Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   8mm Mauser ammo... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/8mm-mauser-ammo-45021/)

Nashorn101 07-11-2011 05:13 AM

8mm Mauser ammo...

Ok. I just recently bought my Kar98. But I want to use it as a hunting rifle, and a plinking rifle. But in some situations I wouldnt be able to clean the rifle after I have shot it (while Id be huntin [and using corrosive ammo]). Or atleast I wouldnt be able to clean it for a long time; after I shot it.
What do I need to do to my Kar98 after Ive shot it? And I cant clean it?
Also, how long after you fire corrosive ammo through it does the corrosion start to set in?

CA357 07-11-2011 05:40 AM

You can buy new commercial ammunition and it's non corrosive. Just shoot the good ammo if you're out where you would have issues cleaning the rifle.

As far as after shooting corrosive ammunition, I spray some water down the barrel, run some wet patches through followed by a few dry patches and then spray a bit of WD40 down the barrel. Then I wet a couple of patches with it and run them through.

Then it can wait until I'm home and a regular cleaning.

BTW, I haven't fired the new 24/47 yet, but that's how I used to clean my Mosin's.

Wambli 07-11-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashorn101 (Post 538714)
Ok. I just recently bought my Kar98. But I want to use it as a hunting rifle, and a plinking rifle. But in some situations I wouldnt be able to clean the rifle after I have shot it (while Id be huntin [and using corrosive ammo]). Or atleast I wouldnt be able to clean it for a long time; after I shot it.
What do I need to do to my Kar98 after Ive shot it? And I cant clean it?
Also, how long after you fire corrosive ammo through it does the corrosion start to set in?

Depending on the ammo and climate it could start corroding within minutes. All the corrosive ammo I've seen is military surplus which is NOT good hunting ammo. Privi makes a good modern, non-corrosive hunting load for the 8mm and it is cheap.

c3shooter 07-11-2011 12:05 PM

What they said up there ^^^^.

EVERYBODY and his brother makes a commercial 8mm Mauser suited for hunting- Winchester Remington Federal S&B Prvi etc. MILSURP is FMJ ammo, not intended for hunting non-people.

With corrosive ammo, you can do a field cleaning the same way the soldiers in the field have cleaned a rifle for 100 years- cup of hot water thru the barrel, brush, andother cup of hot water, dry patch, oiled patch. The Brits used to refer to "brewing up" a rifle. One cup of hot water for the bore, one for the teacup.

Arizona- nothing rusts. Louisianna- steel is considered bio-degradable.

robocop10mm 07-11-2011 02:17 PM

Hunting with mil-surp corrosive ammo is a bad idea, even if just hunting hogs. Get good quality soft point, non-corrosive ammo.

jpattersonnh 07-11-2011 09:50 PM

Great advice on surplus. Now for commercail hunting ammo. For cheaper sp ammo S&B is better then Prvi. I've shot both and alway chalked up bad groups on me. Well guess what. When I started shooting my Repro sniper, prvi 196gr was 12" low. S&B 196gr was perfect, or acceptable. Worst was 2" low at 200 yards.
Sellier and Bellot 8x57 JS 196 gr SPCE 20/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Spend the extra 4.00 bucks.

Nashorn101 07-12-2011 02:32 AM

Ok thanks guys. And is there any cheaper commercial 8mm ammo? I looked for the Prvi9 ammo and it was all $1 a bullet!
Also. So after I shoot the rifle..I do what? Spray the down the barrel with WD40? Is that a way to impede the corrosion?

CA357 07-12-2011 02:40 AM

The WD40 is only for after you use water in the barrel to cut corrosion. Otherwise, just clean the barrel in the normal manner.

Commercial ammunition can run around a dollar or more a round. That's just the cost of shooting 8mm Mauser. You'll need a few rounds to sight the rifle in and a few for actually hunting. A box or two should be more than enough.

How many deer do you plan on shooting anyway? ;)

c3shooter 07-12-2011 03:28 AM

Nash- the captain has turned on the "No Whining" sign :p

Just be glad you do not have to feed the Winchester 71 I inherited.

current price from Buffalo Bore- yes, that is for 20 rounds....

Heavy 348 Winchester Rifle Ammunition
SKU: 12A/20
List Price: $92.0

Nashorn101 07-12-2011 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 539349)
The WD40 is only for after you use water in the barrel to cut corrosion. Otherwise, just clean the barrel in the normal manner.

Commercial ammunition can run around a dollar or more a round. That's just the cost of shooting 8mm Mauser. You'll need a few rounds to sight the rifle in and a few for actually hunting. A box or two should be more than enough.

How many deer do you plan on shooting anyway? ;)

Ok. I'll figure something out. Thanks.
And I planning on shooting Hogs and Varmints with the Kar98. haha