Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 700 sps tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Simple google search may explain this matter better than i can. I have experienced good effects with hand lapping. But im sure either method will work....

"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -unknown-

Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5182 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 4399

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha11 View Post
or true lapping you have basically two alternatives: hand lapping and firelapping. The first normally uses a lapping slug on the end of a cleaning rod that is cast into the muzzle of the bore by plugging the bore back an inch or two with patches or paper and pouring molten lead into it. Grooves similar to lead bullet lube grooves are cut into the cast slug with a knife or a gouge to hold abrasive compound. The lap is loaded (the grooves filled) with abrasive and run back and forth in the bore by hand. It's s common to use something like 320 grit silicone carbide lapping compound (Clover compound, for example). The slug is usually pure lead so that when it encounters a constriction it is narrowed and does not spring back out after passing through it. In this way all abrading on subsequent strokes is only in the tight spots. When you feel it stop cutting tight spots, you can bump the lap back up with a brass rod and hammer, and go at it some
more. You keep repeating until the bore has no more tight spots and the lap feels smooth down the length of the bore.
And if you want a really nice finish, clean the 320 grit thoroughly from the bore, cast another lap and repeat the process with 600 or 1000 grit compound.

Golda Meier.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #53

What is recommended for breaking in period? I was thinking a bore snake after every round for the first 10 and every 10 after that to 100 any opinions?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlar View Post
What is recommended for breaking in period? I was thinking a bore snake after every round for the first 10 and every 10 after that to 100 any opinions?
Throw the bore snake in the trash can and get a one piece rod and a bore guide.

Clean after every shot for ten rounds. Then clean after every other shot for ten rounds.

And clean thoroughly i.e. Something like Sweet's 7.62to thoroughly remove all copper.

Golda Meier.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #55

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I second tossing the bore snake, I'd get a good carbon fiber one piece cleaning rod, something like this, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/392810/tipton-deluxe-1-piece-cleaning-rod-22-to-26-caliber-26-carbon-fiber-8-x-32-thread, you can get them in different diameters for different size bores.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 01-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus

Throw the bore snake in the trash can and get a one piece rod and a bore guide.

Clean after every shot for ten rounds. Then clean after every other shot for ten rounds.

And clean thoroughly i.e. Something like Sweet's 7.62to thoroughly remove all copper.
So brush and pad cleaning solivent the whole nine yards? After every shot for 10 rounds?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #57

Liked 129 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Get a good rod, you might want to find someone to make you a bore guide. There's usually a range nerd that will make you one for $25 but they fit tight and are worth it. Go to Midway or Sinclair and order some Bore-Tech carbon remover and Cu+2copper remover and brushes. It's the best cleaner I have ever used and it doesn't knock you on your azz and kill brain cells.

Perform the factory reccomended breakin, find ammo it likes best and if it refuses to group well after that, then you can think about fire/hand lapping. Bore snakes serve a purpose out in the field so don't chuck it if you are thinking of hunting with it.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlar View Post
So brush and pad cleaning solivent the whole nine yards? After every shot for 10 rounds?
That seems onerous. But no less than Fred Sinclair himself recommends it. and I will not dispute Fred when it comes to barrels and cleaning.

Golda Meier.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Cleaning: JB & Kroil are a great combo - try easy solutions first.

Savage Law Enforement Series are excellent. Some w breaks & others are threaded to add your own. Even Percision Carbine.

Kimber also makes a law Enforement rifle.

I have Bell & Carlson stock - was made for Sako Mountain Rifle - gunsmith glass bedded it and opened up the barrel channel - I added a much heavier barrel than original intent. I love it. Much stiffer than my Hogue but it cost more as well so it's not a good comparison.

Hogue was $56 for Mini 14.