7mm mag. or 300win mag - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7mm mag. or 300win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #21

I would choose neither as the 6.5x55 and the 7x57 are my favorite rounds; but, if you had to choose between the two you mentioned, I would pick the 7mm Mag.
ct

Old 05-14-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I like 30-06, but since you don't want that caliber, I'd go with 6.5x55. I'm planning on building a precision rifle around that caliber. It has been know to beat 30-06 and .308 in regard to accuracy out to a certain distance. (It's used in a lot of accuracy competitions in Europe). It is also a great caliber for deer.

If your just wanting a round on steroids, go with the .300 win mag. You better like a little kick though. Its also not necessary for deer hunting.

Out of the two you listed, I'd go with the 7mm mag.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Of the 2 I prefer the .300 win mag. But I only use my .300 when I know I going to be dropping something at of 300 yards. Under 300 yards the .308 or the .270 are my preferences. Under 100 yards. .44 mag from a lever or super Blackhawk.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
Rob I would advise you against getting a Rem 700 they are not what they used to be, take it from a LONG TIME Remington fan the 700s made after 07 are not as good, I bought one and it was so bad I cannot begin to describe it. Since swearing off Remington I have found Tikka and Savage rifles to be even better then my good old old 700s.
The 7mm Rem Mag is alot more logical then the 300 for those of us who don't live in big bear/moose/elk country, they shoot just as flat just as far and hit with an overabundance of authority out to limits of realistic shooting ranges. I have owned three of them over the years (two of which were Rem 700s) and while the recoil is not 300 Mag bad none of mine were really fun to shoot they were a chore, some people say the 7mm Rem Mag is only equivalent to the 30-06 in terms of recoil I call BS on that, recoil calculators can say what they like but I have plenty of experience with both, they might have the same amount of push but the big 7 is much more snappy. OK now for the really good stuff, the 7mm Rem Mag is a HIGHLY versatile cartridge, as a handloader I can push 140gr deer bombs to 3,400fps making the big 7 shoot just as flat as my 270 WSM, or I can push 160gr bonded hog thumpers to just over 3,000fps which is a remarkable "do anything" load. Push come to shove if I need to shoot through a thick bodied animal I can push 175gr Partitions to just over 2,800 fps.
Any experience with the Marlin x7 Rifles? That was another I was considering. I keep hearing bad reviews on the new rem 700's. Don't have a lot of money to spend but I want somthing decent for at or around 500 bucks or less.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 PM   #25

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 757

$500.00 you say!
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/ 111 Hunter XP Package.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #26

Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
Any experience with the Marlin x7 Rifles? That was another I was considering. I keep hearing bad reviews on the new rem 700's. Don't have a lot of money to spend but I want somthing decent for at or around 500 bucks or less.
I owned an XS7 308 that I really enjoyed a few years ago, I am not sure if it was a pre or post buyout rifle but it shot good even with factory fodder, not a great rifle but a solid value. On a $500 budget I would give Savages a REAL hard look, I have owned half a dozen of them and I have a hard time thinking about anything bad to say about them. I have seen new 110s for sale for as little as $300, my last one I bought for $386 with a cheap Bushnell scope and some cheap rings. BassPro has a Savage 110 combo with laminate stock and nice Prostaff BDC for around $550, that is a nice deal. I have seen a few Tikka T3s for sale under the $500 mark and that is my favorite rifle all around.
As far as caliber goes here is my take.
300 Win Mag if you want a heftyy dose of overkill and don't mind the a real stout kick.
30-06 if you want the ultimate in hunting versatility and don't mind a little overkill on deer class game.
308 if you want an auto loader or a dandy compact short action woods rifle.
7mm Rem Mag if you want a crazy flat shooter capable of taking deer-elk and you don't mind a little extra kick or paying a bit more for ammo.
270 if you want a solid all around deer hunting rifle that you can buy ammo for anywhere.
260/6.5 Creedmore if you want the perfect deer hunting/long ranged target rifle and don't mind going to a real gun store to buy ammo (or you reload)
25-06 if you are a recoil shy and want a super flat shooter, or you want a perfect deer/varmint combo rifle.
243 or 6.5x55 if you want a super light kicking rifle capable of taking deer (the 6.5x55 can be loaded to 260 levels but factory ammo is VERY mild)
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post

I owned an XS7 308 that I really enjoyed a few years ago, I am not sure if it was a pre or post buyout rifle but it shot good even with factory fodder, not a great rifle but a solid value. On a $500 budget I would give Savages a REAL hard look, I have owned half a dozen of them and I have a hard time thinking about anything bad to say about them. I have seen new 110s for sale for as little as $300, my last one I bought for $386 with a cheap Bushnell scope and some cheap rings. BassPro has a Savage 110 combo with laminate stock and nice Prostaff BDC for around $550, that is a nice deal. I have seen a few Tikka T3s for sale under the $500 mark and that is my favorite rifle all around.
As far as caliber goes here is my take.
300 Win Mag if you want a heftyy dose of overkill and don't mind the a real stout kick.
30-06 if you want the ultimate in hunting versatility and don't mind a little overkill on deer class game.
308 if you want an auto loader or a dandy compact short action woods rifle.
7mm Rem Mag if you want a crazy flat shooter capable of taking deer-elk and you don't mind a little extra kick or paying a bit more for ammo.
270 if you want a solid all around deer hunting rifle that you can buy ammo for anywhere.
260/6.5 Creedmore if you want the perfect deer hunting/long ranged target rifle and don't mind going to a real gun store to buy ammo (or you reload)
25-06 if you are a recoil shy and want a super flat shooter, or you want a perfect deer/varmint combo rifle.
243 or 6.5x55 if you want a super light kicking rifle capable of taking deer (the 6.5x55 can be loaded to 260 levels but factory ammo is VERY mild)
Only savage ive messed with was the axis and it felt cheap are there other models sturdier?

Old 05-15-2013, 01:19 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I don't have any hands on experience with the X7s, but I know plenty of people who have. From what I've heard, they are very accurate, well made guns. I've been told that their quality is like that of something that is double their price.

You could also look into getting a used 700. There's plenty of them out there. I have one made in 2006, and it is a great gun. You can usually find them within you budget.

Here's some auctions for you to look at.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339710012

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341152433

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 05-15-2013 at 01:21 AM.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post

I don't have any hands on experience with the X7s, but I know plenty of people who have. From what I've heard, they are very accurate, well made guns. I've been told that their quality is like that of something that is double their price.

You could also look into getting a used 700. There's plenty of them out there. I have one made in 2006, and it is a great gun. You can usually find them within you budget.

Here's some auctions for you to look at.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339710012

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341152433
How can you tell if its one of the good older models or not? These look decent.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 AM   #30

Liked 195 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 96

Quote:
Only savage ive messed with was the axis and it felt cheap are there other models sturdier?
Yeah the Axis is bottom of the barrel (still a decent cheap rifle though), any of the 110 actions are a big step up. While Savages are not normally super pretty guns the 14 and 114 models are really sharp much like a 700 CDL. All of mine are cheap 110 actions with the Accutrigger. I have several rifles in my safe, but my brother and sister in law prefer my cheap Savage 110 30-06 to any of my higher end guns.....go figure. Great trigger, slim feel, best in class recoil pad, and really scary accurate with my handloads.