7mm rem mag
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7mm rem mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 11:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 7mm rem mag

Hi, i'm looking to buy a new rifle, really thinking bout a 7mm mag. I have a savage model 11, 270 wsm, been shooting it for 10 years but now looking for something new. I really like the 7mm mag but i never shot one. My uncle has one but says its not the best caliber to shoot at the range, due to the recoil. I do hunt but i go to range a lot more through out the year. I just wanted to know if the 7mm mag is too much to shoot consistently at the range.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-30-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3276 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

totempted,

I will start out by saying I am a big fan of the 7MM Remington Mag round. I have one in a Remington 700 CDL. I use it most of the time for hunting in Texas on the lease and have for several years. As far as a hunting round it's ballistics ,trajectory and accuracy is "Great". Set it's Zero at 1.3" high at 100 and shoot out to 300 with very little adjustment. But your Uncle has a good point! For a day on the range with firing a lot of rounds it could be a little too much! Also the cost of the ammunition should you purchase it from a store to be shooting a lot of rounds would be cost prohibitive. *NO SURPLUS AMMO AVAILABLE! You could reload it but it is still more expensive by far than a 308 for example. On the other hand, if you are going to shoot a few rounds at the range and are wanting longer range superior accuracy it would be a good choice. So I guess you need to consider the above uses for it to suit your needs. But as I said it is a fantastic round!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
People Like This 
Old 03-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #3

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 497

My 7mm is a BAR and the recoil is less bothersome than the old springfield 30-06 that sits next to it.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:28 AM   #4

Liked 387 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I recently picked a Ruger up in 7mm rem mag. From what I here recoil is about 30% less than a .300 win mag.
File Type: jpg 1427761653168.jpg (37.4 KB, 34 views)

Old 03-31-2015, 12:50 AM   #5

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 497

I shot an M77 in 7mm in my youth... it bucks.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:02 AM   #6

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 40

7mm Rem mag recoil is very similar to 30-06 recoil. - Generally speaking, it involves a lighter bullet going a bit faster.

My last 7mm Rem mag rifle had a hard plastic butt-plate and I never got any bruising out of it. - It has some authority but I do not consider it to be a hard kicker.

But that's just me.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:40 AM   #7

Liked 327 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I would not look at ether a 7mm RM or the 270wsm as a "range " rifle . Hunting or match build maybe but not a go to the range to bang rounds with . Go buy a 223 or 308. Keep your hunter for just that out side of what you need to learn about your load or scope setting my 7mmRM custom does not hang around a range and its a very accurate sub 3/8"moa heavy hunter custom . Tts 18 years old now and still darn near as good as when built . That almost part is more than likely me .

Old 03-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 573 Times on 413 Posts
Likes Given: 180

I would tend to agree that a 7mm magnum is not a round for extended time at the range,, I have a custom Czech Mauser in 7 mm Remington magnum. It has a medium 26" barrel and laminated stock which makes it about a pound or more heavier than most factory rifles, the 140 and 150 grain fodder has very tolerable felt recoil, the 160 and 175's can be a bit stiff. To me, it is a hunting rifle, my favorite loads are with a 160 grain Nosler Partition,, I have taken bison, elk, deer, wild hogs, and for just about anything that I would hunt in North America, I feel very confident in the rifle and cartridge,, I have no desire to hunt grizzlies but given my shot, I am sure it could cleanly take one, but I would prefer a much heavier round. For an all around hunting round, it is a very good one for me. I would get another range rifle.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1435 Times on 756 Posts
Likes Given: 626

One of the beautiful things about 7mm Rem Mag is that it is a very fast, flat shooting round, which makes hunting much easier and it has enough power to take most North American game with one well-placed shot. However, this is not a round you typically want to take to the range and shoot a couple of boxes of ammo. Sight in the scope just as Sniper03 detailed above and use it as your primary hunting gun - you'll be very successful with it!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 04-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

Liked 324 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Magnums are fun.
Proly lose the shine at about 2 boxes.

Having shot for years, once a rig is set I'm bored within a box at the range. I'd rather be out hunting. Besides, 100 yard ranges are yawners. Heck, even 200 yards is boring with a decent scoped rifle. Unless you're testing varmint rigs/precision handloads.

Newest Threads