Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7 mm. Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 7 mm. Mauser

Hi,
New to this thread. I have an old Mauser carbine that I bought probably 40 years ago. I have kept it cleaned and oiled, so it can be fired. I have taken it out to shoot several times in the past, and found that even with a sandbag rest, the gun shoots inconsistantly,and very inaccurately. I've spoken with others over the years, and was told the barrel was " burnt out ". Is this possible?
All the numbers on the gun match,so I'm a little unsure of changing out the barrel. Does the gun have any value other than as a shooter,so that a barrel chenge would not make any difference in it's value?
Is a barrel change something that could be done at home,or do I want to take it to a gunsmith?
Are there any places where the barrel would be available? I haven't seen any on line,so I'm at a loss here.
Would I be better off just hanging it on a wall?
Any advice,comments,etc. would be appreciated. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Before making any changes, what ammunition are you shooting? Surplus ammo can be very inconsistent. Try some commercial manufacture ammo before going the barrel replacement route.

It would also be helpful if you would give us more information on the rifle itself. If you'd post some pictures, that would also be very helpful. See if you can get us a good shot of the bore and crown.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-18-2011, 03:06 PM   #3

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

there could be many many reasons that it don't shoot well. We can not tell you if a barrel change would hurt the value without more info and good pictures. Basically the answer is no to changing the barrel yourself and buying a barrel and having it installed would cost what the gun is maybe worth. If you want a project we can give you many relatively low-cost things to try to get it to shoot better. My first impulse is to say sell or trade it for a commercial made rifle(non-military) or just hang it on the wall.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:11 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Commercial 7 X 57 Mauser ammo is loaded to be compatable with even the old '93 Mausers and will be safe to shoot in the rifle you own. Get some of that first and see how it shoots. Guns like you mention are only $150-$200 guns even in good shape. While rebarreling is possible, the cost of doing so will far exceed the value of the gun. I also have an old 7mm Mauser that I bought 40+ years ago for less than $20.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver
Commercial 7 X 57 Mauser ammo is loaded to be compatable with even the old '93 Mausers and will be safe to shoot in the rifle you own. Get some of that first and see how it shoots. Guns like you mention are only $150-$200 guns even in good shape. While rebarreling is possible, the cost of doing so will far exceed the value of the gun. I also have an old 7mm Mauser that I bought 40+ years ago for less than $20.
I have a place where all they deal with is Mausers. It's called Mitchell's Mausers out of Fountain Valley,California ( Mauser.net ). They should answer all your Mauser and Mauser ammo questions.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

It depends on what you consider innaccurate. That is a service rifle, not a match rifle. I have two Spanish "short rifles" in 7X57. They shoot MOA (Minute Of Azzhole) at 100 yds. They do not shoot 1 1/2" groups. They probably never did.

Is the barrel worn out? Maybe. Clean VERY thoroughly using a copper solvent like Shooter's Choice or Sweet's 7.62. They will help you get the century old gunk out.

Mitchell's is not looked upon very favorably by Mauser collectors. I will leave it at that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The 7x57 is one of the most accurate and deadly rounds I have ever
shot. It is absolutely lethal on hogs. You might try plugging the barrel,
then fill it with Kroil, let soak for 24 hours, then clean normally. Though
underpowered, Remington 140gr core-lokt does a good job.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 07-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #8

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex1310 View Post
The 7x57 is one of the most accurate and deadly rounds I have ever
shot. It is absolutely lethal on hogs. You might try plugging the barrel,
then fill it with Kroil, let soak for 24 hours, then clean normally. Though
underpowered, Remington 140gr core-lokt does a good job.
+1. In the Boer war the Brits were outranged by 7x57 Mausers. Examples were brought to Britian and the U.S. Both had plans to build a clone. The U.S. did copy the '98 action w/ the 1903 and lost in court to patent infringment. Paid a license fee untill the breakout of WWI. The M1 garand was supposed to be chambered in .276 Pederson, untill MacArthur got involved. It would have been a 10 shot semi. The .276 is a clone of the 7x57, as the .30-06 is a clone of 8x57.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 AM   #9

we bought an old spanish mauser a few years ago. it shot horrible. bullets were key holeing even at 50 yds. we lightly cleaned the bore and it looked clean but still wouldn't shoot for crap. we scrubbed the crap out of the barrel and chopped it to 20 inches and recrowned it. still not a tack driver but now maybe 3 inches at 100 yds. no more key holes

Old 07-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #10

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Mil-surplus rifles were never mint to be 1000 yard bench rest rifles that can shoot ½ inch MOA half way across America. The ability of a Mil-surplus rifle is to kill solders and they meet these criteria hands down.

Accuracy of 3 inches at 100 yards is expectable for old Mil-surplus rifles, if you got one that shoots tighter groups then hang on to it. I get around 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards with my MN 91/30 using Iron sights. This is will within the excepted accuracy range that the weapon was made to do.

Also remember that the ammo for most Mil-surplus rifles was mass-produced and quality control was mostly making sure that each box had the right amount in it. If you want a tad bit more accuracy then look at shooting some good factory loads from one of the major manufactures in the U.S. or reload your own

Scoping it may improve the accuracy some but I don’t think you will get sub-MOA’s out of it.