Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > About to buy a mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts

Default About to buy a mosin

My father is about to buy a Mosin from a FFL and I need some questions to ask the dealer before making the purchase.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

it has the cosmoline removed and has a bayonet.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 476

When you order a gun online if the gun is not everything the seller promised you can decline the gun. It costs nothing to decline a gun. Once you fill out the paperwork, pay the FFL fee and walk out the door the gun is yours. Inspect the gun well before you fill out any paperwork.

For milsurp specific questions this site has a lot of great info for buyers. http://www.milsurps.com/content.php

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Is he buying it from a store or online? If your buying it from a store take the bolt out and inspect the barrel. Is the barrel couterbored or not? Many were arsenal rebuilt, and you want to make sure yours will be a fine shooter. Are you getting anything else with it besides the bayonet? Usually they come with the bayonet, sling, tool, oiler, and magazine pouches. I may be forgetting another accessory but I'm not sure. You can find a ton of mosin info online with a simple google seach. Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase

Old 12-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortinsj
Is he buying it from a store or online? If your buying it from a store take the bolt out and inspect the barrel. Is the barrel couterbored or not? Many were arsenal rebuilt, and you want to make sure yours will be a fine shooter. Are you getting anything else with it besides the bayonet? Usually they come with the bayonet, sling, tool, oiler, and magazine pouches. I may be forgetting another accessory but I'm not sure. You can find a ton of mosin info online with a simple google seach. Hope this helps and good luck with the purchase
An FFL dealer.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #6

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

You need to remove the bolt by sliding it all the way back and pulling the trigger, it will fall right out, then check the bore. Look through the barrel at a light to make sure it's not pitted from corrosive ammo or shot out. Then you want to check the crown. Do this by shining a flashlight down the mussel side of the barrel to see if it has been counter bored. If it is, it's not nessisarily bad, just a sign of lots of use. Since rimmed casings (7.62x54r) index their head spacing off the cartridges rim so theres not a huge concern about head space but it could never hurt to run a set of go no-go gauges through it. You can test the strength of the firing pin spring by putting the bolt in like a half cock and pulling the trigger. A good spring will cause the bolt to close the ALL THE WAY, and rather quickly. If the bolt handle just kinda drops a little bit and doesn't fully close you might have some light primer strikes with it. Make sure they include all the accessories that are supposed to go with it. Not much more to look out for. Buy some ammo and shoot the hell out of it!

Here's what it should come with aside from the bayonet. You may or may not get a sling. The other picture is the "half cocked" I was talking about.

image-219409454.jpg   image-3577068417.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92
You need to remove the bolt by sliding it all the way back and pulling the trigger, it will fall right out, then check the bore. Look through the barrel at a light to make sure it's not pitted from corrosive ammo or shot out. Then you want to check the crown. Do this by shining a flashlight down the mussel side of the barrel to see if it has been counter bored. If it is, it's not nessisarily bad, just a sign of lots of use. Since rimmed casings (7.62x54r) index their head spacing off the cartridges rim so theres not a huge concern about head space but it could never hurt to run a set of go no-go gauges through it. You can test the strength of the firing pin spring by putting the bolt in like a half cock and pulling the trigger. A good spring will cause the bolt to close the ALL THE WAY, and rather quickly. If the bolt handle just kinda drops a little bit and doesn't fully close you might have some light primer strikes with it. Make sure they include all the accessories that are supposed to go with it. Not much more to look out for. Buy some ammo and shoot the hell out of it!

Here's what it should come with aside from the bayonet. You may or may not get a sling. The other picture is the "half cocked" I was talking about.
Thanks for the help

Old 12-16-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1770 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjkf View Post
My father is about to buy a Mosin from a FFL and I need some questions to ask the dealer before making the purchase.
Dry fire it too. Make sure the metal bands holding the top handguard are holding it in place tightly

Check for cracks in the stock too. A decent MN cleans up real nice
forumrunner_20131215_204706.jpg  

Last edited by chloeshooter; 12-16-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

Dry fire it too. Make sure the metal bands holding the top handguard are holding it in place tightly

Check for cracks in the stock too. A decent MN cleans up real nice
Ok. We are planning to get an aftermarket stock. Any suggestions? Scout style scope is out of the question.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:28 AM   #10

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthjkf

Ok. We are planning to get an aftermarket stock. Any suggestions? Scout style scope is out of the question.
Get the ati Monte Carlo stock. I got it for my sporter Mosin project and I have zero bad things to say about it. It's pretty heavy and does a great job absorbing the recoil of that thunderous round and the recoil pad is pretty good too. Here's a pic of my Mosin I used the ati conversion kit on...be very careful when buying a Mosin. I haven't seen anyone post about it but read carefully because this is the worst thing that can happen when buying a Mosin. You will more than likely suffer from a not-so-rare disease, especially around here, called Mosinitus. Mosinitus can have a few different symptoms including getting your C&R license and renting extra storage space for housing all the Mosins, oil cans, bayonets, slings and cleaning kits you bought because now that you have your C&R you can get them sent right to your door. You will more than likely end up with more than one Mosin...excersize extreme caution when buying your first Mosin. It will not be your last.
image-2107925877.jpg   image-3655418221.jpg  

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2