About to buy a mosin - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > About to buy a mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner

Get the ati Monte Carlo stock. I got it for my sporter Mosin project and I have zero bad things to say about it. It's pretty heavy and does a great job absorbing the recoil of that thunderous round and the recoil pad is pretty good too. Here's a pic of my Mosin I used the ati conversion kit on...be very careful when buying a Mosin. I haven't seen anyone post about it but read carefully because this is the worst thing that can happen when buying a Mosin. You will more than likely suffer from a not-so-rare disease, especially around here, called Mosinitus. Mosinitus can have a few different symptoms including getting your C&R license and renting extra storage space for housing all the Mosins, oil cans, bayonets, slings and cleaning kits you bought because now that you have your C&R you can get them sent right to your door. You will more than likely end up with more than one Mosin...excersize extreme caution when buying your first Mosin. It will not be your last.
How much drilling is required for the scope?

Old 12-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #12

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

You will most likely have to buy a kit for your mosin nagants bolt handle if you want to mount a scope. The mosin nagants bolt handle stick straight out to the right and when you turn your bolt it will bang your scope and you won't be able to cock it, this is why the bolts are usually bent downward on scoped mosins

Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #13

And also try and get a hex reciever if you can they are a little more desirable and can be drilled and tapped for long eye relief scopes matching numbers are also a plus there are 4 places to look for matching numbers 1 on the reciever 2 on the bolt, 3. Under the the gun on the magazine 4 on top of the steel but plate some will have the numbers electro penciled and force matched if you get a mosin nagant before 1942 it will Probably be a lot nicer since it wasn't made during war try and get a mosin before 1942 and counter bore means that the rifle has been drilled smooth about 2 inches into the muzzle. The hex recievers usually have a nicer action but the ones after 1942 are okay. There are two soviet factories that made mosins izhevsk and tula both are ok but people tend to like the tulas better there isn't really a diffrence make sure your first mosin is nice you'll either love it or hate it if you bought a bad condition one don't get the chinese mosins almost all of them are junk

Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #14

Go to 762x54r.net to get more info it will answer most questions

Old 12-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #15

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

I am becoming more fanatical about Moisin Nagants everyday. For me they are project guns, but only in the sense that I try to bring them back to a 'new' look.

With some of the kits out there, and you mentioned stock replacement, I have to say for about the same money (or less) you can get modern rifle/scope combination that will be a better shooter. The soft point rounds in 7.62 x 54r are out there (if your dad is going to hunt), but not available everywhere and not much selection at all. Not trying to talk you out of anything, but, if you are going the Mosin route to save $$ and then proceed to sporterize it - you will not be saving any money IMHO

Old 12-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #16

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Chloeshooter is absolutely right. If you end up sporterizing then you will end up spending about the same money you would spend buying a modern rifle, which is almost a guarantee to be more accurate. The two reasons i sporterized mine was because I got a deal on a pair of Chinese Mosins and I kept one original and the one I sportered I was just looking for a fun project to do. If you decide that putting a scope mount, new bolt handle and a new stock is something you want to do as a learning experience please don't use a hex receiver or any of the more valuable Mosins. All that being said, it's your life, your gun so do whatever your heart desires. If you do end up getting that ATI kit you need to get a new tap to use instead of the one that comes with it. When I did mine luckily I broke it off in the Bolt handle instead of the receiver.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 12-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1890 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Chloeshooter is absolutely right. If you end up sporterizing then you will end up spending about the same money you would spend buying a modern rifle, which is almost a guarantee to be more accurate. The two reasons i sporterized mine was because I got a deal on a pair of Chinese Mosins and I kept one original and the one I sportered I was just looking for a fun project to do. If you decide that putting a scope mount, new bolt handle and a new stock is something you want to do as a learning experience please don't use a hex receiver or any of the more valuable Mosins. All that being said, it's your life, your gun so do whatever your heart desires. If you do end up getting that ATI kit you need to get a new tap to use instead of the one that comes with it. When I did mine luckily I broke it off in the Bolt handle instead of the receiver.
All taps are easy to break. All usable taps are case hardened. Case hardening makes metal brittle. It isn't that ATI sent a bad tap, you had to break a couple of them to learn to use a tap. Everyone that is handy with a tap has broken a few of them during the learning process.

I have a 91/30 that shoots just fine. It is a great short range hunting rifle. I have made some longer shots with it. I killed a coyote at 580 yards with a 91/30. I also missed a fox and another coyote in the same place.

I can't advise anyone to sporterize a milsurp rifle unless they have a Mauser. You can buy a rifle that will shoot sub MOA groups with factory ammo for under $500. There is no upside to sporterizing milsurp rifles other than self satisfaction. No matter what you do to a Russian Mosin Nagant it is still a $130 rifle that shoots as accurately as a shotgun with slugs.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-16-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #18

Liked 188 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

All taps are easy to break. All usable taps are case hardened. Case hardening makes metal brittle. It isn't that ATI sent a bad tap, you had to break a couple of them to learn to use a tap. Everyone that is handy with a tap has broken a few of them during the learning process.
Well the one I got after breaking the one ATI sent me worked no problem. The ATI tap broke on the first hole I did but the other one I bought did 3 with no problems. I have tapped holes before.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Savage Model 11
Saiga 7.62x39
Mossberg MVP Varmint
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2
53 Springfield M1 Garand

Old 12-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #19

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357
And also try and get a hex reciever if you can they are a little more desirable and can be drilled and tapped for long eye relief scopes matching numbers are also a plus there are 4 places to look for matching numbers 1 on the reciever 2 on the bolt, 3. Under the the gun on the magazine 4 on top of the steel but plate some will have the numbers electro penciled and force matched if you get a mosin nagant before 1942 it will Probably be a lot nicer since it wasn't made during war try and get a mosin before 1942 and counter bore means that the rifle has been drilled smooth about 2 inches into the muzzle. The hex recievers usually have a nicer action but the ones after 1942 are okay. There are two soviet factories that made mosins izhevsk and tula both are ok but people tend to like the tulas better there isn't really a diffrence make sure your first mosin is nice you'll either love it or hate it if you bought a bad condition one don't get the chinese mosins almost all of them are junk
The one that is being sold is a round reciever.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #20

Liked 2049 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
No matter what you do to a Russian Mosin Nagant it is still a $130 rifle that shoots as accurately as a shotgun with slugs.
I think a lot of people forget what they were designed for - killing Germans in an old-school, trench-warfare type situation. Yes they were used as sniper rifles. But in Stalingrad it was building to building type shooting and the same thing existed in Berlin in 1945.

Mosins were designed for simplicity in manufacturing and to your point about modern rifles, they were not even close in terms of tolerances, etc. Last time I checked we don't mount bayonets on modern rifles either

I would not hesitate to use a M-N out to 150 yards or so to take a deer with open sights. There are some hunting situations (woods) here in Minnesota where I'd actually prefer it. But like you say, let's not kid ourselves these things aren't Remington 700s