Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Accurate Rifle for Under $600 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/accurate-rifle-under-600-a-1478/)

AgentMaroon 07-31-2007 03:52 PM

Accurate Rifle for Under $600

I am looking for a new bolt action rifle under $600.

What is the most accurate one out there?

I wish to stay with a .308 or .30-'06.

pioneer461 07-31-2007 08:18 PM

I own a Remington 700, which is very accurate and has served me well. They come in a variety of calibers.

shipwreck 07-31-2007 08:39 PM

Yea, The Remington is probably the way to go. I wouldn't mind of of the FN Bolt action guns, but even the cheap ones are a bit above your limit.

FALPhil 08-01-2007 12:18 AM

Actually, professional shooters are saying that the Savage Model 10 is the most accurate out-of-the-box mass produced bolt gun right now, if you get the version with the Accu-Trigger. But, I don't think you can go wrong with the Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint.

my21SF 08-03-2007 03:08 PM

how about a Tikka?

hello all! new here..anyway i bought a tikka t3 stainlesss in 25-06 about 2 yrs ago and havent regretted it at all,they are made in the same factory as sako so the quality is great.mine was just under $600,comes with an adjustable trigger,free-floated barrel,3 rd drop out magazine and stainless rings,lots of caliber choices also.a 308 will be my next choice im thinkin,,,,good luck on whatever u decide

Gun Looney 08-30-2007 12:26 PM

Yeah, an '06 T3 would be a good choice in that price range. They're a very accurate tool, but just hard for me to warm up to personally. A good value though.

IMO there's no flies on a Ruger 77 either, even factoring in the cost of a bedding and trigger job, or just a bedding job in the case of the new Hawkeye.

1894 09-03-2007 01:27 AM

Accuracy

There are a lot of "accurate" rifles out there. Sounds like you are getting some good suggestions from other members. Personally, the bulk of my experience has been with Rugers and Remingtons. The Remingtons usually take less tinkering to shoot to my specs. If you are into learning to improve rifles, the Ruger with a wood stock makes a good project gun.
My advice to anyone concerned with accuracy is to get into reloading if you have the time. Get a good book. Study the ballistics of your cartridge so you know what to expect from it. Once you fully understand the safety rules, start tinkering. There is no better way to build confidence in yourself and your rifle than to see the results of your efforts start shrinking that group! Confidence goes a long way in improving accuracy.
Good luck with the long shots.

polarnewfie 11-08-2007 08:50 PM

I have a savage 300 win mag in model 116 stainless bolt action with a drop out mag, and a remington 700 in 7mm. I got both for under 600 bucks and I cant tell the difference within a few millimeters at 100 yards. Of course they both come in 30-06 and .308 but either of these makes are excellent for out of the box accuracy. I really like the savage a little more as the accutrigger let me adjust trigger pull to my liking and I am not "pulling" the rifle on discharge which affected my accuracy more than anything else. I own a remington model 7600 pump action in .30-06 and it is as accurate as any bolt gun I've owned in that caliber. The barrel is free floated and it has a drop out mag for ease of loading. Check out some of the savage lineup including the Stevens line up for decent accuracy for a good price. The stevens rifles are just savage's subsidiary using savage's older action and trigger.(no accutrigger). The guns look plain but the barrels, action, etc are still savage and still shoot well for about 300 bucks. you could invest more of your money in better optics then, because thats where the real accuracy lies. QUALITY OPTICS AND MOUNTS and shell out some of your saved money in quality bullets. Just some suggestions, I am by no means a gun guru, I just know what I like and what has, and is working for me well right now.
As a side note, the .30-06 is a little more versatile, the bullet speed is 1-2 hundred fps faster than the .308 ( so it shoots flatter), it has more loads available from more bullet makers in a slightly wider variety of bullet weights.
The .308 has a shorter action which makes a difference to some (not me)
The main thing is that the rifle has to feel good in your hands, balance right when you point it, have readily available ammo for a good price, and make you want to shoot it to ensure you are competent to hunt with it. Go to your friendly neighborhood dealer and try out all the guns first to see which feels best, and has the options you are looking for. TAKE NOTES, then narrow down your choices to fit your budget and always ask trusted people about your narrowed down choices. Dont necessarily trust the seller, as he may try to get you to buy a gun he has been having trouble selling and wants it off his shelf. Just dont buy a rifle until you see which ones feel best, then get as much info about those specific models as you can when you know what exactly you are looking at buying.

Bear_Down 12-29-2007 07:06 AM

Savage is a good choice like always, But maybe look at a Stevens for a few bucks less and put the savings towards a good scope.

Cub 12-30-2007 05:16 AM

I owned many Browning, a few Winchesters, a few Tikka,s, and a Savage. They all shoot good. But my most accurate one is an older 30-06 Tikka that I use to use for open sight Turkey Shoots. You don't get many lemons today, as long as you put in the time to shoot and know your riffle you'll do allright!