8mm mauser? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

8mm mauser?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 06:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lilbailnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 98
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

I have had nothing but good,good and more good with the 50's yugo surplus ammo! I came across it one time at a LGS and bought 300rds and a week later I went and cleaned them out paying 4.55$ a box of 15 and made own little surplus of nearly 3k rounds! No lie I've maybe been through about 600 rounds or so and ONCE only I had to double cock and fire again. This 50's stuff in general seems to be flawless thus far and it's quite accurate though I haven't pushed anything farther than 350yds or so. No lie, I with the fantastic iron sights on my K98 had 4.446 inch group at 200yds Again the rifle and ammo is likely more accurate than me but it made me smile large! Note it was my best group and no I wasn't standing but rifle and ammo does it itself

Last edited by lilbailnick; 11-08-2012 at 06:36 PM.
lilbailnick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 508
Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Default

Yep, I like this stuff too. You should be set for a while with what sounds like a great deal. I wish my eyes were good enough to shoot 200 yards. But when I get frustrated by what my Mosin is doing, I switch to the 98K and it makes the rest of my day at the range, especially with the Yugo ammo. The brass is reloadable, but I have yet to find out what loads to use to approach the group size of the original Yugo loading
HM2Grunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 5,208
Liked 781 Times on 545 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt View Post
Yep, I like this stuff too. You should be set for a while with what sounds like a great deal. I wish my eyes were good enough to shoot 200 yards. But when I get frustrated by what my Mosin is doing, I switch to the 98K and it makes the rest of my day at the range, especially with the Yugo ammo. The brass is reloadable, but I have yet to find out what loads to use to approach the group size of the original Yugo loading
What yugo ammo is reloadable?? 1950's is berdan primed. Even the '70's is berdan primed.
__________________
Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.
jpattersonnh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
-06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 134
Liked 35 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Have one carbine and one K98 in 8mm (another 98 converted to '06) and interested in "Cottontop's" changing '06 brass to 8mm. Thanks for the info on good ammo. Only have a wee bit of 8's so will be picking up some.
-06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 8x57 brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by -06 View Post
Have one carbine and one K98 in 8mm (another 98 converted to '06) and interested in "Cottontop's" changing '06 brass to 8mm. Thanks for the info on good ammo. Only have a wee bit of 8's so will be picking up some.

Will send you an email describing the process.
cottontop
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:34 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Don357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 23
Likes Given: 2

Default

I have a Yugo M48 that seems to like the Sellier & Bellot 196gr CESP for hunting. It's good clean, reloadable ammo, much harder hitting than US commercial stuff for about half the price.
__________________
NAHC Life Member
G&G CETME Club
The PSL Lounge
Minister
Don357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 508
Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Default

To jpattersonnhYugo 1950's ammo is Berdan and when I was having trouble finding any 8mm rounds to shoot, I decided to learn how to reload Berdan. Not hard. RCBS sells a tool to decap the fired case, and Grafs and Son sell the Berdan primers. Primers are a little larger than Boxer, so I have to singlely load the primers with my RCBS hand primer, but after putting in the primer, the remaining reload sequence is the same as Boxer. In times of less ammo, I have one more option

Last edited by HM2Grunt; 11-11-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: clarity to who I am responding
HM2Grunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
lilbailnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 98
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM2Grunt
To jpattersonnhYugo 1950's ammo is Berdan and when I was having trouble finding any 8mm rounds to shoot, I decided to learn how to reload Berdan. Not hard. RCBS sells a tool to decap the fired case, and Grafs and Son sell the Berdan primers. Primers are a little larger than Boxer, so I have to singlely load the primers with my RCBS hand primer, but after putting in the primer, the remaining reload sequence is the same as Boxer. In times of less ammo, I have one more option
About how much does it cost you to reload 8mm? And I know that there isn't much to say there's savings! As to your statement said you reload 8mm based on availability but I'd like to know my options with it because of hand loads are simply better all around? Your thoughts?
lilbailnick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #19
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default 8 mm Mauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbailnick View Post
About how much does it cost you to reload 8mm? And I know that there isn't much to say there's savings! As to your statement said you reload 8mm based on availability but I'd like to know my options with it because of hand loads are simply better all around? Your thoughts?

I don't know, nor do I care about saving money by reloading 8mm Mauser (or any other caliber). I don't spend my money on drinking, smoking, playing golf, bowling or any other activity that might be considered frivilous. Reloading and shooting is my only vice and hobby. I reload so that I can have the ammo always available and because I can have better quality and more accurate ammo by reloading. For example, in my Husqvarna hunting sporter in 8x57, I can shoot 170 grain Remington factory loads and the rifle will group them around 2" at 100 yards with a MV of around 2300fps. With a 180 grain Nosler BT and CFE223 powder I can hand load for a MV of around 2600fps and it will group 1/2" at 100 yards. Looking at those figures, I think I prefer the handloads. Which load would you choose?
cottontop
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 508
Liked 211 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Default

I would have to say that my sentiments would be like Cottontopshooting center fire bolt action rifles is my main time and money consuming pleasure.(Obama, you let me be now) The primers for the Berdan cases are a little pricey, that having to do with the high hazardous materials fee you pay to get them sent to you, but I enjoy reloading, and learning other ways to reload. I reloaded Berdan when I couldn't find any other 8mm to shoot in quantity. I suppose I could find some US made 8mm rounds, but I once had a German K-43, the the US made rounds were too low powered to make the rifle function. You will have to "Google" to find out why they are produced under powered. I try to load my 8s to original ballistics because the barrel rifling, the sights, and most of all, my scope is metered to work best with this power of ammo, by German design. I also learned to reload both Boxer and Berdan as a hedge to times when ammunition may not be available. Expense in reloading is up front if you don't have any equipment. I have been reloading since the 70's and have what I need to reload. Some of the tools have been with me for some time. Back to your questions: How much does it cost to reload 8mm? Don't know. Am not sure what you are trying to ask with the second part of the question, but will answer that hand loads are as good as the amount of time you put into researching and experimenting putting them together. But if you like to buy a box of commercial rounds because you can't find any surplus that's OK too. It's your hobby, enjoy. Take your rifle out and shoot;take a non-gun friend out to shoot, take your wife and kids out to should. Shoot the sht out of it, but remember that cleaning is also a most pleasurable part of the whole package.
HM2Grunt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
K98 Mauser PcolaCatFan Curio & Relic Discussion 26 03-31-2012 11:08 PM
My mauser =D Lessdragon DIY Projects 10 03-06-2012 02:12 PM
Mauser Help?? Trez Curio & Relic Discussion 4 02-25-2012 06:42 PM
8mm mauser? sngreen1 General Rifle Discussion 33 03-08-2011 03:22 AM
New RC K98 Mauser hcso617 Curio & Relic Discussion 8 12-29-2010 02:28 AM



Newest Threads