7mm-08 barrel twist question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7mm-08 barrel twist question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default 7mm-08 barrel twist question

okay here is my question. i have a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, it has the 22" sporter type barrel in 1-9.5 twist. i want to rebarrel it with a heavier 24", fluted barrel. the options on their barrel twist rates in 7mm are 1-8, 1-9 and 1-10. which one would be the best rate for my rifle? i need an idea on rate of twist based on bullet weight of about 120gr-140gr. any help and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 01:42 AM   #2

Since no one has tried to give an answer, I will take a stab at it. I am not very familiar w/ the 7mm/08, but I have a lot of experience w/ the 7x57. They are very similar cartridges and they use the same bullets. If you stay w/ the shorter bullets like 120 to 140, and slower twist would not hurt, i.e. the 1-10. If you want to use only the heavier/longer bullets, 154 to 175 grain, the faster, 1-8 twist would be a better choice. The 1-9 would be a good compromise and it should stabilize all the weights. I personally would choose the 1-9. Hope this helps, but some others should chime in.
cottontop

Old 12-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
okay here is my question. i have a Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, it has the 22" sporter type barrel in 1-9.5 twist. i want to rebarrel it with a heavier 24", fluted barrel. the options on their barrel twist rates in 7mm are 1-8, 1-9 and 1-10. which one would be the best rate for my rifle? i need an idea on rate of twist based on bullet weight of about 120gr-140gr. any help and suggestions would be appreciated. thanks.
120 to 140 gr out of a 24 ''medium contour barrel 1-9 is the ticket at 26'' I would choose a slower rate of 1-10

Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM   #4

thanks for the suggestions guys. i think the 1-9 will probably work pretty good for the bullet weights that i will use. probably in the 120-140, and probably not over 150 in weight. much appreciated for the input.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #5

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Is your rifle that bad a shooter? Try a simms barrel band and see how much it helps. If useing Douglas, Kreiger or Shilen ar any top flight barrel company you may want to talk to them about what you want for twist and contour about the bullet weight you intend on shooting and use there advise. I shoot a kreiger barreled #8 profile 7mm with 140gr bullets mainly and it will group at 400 yards inside 2" with a 1-9.5 twist but can still group 160 very wel tool. Makes a good hunter or bench fun match rifle. READ HERE Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc. Even go to 6BR firum and read up.

Last edited by hardluk1; 12-30-2011 at 02:46 PM.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
Is your rifle that bad a shooter? Try a simms barrel band and see how much it helps. If useing Douglas, Kreiger or Shilen ar any top flight barrel company you may want to talk to them about what you want for twist and contour about the bullet weight you intend on shooting and use there advise. I shoot a kreiger barreled #8 profile 7mm with 140gr bullets mainly and it will group at 400 yards inside 2" with a 1-9.5 twist but can still group 160 very wel tool. Makes a good hunter or bench fun match rifle. READ HERE Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc. Even go to 6BR firum and read up.
He is building a custom out of a marlin,

Old 12-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
He is building a custom out of a marlin,
hardluk, the rifle isn't a bad shooter at all, actually quite accurate. reason is what mulie said, semi custom rifle. i own three of the marlins now and this 7mm-08 is one of my favorite rifles to shoot and reload for. mulie did his marlin 243 with a wood stock, so that kind of planted the idea for me about mine.

as all my marlins have synthetic stocks, i would like to have one with a laminated stock, mainly because none of my rifles currently have any wood stocks. so hatched a plan when i was looking at barrels for another rifle. going to a heavier, fluted 24" barrel, so it would mean having to modify the stock to accept the larger barrel diameter. so my idea is to rebarrel in a larger barrel in the same caliber, modify a Boyd's stock and glass bed it. it's just an experiment of mine to see if i can make the rifle a little more accurate. and some of it for looks.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 32

MUlie , OK hes building a mild custom. So what/ It pays to get some advise from a barrel maker on twist.

Axxe55 I understand wanting to change. My idea was to just concact the barrel marker to help with final choice on twist even barrel lenght. Seen a few 308 based rifles with 26" barrels to squeeze out a few more FPS. To me the differnce between a "semi custom" and some of these high dollar custom hunting rifles is not far aprt in accuracy, just cost.

Thats what i did with mine . Barrel change but not some bull barrel. Boyd's JR stock bedded and some mild fitting for barrel and a aftermarket trigger. I just let kreiger advise me on twist for what I wanted .

Old 12-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
MUlie , OK hes building a mild custom. So what/ It pays to get some advise from a barrel maker on twist.

Axxe55 I understand wanting to change. My idea was to just concact the barrel marker to help with final choice on twist even barrel lenght. Seen a few 308 based rifles with 26" barrels to squeeze out a few more FPS. To me the differnce between a "semi custom" and some of these high dollar custom hunting rifles is not far aprt in accuracy, just cost.

Thats what i did with mine . Barrel change but not some bull barrel. Boyd's JR stock bedded and some mild fitting for barrel and a aftermarket trigger. I just let kreiger advise me on twist for what I wanted .
So what??? I just answered yer post calm down

Old 12-31-2011, 05:30 PM   #10

the reasoning behind the rifle comes from over many years ago when i first shot a 7mm-08. i couldn't afford one then as they were out of the price range of the average person. many years ago, the 7mm-08 was a factory round, but not many chambered it and most of the ones i saw were custom built rifles, which meant expensive. now forward ahead about 30 years and when marlin brought out the X7 series rifle in 7mm-08, i grabbed up the first one i found. now i have always wanted a custom 7mm-08, so here is my chance to get one without spending a small fortune on it. i already have one rifle that is being built that will be in the $4000 range when finished. i don't need another high dollar target rifle in that price range. the 7mm-08 when finished will be able to fulfill all my expectations that i have for it, very accurate, casual target rifle. plus with the design of the marlin's barrel, i can put this one together myself in my shop without having to resort to a machine shop. my main reason for asking about barrel twist rates, was to get some feedback from those who had one in maybe a rifle that had been rebarreled or a custom rifle in this caliber and what they used. i could ask the barrel makers, but prefer actual use and results from those who have already done it, and what they went with. more than likely from what i have read, and what i have already i will probably go with the 1-9 rate for the barrel.