Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7mm-08 barrel twist question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
the reasoning behind the rifle comes from over many years ago when i first shot a 7mm-08. i couldn't afford one then as they were out of the price range of the average person. many years ago, the 7mm-08 was a factory round, but not many chambered it and most of the ones i saw were custom built rifles, which meant expensive. now forward ahead about 30 years and when marlin brought out the X7 series rifle in 7mm-08, i grabbed up the first one i found. now i have always wanted a custom 7mm-08, so here is my chance to get one without spending a small fortune on it. i already have one rifle that is being built that will be in the $4000 range when finished. i don't need another high dollar target rifle in that price range. the 7mm-08 when finished will be able to fulfill all my expectations that i have for it, very accurate, casual target rifle. plus with the design of the marlin's barrel, i can put this one together myself in my shop without having to resort to a machine shop. my main reason for asking about barrel twist rates, was to get some feedback from those who had one in maybe a rifle that had been rebarreled or a custom rifle in this caliber and what they used. i could ask the barrel makers, but prefer actual use and results from those who have already done it, and what they went with. more than likely from what i have read, and what i have already i will probably go with the 1-9 rate for the barrel.
That rate of twist will serve u well axxe send me a pic when u get it done. Sounds like a good build

Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you should get it in a 1/8 then it will stabilize all weights you never know might want to shoot the heavies talk to the barrel makers they are experienced and do it all the time

Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #13

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb
I think you should get it in a 1/8 then it will stabilize all weights you never know might want to shoot the heavies talk to the barrel makers they are experienced and do it all the time
The 1-9 rate is what most recomend at a 24'' length medium contour barrel. That came right from scott at douglas custom rifles

Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16992 Times on 9837 Posts
Likes Given: 44242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
The 1-9 rate is what most recomend at a 24'' length medium contour barrel. That came right from scott at douglas custom rifles
thanks mulie for the input, i think the 1-9 rate will work the best as the facory barrel rate is 1-9.5 twist. i going to the back burner with this one for a month or two, as my projects are starting to get out of hand! i just picked up an older remington M700 in 270, that was cosmeticly challenged to say the least. crappy finish on the stock, surface rust and a lot of the blueing gone, but i got the stock stripped and there was a really nice piece of aftermarket walnut stock underneath, the action is smooth and the bore is really nice after a good cleaning. i was going to buy a marlin XL7 in 270, but i got the remington for $365 + tax. so i'll buy another marlin now in 243!