About to buy my first rifle, need input
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > About to buy my first rifle, need input

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default About to buy my first rifle, need input

I'm pretty new to gun ownership, about 2 months ago I got a subcompact Glock for carry. I have plans to get another handgun, and a shotgun for home defense. However with the election on the horizon and the very real possibility that a large amount of rifles will be banned, im looking at getting an assault rifle(i know there is dispute on the term but i don't know what else to call it)

My main purpose for it is defense. A shotgun and handguns will protect me and my home just fine. But if the crap hits the fan and the US government fails, or we get invaded, or there is a huge national disaster. I want to know that I can go out to my cabin and have a reasonable chance of protecting myself. I am thinking that an AR-15 would probably be my best bet, but I'm not sure which one to get. My main concerns are durability, reliability and longevity.

Another question I have, is if the Dems do pass a new ban will that mean that I wont be able to get an assault rifle, or just that the prices will go up?

I live in Nevada by the way.

Last edited by Knat; 10-15-2008 at 02:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

check out the one i built in my signature for ~$700USD
sure you could always buy one for $1000-$1500
but building it is cheaper and more fun

and there's plenty of threads on this forum that can help you out if you do decide to build one or buy one

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 10-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

knat - Well, I am one of the larger proponents of the AR platform. Personally I would like to see a well built AR in every good home in America.

Okay first things first. IF the Dems get total control ( House, Senate & White House ) it is assumed that they will be coming for our guns. They did it during the Klinton Reign and there is nothing to think that they won't try it again.

IF a new Assault Weapons Ban is implemented I believe that it will not be retroactive, it would just be too friggin hard to enforce, so pre dated models will still exist, just like last time. Some of the Occupied Terror-Tories might have trouble ( NY, NJ, Kalifornia, DC, etc. ) but most of the country should be okay. If that happens you can bet prices will probably double do to supply and demand. Some unscrupulous types will probably milk the market, but on average, plan on paying twice what the prices are now, across the board, if suddenly there is legislation banning new weapons for civilians.

Do I think it can happen? Yes, but not without a fight, so you will see the writing on the wall before it comes down.

As for the current state of the state: If you get a lower receiver on the books now, past history has shown you will be allowed to keep that receiver and build yourself one of the evil Black Rifles at your leisure, regardless of who is in charge ( since you don't live in one of the previously forementioned Kommunist States ).

Now, the AR isn't the end all beat all firearm, but it has several advantages. There are parts for it, and ammo, in every military armory, police station and sporting good store in the country ( more or less ), so should something truly catastrophic happen, you will be able to sustain it. Once you learn the system, it's easy to work on and easy to maintain. It's more accurate than Eastern Bloc models of a similiar nature.

However, you can get an SKS for probably $200, or less in some areas. The ammo isn't as plentiful, and the weapon isn't as accurate, but it will run damn near forever since it's an op-rod platform and they are VERY easy to maintain, so much so that a child could do it with about an hour or two training. It would put meat on the table and it would keep the wolves from the door in a time of crisis. If budget is an issue, this is a very good alternative.....

There are plenty of good folks on here who will gladly help you if you decide to shop for either platform. Best of luck moving forward!

JD

Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

ARs are a problematic platform. I used multiple variations of them in the military and they were all prone to misfeeds and jamming. M14s are an excellent option though if you can afford one. Also, being that you're a Nevada resident, you might want to look into Class 3. You may be one of the last of the machine gun owners.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dillinger-that's the FIRST thing I've EVER heard you say that I totally disagree with! I'm NOT a fan of ARs-even tho I used to use 1-perhaps because of it,who knows. But I'd rather have a mini 14 or other type than a ar anyday. Not saying they aren't excellent rifles-just that I won't own 1.

[QUOTE=Dillinger;45413]knat - Well, I am one of the larger proponents of the AR platform. Personally I would like to see a well built AR in every good home in America.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Dillinger-that's the FIRST thing I've EVER heard you say that I totally disagree with! I'm NOT a fan of ARs-even tho I used to use 1-perhaps because of it,who knows. But I'd rather have a mini 14 or other type than a ar anyday. Not saying they aren't excellent rifles-just that I won't own 1.
The key is the "well built" part. I agree there are other less problematic rifle platforms out there, but I guage some of that against the lack of knowledge by the user. Also, should a SHTF scenario actually happen, having the best battle rifle in the world, that doesn't have spare parts, or ammo, available isn't going to do you much good for long.

It's okay if you disagree though, that is what makes our country great s.bear!

JD

Old 10-15-2008, 04:44 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

You didn't say where in Nevada you are. In the Reno area you can check out sportsmans warehouse and Big 5. If you are in the Vegas area, check out Big 5, there are plenty of Russian rifles available. WalMart in a few locations still sells guns. Most sell ammo anyway.

There is a gun show at Cashman center this weekend, Sat and Sun Oct 18,19. Go there if you're in Las Vegas. Because you say you're new to guns, I'm assuming you haven't been to any, or many gun shows before. Be prepared for things other than guns to be available. Many more things than guns, in fact, I don't believe they should be called gun shows anymore.....

If you're in the North, it seems the gun shows are bigger there. The Big Reno Gun show is huge, the Big Las Vegas Gun show, not so big. At least you don't have to register handguns there.

Don't forget to check out the CMP if you want a real piece of history and a battle tried weapon. The M1 and the M1 carbine are proven Commie, Nazzi, and Kamikase killers, they should work just as well to dispatch domestic bad guys....

9x18=Makarov

Old 10-16-2008, 10:55 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'll neither agree, nor disagree, but it goes down like this. If you can't get an AR-15, get an AK-47. Since the imports are drying up, the prices should be about the same. If you can't get an AK-47, get the SKS. Prefferably one that takes the Ak mags. Then buy 1000 rounds of ammo for whichever you choose. To heck with politics, and to heck with arguing the pros and cons of each platform. An AR-15 requires more care to keep it operational.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
An AR-15 requires more care to keep it operational.
Where do you come up with this evaluation? Now if you are a soldier in the field of battle,yes,an AK can take a lot more sand,mud,etc. and remain operational over an AR. But when does this senario come into play with a normal person that hunts or shoots on a regular basis? I have never dragged any of my weapons through the mud or dropped them into a sand pile too see how dirty I have to get them in order for them to fail and don't think anyone else on this forum has either. If you abuse you weapons then you are going to have problems with them,If you care for them then you won't.
There is nothing to compare when it comes to the personal use of a weapon and one that is in the use of a soldier at war.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Where do you come up with this evaluation? Now if you are a soldier in the field of battle,yes,an AK can take a lot more sand,mud,etc. and remain operational over an AR. But when does this senario come into play with a normal person that hunts or shoots on a regular basis? I have never dragged any of my weapons through the mud or dropped them into a sand pile too see how dirty I have to get them in order for them to fail and don't think anyone else on this forum has either. If you abuse you weapons then you are going to have problems with them,If you care for them then you won't.
There is nothing to compare when it comes to the personal use of a weapon and one that is in the use of a soldier at war.
I kept mine spotless and only oiled as absolutely necessary. It double fed and jammed quite frequently.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.