Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 700 sps tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
IIRC, Savage offers more LH versions than most others do.

it would be nice to see Marlin start offering the X7 series in a LH version as well.
Yes, I checked out their site as I have read good things about them from your posts on this forum and was disappointed to see they don't offer a lefty. I was actually intending to stay away from Varmint models as I'd rather have a slim barrel hunting rifle than a heavy pulp stick bench rifle, right now I have found the Rem cdl, Rem varmint sps, the Ruger in the classic wood stock, the Savage 12FLV which doesnt offer the accustock and is a heavy barrel, the Savage 16/116 FLHSS which is accustock and slim ss barrel. Right now I would be leaning toward the Rem or Ruger, how I don't have any experience with the Savage 16 and don't really want ss

To the OP, sorry about the hijack, kinda gettin off course here.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts

As a Marine Corps Scout Sniper of close to 8 years, I have been issued a remington 700. I can't tell you how much abuse my rifle took and no matter what, it never failed to operate. It goes through water, mud, sand, swamps and many conditions you will never put your rifle through. The people who have issues with remy rifles are also the people who modiy their rifle beyond the specs. Keep it clean and you'll never have a problem.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman
Op either rifle is a good rifle. Also sps IS free floated. Just not to the extent the xcr is. Both have an adjustable trigger and have for years. As to the B&C stock-they are a good stock but shyt when compared to the TRUELY good stocks like Hogue, McMillan, and Styr. I'm a gunsmith and I handle new/old/custom rifles daily and have yet to see a problem w the new Remington's except the fact that the 770 is a true pos. ALL new line of rifles from the old companies like Remington, Winchester, and marlin have had good and bad happen to em but they are all back to awesome standards.......well except them damn 770's that is.
That is true about the trigger. The adjustment is the same as the xcr. However from every spec I read it hasn't Said anything about a floating barrell. And the factory riffle has a hogue stock and that's where the difference is between the xcr and sps. . It is my understanding that I can upgrade my stock when I can afford it and create a floating barrel.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #14

Also what type if scope would be recommended in the 500-600$ range for 500 -700 yards

Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #15

Liked 860 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlar View Post

That is true about the trigger. The adjustment is the same as the xcr. However from every spec I read it hasn't Said anything about a floating barrell. And the factory riffle has a hogue stock and that's where the difference is between the xcr and sps. . It is my understanding that I can upgrade my stock when I can afford it and create a floating barrel.
The SPS is free floated. The the inside edges on the barrel channel is just flared out to the barrel

Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #16

Quote:

The SPS is free floated. The the inside edges on the barrel channel is just flared out to the barrel
Thanx for the info.. Then what makes the xcr almost 800$ more? If they are both free floated? Besides 2 swivel brackets in foregrip

Old 01-02-2013, 01:08 AM   #17

Quote:

Thanx for the info.. Then what makes the xcr almost 800$ more? If they are both free floated? Besides 2 swivel brackets in foregrip
The action is trued, all the parts being smoothed, higher quality stock, better metals used, and more attention to details

Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #18

Quote:

The action is trued, all the parts being smoothed, higher quality stock, better metals used, and more attention to details
I know I've heard this before and is probly a dumb ? but what exactly do you mean by the action is trued?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #19

Quote:

I know I've heard this before and is probly a dumb ? but what exactly do you mean by the action is trued?
Smoothed out and silky smooth w no flaws cuz they have been removed as much as is possible

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #20

Quote:

Smoothed out and silky smooth w no flaws cuz they have been removed as much as is possible
That what I thought thanks....any suggestion for optics in the 500-600$ for 500-700 yards with mill dots?