7mm mag. or 300win mag - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7mm mag. or 300win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I just want the most power I can get at an affordable price that is also good to hunt with once in awhile. Putting impressive holes in steel is more important to me since I target shoot more then I hunt.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #12

Liked 189 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I doubt a 300 Ultra Mag or 308 Warbird would deliver any more impressive holes then a mild 30-30 on steel, if you want larger holes on hard targets get a larger caliber. If what you want is a perfect deer hunting/long range target rifle you could do no better then a 6.5 Creedmore or 260 Rem. They deliver top notch wind resistance and long ranged trajectory even with hunting bullets. The techno bable sounds like this, 123gr SST moving at 3000fps with a .510 BC, in real talk that shoots flatter, farther and with less drift then 180gr 300 Win Mag hunting loads, and neck and neck with the 190gr SMK match loads. 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmore have an advantage on my old favorite, they can be readily had in full power factory form whereas if you want 300 Win Mag ballistic performance out of the Swede you have to handload it, and the two new comers are a standard short action which the 6.5x55 pre-dates by about 60 years. All the 6.5s are light kicking, not just tolerable but actually enjoyable to shoot.
Put all that in perspective and I think you will see that the 300 Win mag would be a silly choice unless you were in big moose country or if your hunting criteria included cross canyon shots on trophy sized elk. 300 Mags also kick like a &!^(# too, acceptable for hunting but not fun at all in my book, it is bad enough to cause new shooters to develop bad shooting habits so I generally advise against them to anyone who has to ask.
Oh and in case you WANT something that kicks like a mule, get an actual mule they are cheaper to feed then a 300 Mag

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-13-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #13

Liked 99 Times on 65 Posts

I agree. If your going to do more shooting a steel targets then hunting, stay away from those big magnum guns. Its not as exciting as it might seem when your out taking those long shots and bruising up your shoulder. Anyone will tell you a 300 magnum is going to kick and kick hard. Your not going to want to shoot a box of bullets when you go out to shoot targets. My 30-06 kicks harder then I want when target shooting especially at long range because I'm so focused on the shot my body gets into a relaxed mode until I pull that trigger and then I'm having to drop my arm cause my shoulder hurts. It could just be me but no way would I want something that kicks that hard for target shooting.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #14

How about a 308??

Old 05-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #15

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

If you are looking for a target gun that you can hunt with, that is tough. You will run into the same issue with either 7mmRem Mag or .300 Win mag, hunters are not target rifles. I have a Savage 110 Sierra lite in 7MM Rem Mag. It is a great cold bore shooter. A second shot will hit within 1/2" high right if I chamber and fire immediately, the third round ends up about 2" high and right if all are fired in rapid succession. So while it is a great hunter, it is not a target rifle. The 6.5's above, although fine cartridges still will act in a similar manor in hunting style rifles. I actually shoot quite a bit of 6.5x55 in Military and commercial rifles, none are target rifles, but with the low pressure of the round it does not adversely effect accuracy as quickly as other high pressure rounds. Before the Biathlon standardized to .22lr, 6.5x55 was king. You just might want to check out some old cartridges and rifles. 6.5x55 and 7.5x55 come to the front. The old rifles are the apex of refinement. I would look for a nice K31 and buy a St. Marie side mount and a decent scope. I sold the mount and scope I had for mine because it is so d@mb accurate w/ iron sights. Both The M96 or M38 and the K31 tend to rule Military shoots.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 05-14-2013, 04:08 AM   #16

Seaknight the 308 is a dandy all around cartridge, I reload those too for my new Model 70 Featherweight. Recoil is acceptable, trajectory is adequate and .30 cals hit plenty hard for hunting. I personally prefer the 6.5mms for all around use since the trajectory and drift are noticeably improved but there is no doubt that a 308 is also a fine hunting/target cartridge. Why do I own a 308 if I consider the 6.5s superior overall, because when hunting in thicker brush I like larger calibers and heavier bullets, they make for larger entry and exit wounds and thicker blood trails, not that I have had to track anything shot with my 6.5x55.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-14-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8185

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1990 View Post
I was leaning toward the 7mm. Was looking at the remington 700 7mm. Seems pretty affordable at walmart around $450. I don't know much about it. Is it closer to a 30cal round or 27? I've heard it shoots flatter then the 30-06 also.
To answer your question, to the best of my knowledge, a 7mm bullet is aproximatly .280 inch.

As to the original post, I myself would go for the 7mm mag out of the 2 calibers that you asked about. It will get the job done, and the .300 win mag can leave a pretty good welt on the shoulder from what others have said ( no trigger time on one as of yet, have a friend with one and he is afraid of it). For what you are looking for, the 7mm will work.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #18
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 962 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 229

The 308 is the modern replacement battle field wise, for the 30-06. I have had both, and the autos, semiautos are easier to build around the 308 it seams. I like my AR10 better than my M1 Grand.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #19

Rob I would advise you against getting a Rem 700 they are not what they used to be, take it from a LONG TIME Remington fan the 700s made after 07 are not as good, I bought one and it was so bad I cannot begin to describe it. Since swearing off Remington I have found Tikka and Savage rifles to be even better then my good old old 700s.
The 7mm Rem Mag is alot more logical then the 300 for those of us who don't live in big bear/moose/elk country, they shoot just as flat just as far and hit with an overabundance of authority out to limits of realistic shooting ranges. I have owned three of them over the years (two of which were Rem 700s) and while the recoil is not 300 Mag bad none of mine were really fun to shoot they were a chore, some people say the 7mm Rem Mag is only equivalent to the 30-06 in terms of recoil I call BS on that, recoil calculators can say what they like but I have plenty of experience with both, they might have the same amount of push but the big 7 is much more snappy. OK now for the really good stuff, the 7mm Rem Mag is a HIGHLY versatile cartridge, as a handloader I can push 140gr deer bombs to 3,400fps making the big 7 shoot just as flat as my 270 WSM, or I can push 160gr bonded hog thumpers to just over 3,000fps which is a remarkable "do anything" load. Push come to shove if I need to shoot through a thick bodied animal I can push 175gr Partitions to just over 2,800 fps.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 889 Times on 429 Posts
Likes Given: 88

In regards to the orginal question, I would go with the 7mm mag. That way you have the bases covered for the needs (then some) you stated.

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered