Accuracy with a .177 pellet rifle? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Accuracy with a .177 pellet rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21391 Times on 12141 Posts
Likes Given: 53272

fish, check the scope. did the scope come with the airgun? reason is, scopes made for airguns are different than scopes for regular rifles. airguns have reverse recoil and can damage or change point of impact on regular scopes. check your scope mounts too, and make sure they are tight. loose mounts can cause the shots to move around.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:17 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Some people consider follow through to be more important with air rifles because of the lower MV. More time in bbl=more opportunity for shooter error.

There is a regular series on one of the outdoors networks. I wanna say sportsman's channel, and they always have some pretty good info.
As I got used to this rifle, I did notice improvement as I was able to hold steady through the shot. Also, I just noticed an old but similar thread here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/pellet-gun-accuracy-shooting-technique-24959/

Where someone gave a detailed reply, and included feedback that air-rifles are more sensitive to how they are being held, and anything they are resting on. I had not considered this, so the next chance I have to target practice, I'll pay more attention to how I'm holding it. I'll try to post again if holding it the same way turns out to be the issue.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
fish, check the scope. did the scope come with the airgun? reason is, scopes made for airguns are different than scopes for regular rifles. airguns have reverse recoil and can damage or change point of impact on regular scopes. check your scope mounts too, and make sure they are tight. loose mounts can cause the shots to move around.
The best I can tell the scope is still tight. I'm sure I need to keep checking it though, because it does seem like this spring power is likely to be hard on the scope.

Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #14

Liked 2453 Times on 1397 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

IME, there's the occasional bad shot, either CA release, a slightly distorted

pellet, or something. Generally one shot out of four or so.

But it's an inexpensive platform, and a world of fun. It's also dependable enough

to bag a fair amount of game, but IMO, perfection of any air system will

probably double your cost...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a gamo 3-4 years old 800 fps. With a 22 scope on it and at 10-15 yards It can hit a penny every time Idk how but iv shot probly 3000 rounds and it is dead on. Dose great on the possums and rats that get in barns.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #16

Liked 54 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I have a crossman Phantom $80 from Walmart. It is very accurate with the open sights, I've put 4 differant scopes on it but always go back to open sights. It seems like after several shots it starts to move in any direction. I did have one that slid om the mount rail no matter how much I tightened it. I take the scope off and thr opens are still dead on. At 40 feet it will shoot dime sized groups. I do know you have to be consistant with how you hold it, cock it, amount of time between cocking and shooting and you need to put it firmly to your shoulder and follow through. Try to see the pellet hit.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:33 AM   #17

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I still have my RWS 48 and 54 Spring Piston side lever pellet guns. They are .17 and .22 air guns respectively.

To be more consistent, actuating the side lever compresses the spring which holds the energy until the trigger is pulled, then the spring compresses air through a compression chamber and propels the pellet down the barrel.

The RWS 54 is a recoil-less side lever rifle based on the RWS48.

I love the accuracy out of both but had to experiment which pellets gave me the most accuracy.

Here's a pic I snapped of my RWS 48 and 54 along with other pellet/bb/airsoft pistols I have:

Last edited by goretro77; 10-05-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #18

My 177 is a Gamo at somewhere 1000 to 1200 At 35 to 40 feet rats, squirrels, and rabbits die with one shot vital body or head.
A .20 Sheridan pumped up, kills pigeons up to 50 ft. Both are scoped, and same hold and pressures give the same impacts with either rifle. Grip hard or soft, and you change the impact point on either. Both penetrate into vital areas, but those pellets need to hit and penetrate those vitals for kills!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Hi all,

I got my wife to let me pick out an air rifle for my birthday and wanted one I could use for a little squirrel hunting. I went with a Ruger Blackhawk spring powered, break-barrel, pellet rifle. It has 1000fps speed, which I wanted for squirrel hunting. Here's a link to where I bought it with full specs: Ruger Blackhawk .177 Cal. Air Rifle With 4x32 Mm Scope, Air Guns/Paintball, Ruger at Sportsman's Guide
Don't expect much accuracy from the Ruger Blackhawk air rifle. It's a cheap Chinese rifle that was licensed by Ruger. It should be sufficient for squirrel hunting though. Popular accurate hunting air rifles (match rifles are much more accurate) are Air Arms S200, Air Arms S410, Steyr LG 110 High Power, Daystate X2, Daystate MK3, Daystate Airwolf MCT and BSA R-10 MK2. These tend to be pricey however.

Indian immigrant...proud to be stealing college places that should go to White Americans, stealing jobs that should go to White Americans, worshipping idols, believing in multiple gods and being considered a terrorist by 55% of the American population! :D

Old 10-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #20

I have a Crossmen quest with a 4x32mm scope, and I drop anything in my sights within 30 yards. Especially squirrels! But I use either Gamo Raptor, or Bluefire pellets for hunting. For just Target shooting, the Gamo match pellets seem to have good consistency.