Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   About to pull the trigger (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/about-pull-trigger-86833/)

tnel74 03-18-2013 06:37 AM

About to pull the trigger

Just closing in on getting my first hunting rifle. A savage 11 trophy hunter xp in .243! I have been shooting shotguns for a while and this will be my first rifle over a .22. I wanted to make this thread just in case there was anything you guys might have a different opinion on rifle or caliber. I was thinking .243 because i want to be able to hunt deer and coyote/varmits. Any last minute changes or am I good to go on rifle and caliber??

kytowboater 03-18-2013 06:45 AM

Savage is a good rifle. A lot of people won't condone the use of .243 for white tail. I've seen them taken with a .243. Shot placement as always is key. In ethical ranges it will be a fine round. Maybe keep on the heavy side for ammo.

Otherwise enjoy!

HockaLouis 03-18-2013 11:45 PM

Good to go!

Intheshop 03-20-2013 07:59 AM

OK...everybody knows you're 'sposed to squeeze a trigger....in this case,yank it!Haha

Good luck,.243's are magic.See what gr bullets it likes.Some are 85 gr guns and others play nicer with 100's.

tnel74 03-29-2013 05:57 AM

I went with just the hunter xp! I was going to upgrade the scope anyways an I found a real good deal on one of them. My vortex diamondback 4-12x40 ao is on it's way now! I'm going to go try it out just with the cheap bushel it came with and I was think about upgrading the trigger sometime in the future also! Thank you for all the replies!

MattShlock 03-29-2013 11:04 AM

Excellent choices all around and congratulations! Will you take a picture of the new member of the family and give us a range report (when you can find some ammo)?

rockratt 03-29-2013 11:44 AM

Fine choice on both caliber and rifle. Congratulations!!!!

tnel74 03-29-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattShlock
Excellent choices all around and congratulations! Will you take a picture of the new member of the family and give us a range report (when you can find some ammo)?

I will Saturday when I get home! I have 60 rds of hornady custom 75 gr hp, 20 or Remington 80 gr and 40 round of federal vshock 100 gr. Gonna have to see what my rifle like best! I will shoot from a bipod and sandbag

jeepboy4life 03-29-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tnel74 (Post 1195067)
I went with just the hunter xp! I was going to upgrade the scope anyways an I found a real good deal on one of them. My vortex diamondback 4-12x40 ao is on it's way now! I'm going to go try it out just with the cheap bushel it came with and I was think about upgrading the trigger sometime in the future also! Thank you for all the replies!

Just a quick question for ya, where did you buy this rifle?? and did you buy it new?? if you bought it new then go to the shop you bought it from and tell them you want the nikon that is supposed to be on the gun. The 11xp comes with a 3-9x40 nikon bcd from the factory. just my .02

tnel74 03-30-2013 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepboy4life

Just a quick question for ya, where did you buy this rifle?? and did you buy it new?? if you bought it new then go to the shop you bought it from and tell them you want the nikon that is supposed to be on the gun. The 11xp comes with a 3-9x40 nikon bcd from the factory. just my .02

Well the trophy hunter xp comes with the nikon and accutrigger but I went with the regular hunter xp which does not have the accutrigger and a bushel scope and I bought I from bimart for 360$. I was fine with this because I wanted to upgrade the scope anyways and would have no use for the nikon. In the long run I thought it'd be cheaper.