Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Acceptable Accuracy in a hunting rifle. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/acceptable-accuracy-hunting-rifle-20351/)

cpttango30 11-23-2009 01:35 PM

Acceptable Accuracy in a hunting rifle.

What is acceptable accuracy FOR YOU for a basic hunting rifle?

I have been thinking of getting a new Deer rifle as the one I have now Really hurts to shoot. When I mean hurts I mean 30-06 with a steel but plate and my shoulder goes numb after about 5 shots on the bench (Sighting in) and it stays numb for about 3 days if it is not hurting.

My current Deer rifle is about oh 69 years old. It is the Remington Model 30 Express basied on the 1917 action. It is a great action being big and UGLY is an understatement. The stock is not the best design in the world and that steel but plate is to say the least angry.

Now the accuracy of this rifle runs .75 to 1" at 100 yards for 5 shot groups. To me that is what I look for in a hunting rifle for big game. I should say Factory hunting rifle. My varmint guns are a whole different story. Is this level of accuracy I can expect from todays hunting rifles? Look the newest rifle in my safe is my 6 year old 700......

masterPsmith 11-23-2009 02:30 PM

Acceptable accuracy for me for an out of the box new rifle for big game would be no larger 1 1/2" @ 100 yards with factory ammo. With todays quality of workmanship (or lack thereof) from most manufactures, this would be the norm. With a little work, most of todays rifles will shoot MOA.

Jim............

JonM 11-23-2009 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 189694)
What is acceptable accuracy FOR YOU for a basic hunting rifle?

I have been thinking of getting a new Deer rifle as the one I have now Really hurts to shoot. When I mean hurts I mean 30-06 with a steel but plate and my shoulder goes numb after about 5 shots on the bench (Sighting in) and it stays numb for about 3 days if it is not hurting.

My current Deer rifle is about oh 69 years old. It is the Remington Model 30 Express basied on the 1917 action. It is a great action being big and UGLY is an understatement. The stock is not the best design in the world and that steel but plate is to say the least angry.

Now the accuracy of this rifle runs .75 to 1" at 100 yards for 5 shot groups. To me that is what I look for in a hunting rifle for big game. I should say Factory hunting rifle. My varmint guns are a whole different story. Is this level of accuracy I can expect from todays hunting rifles? Look the newest rifle in my safe is my 6 year old 700......

why dont you get one of those limb saver pads or pachmyar pads for the weapon and cover up taht steel butt plate?? i use my .458 winmag loaded to .45-70 levels for deer hunting, hog hunting, and just general shooting fun. i have a pachmyar pad on the butt and it feels like shooting a typical 30-06. it sounds like you like your rifle except for the felt recoil. rubber butt pads that absord recoil can be slip on or permanant attachments. they run around 30-45$.

cpttango30 11-23-2009 03:53 PM

I have one on my WIn mod 12 and it makes the LOP too long to shoot correctly Tried it already.

I am Looking at replacing the stock on this one with a richards microfit and fitting a pacymyer decellerator to it. But I can always just get a new rifle that is less work.... Maybe.

TXnorton 11-23-2009 04:15 PM

If you really like the Model 30, have the stock cut-down to accept the recoil pad and maintain the same LOP. I had to have a pad installed on my M-700 in order to get the longer LOP (I am 6'-3" tall with long torso and arms). I did this 20+ years ago, and can shoot 50-60 rounds of .30-06 at the range with only minimal soreness afterwards.

matt g 11-23-2009 04:37 PM

Acceptable accuracy for me is 3 or 4 inches at 50 yards. I've never taken a shot at greater than 25 yards and the kill zone of large game is pretty big.

When you've been out humping up and down hills all days long you can be pretty burnt physically. After spotting an animal, taking the time to move downwind of it and begin stalking in gets you pretty pumped up mentally. When you combine the adrenalin of the stalk and the physical drain of the walk through the mountainous terrain, you can be pretty shaky when it comes time to take the shot. When you're within 50 or 75 feet of a nice animal, the shot needs to come quick, you don't have the time to breathe and relax.

Without that minute or 2 of meditative time to relax and line up a shot and without the time to prone out or brace against something, you're not going to lay in a gnat's ass shot, so gnat's ass accuracy is a moot point.

mrm14 11-23-2009 05:07 PM

I'd say put that new stock on it and a 1" decel pad. The better ergonomocs of the newer design stock and decel pad will tame the recoil down nice with this rifle. Also, taking it a little further, a muzzle break will do wonders as well if you can stand the extra noise. Muzzel breaks can be quite loud.

My Remington 700 SPS in .300 Win Mag. I bought last year to have made into a target rifle, when I was shooting it before I sent it off to have it built, would shoot about .75 moa to a tad tighter when using a bench rest. I had an older model 70 Winchester in 30-06 that would shoot about the same moa in a bench rest. These accuracy levels were with factory ammo.

I myself think the 30-06 is a great round for hunting even though I dont have a rifle in this caliber at this time. (sold my model 70 to my brother a couple of years ago)

What Matt G says above is pretty right on as well.

cpttango30 11-23-2009 05:27 PM

MRM14 you haven't seen any of my posts about muzzle breaks have you?

I would never put a break on a rifle of mine. Ifn ya can't handle the recoil then you shouldn't be shooting it in the first place.

mrm14 11-23-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 189752)
MRM14 you haven't seen any of my posts about muzzle breaks have you?

I would never put a break on a rifle of mine. Ifn ya can't handle the recoil then you shouldn't be shooting it in the first place.

Nope. I havn't seen or dont remember (CRS) your posts about muzzel breaks. I have never used one until this target rifle I'm in the process of having built. The muzzel break on this barrel can be threaded on and off as well. Most these 1000 yard guys here use them. These are not hunting rifles per say, however, some of these guys long range hunt with them.

Regardless, I just threw the muzzel break thing out there as it does reduce felt recoil considerably. To be honest I wouldnt throw one on a hunting rifle either.

Dillinger 11-23-2009 05:48 PM

1.5 Minute of Angle out to about 200 or 250 yards is perfect for a hunting rifle, my opinion, in this part of the world.

What's the kill zone on a deer? What? About an 8 or 10 inch area?

A light rifle that doesn't punish you and isn't like weight lifting to stalk with, that can still hold a 4 to 6 inch spread at 200yards is PLENTY of rifle around here.

A stock stick with a trigger job and a glass bed would easily get you in those numbers with factory ammo. Some of the factory guns coming out will hold that without touching up anything, but we both know you aren't going to leave it stone stock. :D

JD