Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > About to buy my first rifle, need input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Feeding problem is usually a magazine problem ( bent lips ). Ejection problems could be gas block alignment,gas tube dirty.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've never had either problem in a rifle as much as I had it with M16A1s, M16A2s, M16A4s or M4s. The brand new M4s and A4s did it with brand new magazines even.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:49 PM   #13

Regardless of the platform, Knat, you would be well served to procure a first rifle in a current military chambering. That means either 223 Rem/5.56x45 or 308 Win/7.62x51. The reason being is there are more rounds of those two chamberings than any other, 5.56 being the most common. If you have to scrounge, you should be scrounging for something that is readily available. My vote, however is for 308 Win, because it is a much more versatile cartridge for a broader range of tasks.

After you get that taken care of, get something in a chambering that is along the lines of the shooting style that you enjoy most.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
My vote, however is for 308 Win, because it is a much more versatile cartridge for a broader range of tasks.
Purpose drive the gear, not the other way around.

It depends on what he wants to do with it. Simple fact: If you want to get good, practice. Practice means trigger time, both dryfire and bangtime. 5.56 is a better selection form this standpoint because its an easier platform to learn initially and the ammo cost, especially with some of the import ammo thats out there, allows for more trigger time.

I have several M1A/M14s platforms and I love them, but my ARs get more workout time simply because their cheaper to shoot and reload for.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:13 AM   #15

If an SKS plus ammo were bought and then a bit more money becomes available, how about also finding a good used Mini 14,
in order to have access to both very common ammo types?
Otherwise, buying two SKS (or SKS and AK) and lots of ammo might be a very rewarding investment.

The only problem I've seen last spring is the increase in prices for cheap Wolf .223, but not with basic Wolf 7.62 x39, fmj or jhp.

Used Mini 14 (designed for .223 and 5.56) and 30, MN 44 (longer range, very low-cost rifle and ammo, rather powerful) and SKS .
An SKS with one jhp round can stop a large feral pig, and a $120 MN 44 plus a scope can kill a black bear with two well-placed shots.
The photos were posted.

Last edited by Laufer; 10-19-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyTTE View Post
Purpose drive the gear, not the other way around.
Nope. That only works when you have a deuce and half to drive all your gear around, if you have no idea what the purpose will be. If you can only have one in a current military cartridge, the 308 is the one to have for maximum versatility.

I have one vehicle. It gets me to and from work. It hauls building materials. It gets me to my relatives' house three states away. It gets me in and out of the woods when I hunt. I don't need four vehicles; I need one that perform all four purposes. The 308 is the Chevy 4x4 half-ton truck of the rifle world. It might not be the optimum for any one task, but it does all tasks reasonably well.

Plus, if you learn to shoot a 308 well, shooting 223 comes easy.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 223s. And for some things, they are better than a 308. But, for an general purpose, all-around rifle, the 308 is superior to the 223, hands down.

Plus, if he plans to hunt with it, 223 is not even legal for big game in some states.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

One thing everyone is forgetting is the OP is BRAND NEW to owning firearms. I would say get an AR in 223 to learn on if you have to have one. I would say get yourself a Ruger 10/22 really for a first long gun. How big is the OP how much recoil can he handle without building a good flinch. the 308 is a great cartridge as is the 223 but both carry more recoil than the 22lr. Think You can get an AR in 223 buy the conversion kit for 22lr and then later on you can get an upper in 308 win or in many other different calibers.

The OP said nothing about hunting with it or anything like that. But you can get the AR in many different flavors even 243 win which is a very good deer hunting /varmint round. So you can have the best cartridge in the world but if the OP can't shoot it because it causes him pain it is not the most usefull cartridge out there is it?

Last edited by cpttango30; 10-19-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
One thing everyone is forgetting is the OP is BRAND NEW to owning firearms.
I didn't read that. I read he was new to gun ownership. But you may be correct.

Excellent point about the .22 RF, although a 10/22 would not be my recommendation. If one has absolutely no skills at rifle shooting, a .22 is a great way to acquire basic skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
The OP said nothing about hunting with it or anything like that. But you can get the AR in many different flavors even 243 win which is a very good deer hunting /varmint round. So you can have the best cartridge in the world but if the OP can't shoot it because it causes him pain it is not the most usefull cartridge out there is it?
I must have had my survival hat on when I responded to his post. These days, with the economy and the political situation, that's what I have been thinking.

But, my daughters shoot my 308 Win FALs quite a bit. One is 5'7" @ 125 lbs; the other is 5'11" @ 143 lbs. Neither of them have a problem, although they are pretty much satisfied with 50-60 rounds per session.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #19

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
But, my daughters shoot my 308 Win FALs quite a bit. One is 5'7" @ 125 lbs; the other is 5'11" @ 143 lbs. Neither of them have a problem, although they are pretty much satisfied with 50-60 rounds per session.
How long have they been shooting? Did you start them out on an FAL?

Recoil is the biggest issue shooting. I can and will shoot anything once ok 5 times. But that is me. Recoil doesn't bother me I can go out and shoot my shotgun with slugs off teh bench for an hour or two and just be tore up but I will not flench. I have had days where I was black and blue for a week. It hurt yes but it was so much fun.

I have never shot an FAL so I don't know the recoil. I have a 17# bench gun in 308 and 50 to 75 rounds is all I will shoot in one day. Because it recoils enough to cause shooter fatigue.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Knat, you would be well served to procure a first rifle in a current military chambering. That means either 223 Rem/5.56x45 or 308 Win/7.62x51.
I think 7.63x39 should be the third caliber on that list. Lots of it around.