled 308's,it all depends on what you want.

I like Savage's,mainly because I can completely build a rifle from scratch without needing a gunsmith.They also are one of the best shooting rifles out of the box.I have 5 Savage heavy barreled rifles,and they all are great shooters.
If you want a rifle that can be customized with all sorts of aftermarket parts either brand will serve you well.
You may also want to look at Tikka,CZ,and Howa.Their products are also very accurate,but they don't have as much aftermarket accessories for those brands.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

If you want cool and very functional try the Howa Axiom stocked rifle in .308. It has a fully free floating stock that also has recoil reduction built into it. Mine is a very nice shooter. It isn't a full blown target gun as described above, but will shoot sum MOA easily. I really like mine. This is also IMO one of the few guns that offers a scope package deal that includes a very good scope. Check it out. Here is a write up from American Rifleman.

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1592&cid=3

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2986 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I was going to say the Howa Axiom also. Cool looking and accurate. Should fit the bill w/o costing too many bills

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I'm not looking for an incredibly accurate competition-level rifle. I'm not on that kind of budget.

I had basically completely decided on a Remington 700 in .308 and then I started thinking about the alternatives. What about another caliber? What about a ranged AR-15? I'd bet they'd both go for about the same price. Also, what's the opinion on this one.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not looking for an incredibly accurate competition-level rifle. I'm not on that kind of budget.

I had basically completely decided on a Remington 700 in .308 and then I started thinking about the alternatives. What about another caliber? What about a ranged AR-15? I'd bet they'd both go for about the same price. Also, what's the opinion on this one.
An AR15 is a completely different animal from what most people consider targt rifles. A bolt gun is almost always more accurate than a semi-auto. The 5.56 cartridge won't shoot long range as well as a heavier round, but may be able to do all you want. It is also much less expensive to shoot. To be honest an AR is more fun to shoot and offers easier shooting at different hold positions. I wouldn't be able to shoot my heavy barreled 24" .308 for many shots standing without having to stop and get a better grip or postion. An AR in 5.56/223 is very comfortable to transition to different positions and offers the grin inducing rapid fire ability.

There are also AR's in heavier calibers that may interest you. I have one in 5.56 and .308. A caliber like the 6.8 has promise but does not have the mass appeal yet to get ammo priced down. Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #9

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:

I'm liking this Remington 700 SPS tactical rifle in 308 Win. for what your going to do. The price seems right and will leave you a good amout of budget $$$$ towards base, rings and scope purchases. These rifles have been known to shoot less than 1 MOA @ 100 yards. This would be an excellent trainer and in this caliber last many rounds before barrel is shot out. Also, as time goes by and you can afford it, this rifle is nearly infinately upgradable with aftermarket parts.

A semi auto rifle just won't be as accurate as a bolt gun.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

fireguy, I'm aware they're completely different....but I'm trying to figure out what trade-off I'd like better. An AR would be more fun for general shooting, it would be an AR, and would be an AR (next highest rifle after this Tacticool Target rifle). Problem is, there is no deer-killing ability with it. The Remington 700 isn't going to be as much "fun" nor was it originally highest on my list...but it will kill deer. However, I have a 12GA for that....plus, I've never actually been deer hunting and have no plans to.

From what I've read, though....both the 308 and the 223 are going to be effective out to 500/600 yards. Will the 308 be more accurate than the 223 at distances 500yds+?

It really seems like if I get a 308 bolt action, it's going to be a Remington 700 base model (maybe a level or two up) and I'll use the low price to purchase a scope/base/rings/etc plus customizations. Same thing with an AR if I get one.