700 sps tactical
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 700 sps tactical

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 700 sps tactical

I'm really wanting to get a rem 700 sps tac 308 but I keep looking at the xcr in 20. Besides the price obviously the big difference I see Is a floating barrell. I'm a recreational shooter that is getting into long range and can shoot at 1000 yards at the furthest but mainly 750-500 would the xcr and the floating barrell make that much difference? Also does a stock change cause more risk on the sps because of the lack of floating barrell

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6557 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

You'll never regret a 700 SPS.

I don't have an xcr so can't comment on that one.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

IMO I would choose the xcr tactical for many reasons. As you stated it has a free floated barrel which results in greater accuracy. Another point to make is the stock. The xcr has a tactical bell and Carson stock which is better than the sps. I believe it is a fiberglass stock which will help your should over the long run! Also the xcr has an adjustable trigger which is new with Remington and is VERY nice. I'm having a same problem as you with choosing. I very much like the xcr tactical and the Tikka t3 varmint. If you havnt looked at the tikka t3 you might want to take a look!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6557 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 6202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynxx13 View Post
IMO I would choose the xcr tactical for many reasons. As you stated it has a free floated barrel which results in greater accuracy. Another point to make is the stock. The xcr has a tactical bell and Carson stock which is better than the sps. I believe it is a fiberglass stock which will help your should over the long run! Also the xcr has an adjustable trigger which is new with Remington and is VERY nice. I'm having a same problem as you with choosing. I very much like the xcr tactical and the Tikka t3 varmint. If you havnt looked at the tikka t3 you might want to take a look!
Uhhhhh....... where did you get the info that a Bell & Carlson stock is better?????? If it is, that's news to me.

And a free floated barrel may be more accurate on some rifles, but less accurate on others. I've had a couple of free floated barrels that wouldn't shoot worth a damn until I full length pressure bedded them.

This is not meant as a criticism of the xcr, just a general comment.
People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

the Remington M700 has had an adjustable trigger since it's introduction on the market in 1962. they changed the trigger design to the X-Mark adjustable trigger in 2005.
Thank you I did not realize that. I still believe that the xcr is a better choice. I have heard rumors, true or not, that Remington is not what it used to be though.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Op either rifle is a good rifle. Also sps IS free floated. Just not to the extent the xcr is. Both have an adjustable trigger and have for years. As to the B&C stock-they are a good stock but shyt when compared to the TRUELY good stocks like Hogue, McMillan, and Styr. I'm a gunsmith and I handle new/old/custom rifles daily and have yet to see a problem w the new Remington's except the fact that the 770 is a true pos. ALL new line of rifles from the old companies like Remington, Winchester, and marlin have had good and bad happen to em but they are all back to awesome standards.......well except them damn 770's that is.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

and i would assume that you believe everything you hear or read without checking it out for yourself? contrary to popular opinion, everything you read on the internet isn't always factual.

i have heard these rumours about the Remingtons for a few years now. well, so far i found them to be mostly, just that, rumours. i look at many firearms on pretty regular basis in several places and you would think all these defective and ill made firearms that are plagueing the market, that i would come across at least a few of them. hmmmm.......just something for you think about before spreading more of the rumours or feeding into without checking it out for yourself.
Sorry but I wasn't "feeding into rumors without checking it out" and I clearly stated that the were rumors, not factual statements. I have checked into it with several smiths and gun salesmen besides the "Internet". I was just implying to research a little more before purchasing.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #8

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

As others have stated here, I don't buy into the Remington is garbage thing that some people are spreading around on here, I have stuck up for Remington on many threads and will continue to do so until I find a reason not to and I doubt that will happen. I am in the market for a new varmint caliber rifle in the 223 or 22-250 I'm leaning toward the 223 simply because I have a ton of brass for it, however I'm a lefty so my choices are limited but I will likely end up with the Rem CDL or Lefty Varmint SPS.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

People Like This 
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
As others have stated here, I don't buy into the Remington is garbage thing that some people are spreading around on here, I have stuck up for Remington on many threads and will continue to do so until I find a reason not to and I doubt that will happen. I am in the market for a new varmint caliber rifle in the 223 or 22-250 I'm leaning toward the 223 simply because I have a ton of brass for it, however I'm a lefty so my choices are limited but I will likely end up with the Rem CDL or Lefty Varmint SPS.
Savage is also a very good viable lefty option for relatively cheap that is varmint killin juju.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

IIRC, Savage offers more LH versions than most others do.

it would be nice to see Marlin start offering the X7 series in a LH version as well.
They are supposed to soon jonas....but w this new buy out who in the sam hell knows what they will actually make or start.