Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Accuracy for the money

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Accuracy for the money

What kinds of techniques, modifications, or improvements can give me more accuracy? I want to reduce recoil and attain stability. I was thinking of getting a scope as well. I have heard that Glass Bedding or Free Floating can help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2007, 03:19 AM   #2

There are certain factors which do indeed assist in making a rifle more accurate, but sometimes, you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, at least economically.

First and foremost, you should start with a platform that has a good reputation for accuracy. These days, some of the rifles that have that reputation are upper-end AR15s, Remington 700s, Savage Model 10s in the mass-produced category. Some vendors, like T-C and AWS offer guaranteed accuracy with match ammo. Rifles that have the opposite reputation would be most autoloaders (AKs, Mini-14s) and many single shot rifles (because of the way the forend is mounted).

The key to rifle accuracy is consistency. You want to be as consistent as possible in the areas of barrel harmonics, sight picture, and internal ballistics. You have already mentioned bedding and free-floating. These are techniques which are used to make barrel harmonics more consistent. Sight picture consistency is largely governed by shooter technique - cheek weld, trigger control, follow-through, etc. Internal ballistics is a statement on ammunition. You can have the most "accurate" rifle in the world, and if you feed it with crap ammo, it will shoot like crap.

There are many other factors that affect accuracy. Maybe some other members will post their thoughts. This could end up being a very long thread.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

FalPhil did a good job. I will take it a bit further.

What kind of rifle are we talking about, or is this a general question?

My first question is how accurate are you? That is an honest question. Do you know about NPOA? You could get an uber accurate rifle, but if you don't know how to shoot it, or it doesn't fit you, or.... then you won't be accurate and it is not the rifle at all.

-Bidah

-Bidah