7mm Mag

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7mm Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 7mm Mag

I just though of my grandpas 7mm and the trigger on it is so hairy it's like if you pull it back half a millimeter it goes off and that is as far as it will go back so I guest my question is why have it set like that

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #2

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Why is it set like that?? Because your grandpa likes a great adjustable and probably lite trigger pull. Not the heavy creeply trigger factories tend to throw at productions rifles. Some rifles come with a quality fully adjustable triggers even set triggers and other rifle come with what some of us think are not very good at all and replace or tune our triggers on most rifles to make a better trigger pull thats still practical and safe and help to shoot more accuratly. Its all about what YOU like as to how lite or "touchy" you think it is. My lightest trigger is 8oz on a target fun rifle and my 2 centerfire hunters are at 1.4 lb and 2lb with no pre or after travel. I have had them for many years and enjoy a good trigger for hunting or target use.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

What type of rifle is it? Is it a hunting rifle? Because if so I would say that is probably a home-gunsmith/"bubba'd" trigger job.

I can't see any reason to have a hunting rifle with a trigger pull that light. You are hiking, stalking, moving, aligning the shot, maybe in harsh weather, maybe gloves, maybe not, and a trigger that light just seems like a detriment to me.

If it's more a benchrest style gun the trigger pull is completely within the range of "normal" but there is no reason to have a hair trigger on a field gun.

JD

Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok well it's a hunting rifle for shure

Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Take it to a qualified gunsmith in your area and just have them give it a once over, for safety. I would suspect they would recommend altering the trigger to something a little safer.

Good luck, and be careful.

JD

Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #6

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

it just depends (depended) on what your grandpa was tryin to do........actually it depends on HOW he was tryin to do it.

if he couldn't hold the rifle steady enough, then as soon as he was on target, he wanted the gun to go boom. because if you've ever tried to hold any rifle still, in order to "squeeze" the trigger, you know that heartbeat/pulse rate and breathin, both affect target acquisition and shot placement.

some like a "lite" trigger, some are scared of them. BUT, BUT, BUT, IT ALLOWS FOR "NO" ROOM FOR ERROR. whatever you aim @ and touch the trigger off on, is gonna be destroyed.

i would prolly have it moved to around 4lbs tho.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by USEBOTHHANDS View Post

i would prolly have it moved to around 4lbs tho.
My 'smith won't adjust lower than about 3.5#'s on any "field rifle" if he doesn't specifically know the shooter and his skill set. The liability is just too great.

4lbs. is a very good trigger weight for a hunting rifle IMO.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A rifle with that light sear engagemet may allow the bolt to slide over and not cock. Rifles with this set up will often fire when the saftey is released as well. I would check the sear surface and mating edges.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6359 Times on 3553 Posts
Likes Given: 5933

Everyone's taste is different.

I prefer a 3 lb trigger on a hunting or SHTF rifle, and and 8 oz trigger on a target rifle.

But a friend of mine who is one of the finest marksmen I've ever known has custom triggers on all of his bolt guns set at 2 oz.

However, unless you're a VERY EXPERIENCED rifleman, I would never recommend a trigger under 3 lbs. If you have a good gunsmith do your trigger, and it's glass smooth and crisp, even a 4 or 5 lb trigger will feel like 2 lbs.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

People Like This 
Old 09-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

The 7mm Remington Magnum was the main counter-sniper rifle for the Secret Service for many years. Snipers like a short, smooth, and easy trigger.