accuracy problems!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > accuracy problems!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default accuracy problems!!!

I have a SAKO MODEL 75 in .300 WSM. It's 5 yrs old.When Ifirst started shooting this gun it shot wonderfully,less than 1" but in the past 6 months or so it has not been shooting up to snuff. I've tried different ammo(all factory,with different weights),cleaning extra good with bore cleaner and copper cleaner and accuracy is still very inconsistent.I don't reload so I'm running out of options anyone got any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #2

Sounds like the barrel its self. Just replace the barrel. especially if you have shot a lot with this rifle. My husband had to replace his barrel, it was not the same rifle, but in due time on some of them they do need to be replaced. Good luck.
~ Kitty 87

Old 02-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Welcome to the forum Huntersmurf! Stop by the Introductions section when you get a chance, and tell us a little about yourself.

Before I'd do something like changing barrels, I'd check the action bolts and see if they have loosened up.
Check the mounts and ring screws and make sure they are tight.
If that doesnt help maybe try switching scopes to see if the scope went bad.
and check the barrel crown for any dings or damage.
Any idea of how many rounds you have through the barrel?

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #4

I've thought about that and hope that's not it because it hasn't had but maybe 200 rounds put through it.I've thought about sending it to a gunsmith and having him go over it real good. Had a muzzlebrake put on about 1 1/2 yrs ago, don't know if that might be causing some problems.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

How many rounds do you have down range?

The WSM is known for causing excessive barrel wear, but we are talking 1000, 1200 rounds, possibly more for the 300 WSM if you take care of it.

Have you made any changes to the stock, the rings or the scope?

This would be the first thing I would check.

After that, I would take the weapon to a gunsmith and have him/her bore scope the weapon and check the throat and the lands/grooves of the weapon.

Another option is that the crown is messed up. Kind of unlikely unless you have dropped the weapon or severly banged it on something.

An easy check to is to run a standard cotton ball around the crown of the weapon. If it snags and pulls cotton strands, then you have an issue.

As you don't reload, but you had positive experiences with factory ammo before, there are only a few options.

Answer a couple of these questions and we can probably direct you towards a solution.

JD

Old 02-28-2010, 09:02 PM   #6

What type of muzzle break?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntersmurf View Post
I've thought about that and hope that's not it because it hasn't had but maybe 200 rounds put through it.I've thought about sending it to a gunsmith and having him go over it real good. Had a muzzlebrake put on about 1 1/2 yrs ago, don't know if that might be causing some problems.
With 200 or so rounds downrange I would highly doubt your barrel is shot out. That would have to be some pretty piss poor barrel care to have that happen and I kind of doubt that is the case.

First thing, the scope, rings and action mounts. Check them all and make sure they haven't loosened up on you or gotten tweaked to the point of stress.

Next, you need to have your barrel and throat checked with a bore scope. They aren't cheap, so I would recommend having it checked by a gunsmith.

Do you have a wood stock by any chance?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Is it synthetic stock or wood stock? If it's wood it's possible the stock has warped. Have you double checked to see if the scope mounts are tight? Are you SURE it's cleaned good? What about the crown? has it been damaged somehow? I would start with the basics before making any drastic changes.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Check all stock screws, check scope mount and rings.

Do you clean the barrel from the breech or the muzzle?

try a different scope?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 02-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #10

No changes to the stock but I did put on a new scope and rings about the same time the muzzlebrake(vais, i think) was put on.The scope is a nikon monarch with leupold rings. Current ammo is remington 150 gr. core-lokt. Other ammo tried; 165 & 150 gr. fusions,165 gr.fed. triple shocks,win, 150 ballistic tip,and the new powermax 150 gr. from winchester. The 165 gr. fusions were the bullet I started out with.