7.7mm Jap anyone into them?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7.7mm Jap anyone into them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 7.7mm Jap anyone into them?

I found a local guy selling one and I know nothing about it other then it's related to a 303 and has similar characteristics. Anything I should look out for?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #2

Liked 751 Times on 525 Posts
Likes Given: 794

Make sure it's all there! The 99 had a bolt dust cover, never found one on any rifle. Aircraft "wings" sights, monopad, and an intact Mum. The 7.7 caliber Japanese rounds are hard ones. There was Rimmed, semi rimmed, and Rimless, as you would guess, they are not interchangable. Power is similar to the .30-06, not the .303. The .303 and 7.7 both use a .311 bullet.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks for the replay but I think I'm going to let it go. He wants $300 for it and for that amount I'd buy something else. It does come with 140 rounds but I still don't need it that bad.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I have worked with one a friend's dad brought back from the war. His was very accurate. Reloading componants are available as is factory ammo. A nice unaltered example is getting harder to come by lately. If original please for history sakes leave it that way. If you have a specific question just ask I MIGHT be able to answer them from experence.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6033 Times on 3163 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Thanks for the replay but I think I'm going to let it go. He wants $300 for it and for that amount I'd buy something else. It does come with 140 rounds but I still don't need it that bad.
thats about the going price for one in good condition with all optional parts including a non-demilled chrysanthimum. as the war progressed the parts got sloppier but it really did not effect the accuracy of the rifles compaired to earlier examples. accuracy is on par with generic issued springfield A3-03. much like most ww2/ww1 surplus arms make sure you have an expert on those particular guns evaluate it before you pay collector prices.

one last thing quite a few of the old arisaka rifles that made it back to the states were exposed to salt water and harsh environments. have a competent smith fully inspect it before firing. a lot of them that are found in gun shows and private hands are wall hangers only.

Last edited by JonM; 11-02-2010 at 11:53 PM.