8mm Mauser vs .308 Winchester


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 8mm Mauser vs .308 Winchester

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default 8mm Mauser vs .308 Winchester

Just out of curiosity, how do they compare in ballistics?



__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 04-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

.308 Winchester (7.62X51)
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
150 gr (10 g) Nosler tip 2,820 ft/s (860 m/s) 2,648 ft·lbf (3,590 J)
165 gr (11 g) BTSP 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) 2,671 ft·lbf (3,621 J)
168 gr (11 g) BTHP 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) 2,630 ft·lbf (3,570 J)
175 gr (11 g) BTHP 2,645 ft/s (806 m/s) 2,720 ft·lbf (3,690 J)
Test barrel length: 24 in


8MM Mauser (7.92X57)
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
11.7 g (181 gr) RWS DK 820 m/s (2,700 ft/s) 3,934 J (2,902 ft·lbf)
12.1 g (187 gr) RWS HMK 820 m/s (2,700 ft/s) 4,068 J (3,000 ft·lbf)
12.7 g (196 gr) RWS TMR 800 m/s (2,600 ft/s) 4,064 J (2,997 ft·lbf)
12.8 g (198 gr) RWS ID Classic 800 m/s (2,600 ft/s) 4,096 J (3,021 ft·lbf)
Test barrel length: 600 mm (23.62 in)
Source(s): RWS / RUAG Ammotech [1]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser



__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
wittmeba is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
.308 Winchester (7.62X51)
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
150 gr (10 g) Nosler tip 2,820 ft/s (860 m/s) 2,648 ft·lbf (3,590 J)
165 gr (11 g) BTSP 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) 2,671 ft·lbf (3,621 J)
168 gr (11 g) BTHP 2,700 ft/s (820 m/s) 2,630 ft·lbf (3,570 J)
175 gr (11 g) BTHP 2,645 ft/s (806 m/s) 2,720 ft·lbf (3,690 J)
Test barrel length: 24 in


8MM Mauser (7.92X57)
Ballistic performance
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
11.7 g (181 gr) RWS DK 820 m/s (2,700 ft/s) 3,934 J (2,902 ft·lbf)
12.1 g (187 gr) RWS HMK 820 m/s (2,700 ft/s) 4,068 J (3,000 ft·lbf)
12.7 g (196 gr) RWS TMR 800 m/s (2,600 ft/s) 4,064 J (2,997 ft·lbf)
12.8 g (198 gr) RWS ID Classic 800 m/s (2,600 ft/s) 4,096 J (3,021 ft·lbf)
Test barrel length: 600 mm (23.62 in)
Source(s): RWS / RUAG Ammotech [1]


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.92%C3%9757mm_Mauser
Thanks for the info! Would you say it'd be fine for whitetail?
__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:04 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,206
Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester94 View Post
Thanks for the info! Would you say it'd be fine for whitetail?
Both are great whitetail rounds.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

Certainly.

__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
wittmeba is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

I love military surplus rifles and was just curious how it compared.

__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

I should add that my lgs has a good deal on a Czech large ring Mauser.

__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
TLuker Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
303tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3,960
Liked 1343 Times on 913 Posts
Likes Given: 1446

Default

They are both great White-tail rounds & only the availability makes the .308 a better round !..............

__________________

When all else fails.

303tom is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:04 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shoobee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Commiefornia USA
Posts: 1,552
Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default

The 8mm Mauser was a German hunting gun adapted to warfare.

It compares similarly with the 30-06 Springfield, although slightly less powerful than the 06. But more powerful than the 308.

All 3 of them ('06, Mauser, and 308) are essentially big game hunting guns.

The Germans realized first that these calibers were essentially too big for practical infantry warfare. Great for snipers, not good for foot soldiers.

Thus the carbine era was then born with the StG, AK and M-1 Carbine.

These ultimately evolved into the AK-74 and the AR's.

So it all depends on your quary.

If you are hunting or defending-against men, then the AK-74 or the various American 5.56's are better.

If you are hunting deer, then the 308's or Mauser's are better.

__________________
Shoobee is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Winchester94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 840
Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
They are both great White-tail rounds & only the availability makes the .308 a better round !..............
I've already got a .308 and don't have a milsurp rifle yet so I'm think of getting the 8mm.


__________________
Winchester94 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
2nd Mauser - FR7 Spanish Mauser marc29th Curio & Relic Discussion 1 06-21-2013 03:17 AM
mauser spanish m43 7x57 mauser fixing question bluebikerboy1 General Rifle Discussion 2 05-31-2013 08:07 PM
Mauser rifle Comparision: Mauser k98 vs M24 series theeuropeangoth General Rifle Discussion 7 04-04-2013 01:23 AM
Winchester Ammo Super X Buckshot by Winchester 12 Gauge sale truehuntersupply Sponsor Display 0 04-24-2009 04:42 PM