7.62x39R ballistics info
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7.62x39R ballistics info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 7.62x39R ballistics info

hi there

Got a cheap large load of milsurp 7.62x39r for my bolt action.
What is this calibre decently flat out to?
I'm thinking of zeroing it for about 100metres, most game we see is less than that due to dense scrub.

Will that be a relatively flat trajectory? or is there a magic number somewhere before things start to drop off?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9134 Times on 3945 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Well, this is basically a carbine round- Flat and 7.62 x 39 are not usually used in the same sentence. Ballistically, very similar to 30-30.

If you zero for 4 inches ABOVE the aim point at 100 meters, you will be on target at 200- but at 300, about 15 inches low. Energy also starts dropping faster than a politician's promises.

Myself, would zero about 3" high at 100 meters, and keep my shots to 200 meters, and you can "Hold on hair, never air".

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2844 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Be careful of nomentclature in ammo. I have never heard of 7.62X39R. The R means "Rimmed". There is a 7.62X54R that is tbe Russian Mosin Nagant ammo. There is 7.62X39 (no R) that is the SKS/AK ammo.

A 100 yard/meter zero is perfectly fine for either ammo. The X39 is not well known for accuracy or energy much beyond that. In a bolt action rifle (do you have a CZ?) I would consider it a 150 yard max cartridge for medium game like smaller deer.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

my apologies, i was under the incorrect impression that the r standed for Russian. Rimmed makes much more sense, i'm talking 7.62x39 as in AK47 and SKS. I think i'll go for bang on at 100 actually, whats the bullet rise likely to be short of that, say I zero it for 100 and shoot a rabbit at say 50 or 60 metres, am I going to have to aim notably low to compensate?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Nothing shoots flat, except a light beam. Bullet will cross the line of sight going UP, and then back DOWN again to meet the target at the zero point. Just WHERE it crosses will depend on several variables, most notably how high your sights are above the line of the bore, and how fast that bullet travels. A scoped rifle has a line of sight quite a bit higher than iron sights. Get it zeroed at 100, then without changing any sight or scope settings, fire at 50 yards, 25 yards, and see where YOUR rifle is printing.

Now, just for sake of argument, if your sights are 1/2 inch above the bore, and you are shooting a 123 gr bullet at about 2010 fps, with a bullet having a B/C of .256, and it is zeroed at 100 yards, 70 degree day, 50% relative humidity, and had Cheerios for breakfast, the bullet comes UP thru the line of sight at at 15 yards, at 50 yards is about 1 inch ABOVE the line of sight (aim lower) and drops back to point of aim at 100 yards. Now, I could teach you how to calculate that for a small fee- or just do what I do- and cheat- use a computer.
http://www.handloads.com/calc/

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-29-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #6
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

We don't have Cheerios, 70 degree days or relative humidity.
My mum once bought me some from a specialty shop once when i was a kid and all i can remember is I thought they were ****e.

I am actually quite an experienced shooter so know all the theory and such, but for the past 7 years I've only worked with shotguns and rimfires which, of course, utilise that same theory, but on a much smaller scale. Now extending into centre-fun i've got to be thinking beyond 100-150 metres, which up until now was largely unheard of shooting rabbits and possums in thick thigh high brush and shotgunning or LR-ting them at ranges generally less than 30m.

New territory for me! So I just thought I'd ask if anyone had the basic statistics of the steelcore milsurp rounds i have, norinco produced i think.
ie muzzle velocity (fps of mps) and figures relating to the rifle being zeroed at 100m. Will be XXX" high at 50m and XXX" low past 120m.

Now reading it i realise it's a mean question, but an answer would be VERY useful

Old 03-31-2010, 01:19 AM   #7

im judging by your posts that you are not in the us.

if you were, the norinco steel core has a mild "collector value" here, due mainy to the fact that ammo can no longer be imported here from china. you could probably sell the norinco and turn that money back into more ammo, or, the same amount of ammo and a bit of spending money.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Sol- apologies- sometimes I pull someone's leg, and have if come off at the knee. Was just kidding about the Cheerios- but the rest of the answer I gave you should be pretty close to accurate for a milsurp 7.62 x 39 round. That will be roughly the muzzle velocity, that is roughly the ballistic co-efficent of that round, etc. And the numbers I gave you should be pretty close to accurate. Temperature DOES affect the flight of a bullet- colder air is denser, and will slow a bullet more than warm air, meaning it drops more- but that really becomes noticeable at 500 meters and more. For 100 meters, unless you are shooting in the arctic in winter, or Saudi Arabia in the middle of summer, may not matter enough to notice. Same for humidity- more humid air is denser than dry air.

The link I gave you is to a real ballistic calculator- plug in the variables, and have it crunch the numbers.

So where in the world ARE you?

Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
SoL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

hwee! That's perfect, just got back from a trip inland today during which i had a play with the 7.62. slightly overkill shooting rabbits but it was definitely fun and also quite heartening how accurate centrefire stays at the ranges I have only ever dealt with, it was brilliant. Tried to use the 243 also but it's scope was wanky.

I'm in New Zealand We have an explosive rabbit problem in the central south island.
they just keep exploding and its unsafe! No, there is just a massive amount of them and subsequently the land is absolutely desolate and raped, so we protect vineyards by shooting them en mass.

We use subsonic .22LR so i'm very accustomed to significant holdover and arcy bullet trajectories, it's very friendly to find how easy centrefire is I was worried.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Same for humidity- more humid air is denser than dry air.
This is not correct, it is the opposite.