Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 91/30

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1631 Times on 854 Posts
Likes Given: 3375

There are quite a few different 91-30s. Round receiver, or square receiver. Solid wood stock, or laminated. Some have red lettering, some white, and others no color at all. Look it over for rust. See if the numbers match on the bolt, receiver and butt plate. Try to get one that includes the bayonet, sling, and firing pin depth gauge.
Clean the chamber well before firing. Get all the cosmoline out of it.

Here is some good info on them. A Brief Overview of the Mosin-Nagant Rifle

Hex receiver

Round receiver.

Round receiver.

Last edited by towboater; 10-17-2011 at 04:00 AM.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

Liked 7546 Times on 3284 Posts
Likes Given: 1118

Jeepster- a gun becomes a C&R one of 3 ways-
1. Being 50 yrs old.
2. BATFE is petitioned (usually by museum curator) to designate a specific gun as a C&R
3. Gun is already on the C&R list published by BATFE.

In the case of the Russian 91/30, it is on the list by name. Without regard to age (and I do think they are all 50 yrs anyway) if a gun is listed, it IS a C&R. ALL Winchester Mdl 88 rifles, ALL Colt Woodsman pistols, etc. Here is a link to the list.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-11/atf-p-5300-11.pdf

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:11 PM   #13

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4277

Budsgunshop.com...$109.00, ship it to your LGS, mil-surp ammo, while corrosive, 440 rounds for under $100.00. It doesn't really matter much about matching numbers or mix and match parts, it'll be worth about the same because there are just millions of these things floating around. Do your basic check like you would on any used gun, get a bigger safe because these things multiply like rabbits...not kidding, I bought one and they've reproduced to three. Best thing about these guns, besides the price is the history. Chances are, if it was manufactured before the mid 1940's it saw action somewhere. It's just a super cool gun to have and think about, modify the h**l out of it...(blasphemy) or leave it as is, best hundred bucks I ever spent!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #14

Love my M91/30...when you get it, this is a good place to start for identifying your rifle:
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm.......also try J&G Guns (Prescott, Az) their website has a free manual for the rifle to download, buy a limb saver, the steel butt plate is not comfortable after a few clips....

Old 10-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #15

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Just remember...once you get the m91 you will need to get it's little brother...M44 carbine.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I want the M44 for that underwear soiling inducing fireball.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:41 PM   #17

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Yeah...a Mosin BBQ...a couple brats on the bayo, 20 rounds down range and lunch is served.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #18

This has been around for a while but I haven't seen a link to it lately: a comparison of the AK47, the AR15, and the Mosin-Nagant:

Mosin Nagant Humor* AK vs. AR vs. Mosin Nagant

My favorite part is the accuracy comparison. With an AK you can hit the broad side of a barn from inside, with an AR you can hit it from 600 meters, and with a Mosin you can hit it from two counties over.

Dave

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
- The Simpsons

Old 10-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #19

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I want the M44 for that underwear soiling inducing fireball.
Depends on the ammo. BTW, 2 rounds and a hotdog is chared and split. Light ball produces the best fireball. You don't notice it untill the sun starts to set, then it blinds you.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:02 AM   #20
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post
This has been around for a while but I haven't seen a link to it lately: a comparison of the AK47, the AR15, and the Mosin-Nagant:

Mosin Nagant Humor* AK vs. AR vs. Mosin Nagant

My favorite part is the accuracy comparison. With an AK you can hit the broad side of a barn from inside, with an AR you can hit it from 600 meters, and with a Mosin you can hit it from two counties over.

Dave
I've had that saved to my bookmarks for a while.

My favorite is "you can bayonet your enemy on the other side of the river without leaving the comfort of your hole"

But really I love the whole thing.