7.62x39 primer blow out. plz help! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7.62x39 primer blow out. plz help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2111 Times on 1162 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

What turned out to be the problem?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Those primers look very flat, and the fact that so many of them were blown completely out tells me that your probably past safe headspace. I would definitly take it to a gunsmith and have the headspace checked. The surplus military ammo will have harder primers and they are probably swaged in like american military primers. That will help hold them in, but that is still a sign of high chamber pressures and could cause major safety issues. I would never shoot a gun that was blowing primers like that until I had tracked down the reason for it with absolute certainty. That gun could hurt a shooter or bystander, please get it fixed before you shoot it again.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #23

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
What turned out to be the problem?
Pin was a protruding a tad too far.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilder
Those primers look very flat, and the fact that so many of them were blown completely out tells me that your probably past safe headspace. I would definitly take it to a gunsmith and have the headspace checked. The surplus military ammo will have harder primers and they are probably swaged in like american military primers. That will help hold them in, but that is still a sign of high chamber pressures and could cause major safety issues. I would never shoot a gun that was blowing primers like that until I had tracked down the reason for it with absolute certainty. That gun could hurt a shooter or bystander, please get it fixed before you shoot it again.
What do u mean by head space?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:31 AM   #25

Liked 2773 Times on 1803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTX39

What do u mean by head space?
Joke time! Ok, I won't.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1

Joke time! Ok, I won't.
I really don't know what he means. Bolt face maybe?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:

I really don't know what he means. Bolt face maybe?
Ok I'm going to try and be gentle here. If you don't know what headspace is you should not be taking guns apart. Headspace is simply put the given tolerances for room around the cartridge in the chamber. Not enough and the gun can go kaboom at worst. Too much and at worst the same. Firing a gun that is not properly headspaced is extremely dangerous. That said headspacing is generally not an issue with the ak and sks. With the sks the issues generally revolve around the firing pin. You likely have too much protrusion. I suggest you get a spring loaded firing pin to avoid the other typical sks firing pin related issues of slam fires and going full auto due to the firing pin getting stuck in the forward position.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:34 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Ok I'm going to try and be gentle here. If you don't know what headspace is you should not be taking guns apart. Headspace is simply put the given tolerances for room around the cartridge in the chamber. Not enough and the gun can go kaboom at worst. Too much and at worst the same. Firing a gun that is not properly headspaced is extremely dangerous. That said headspacing is generally not an issue with the ak and sks. With the sks the issues generally revolve around the firing pin. You likely have too much protrusion. I suggest you get a spring loaded firing pin to avoid the other typical sks firing pin related issues of slam fires and going full auto due to the firing pin getting stuck in the forward position.
I can strip it completely & have it back together before u make ur morning coffee. Just because I don't know a technical term doesn't mean I don't half azz know what I'm doing. Ijs.... But thanks for the info, I learn something new everyday.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:

I can strip it completely & have it back together before u make ur morning coffee. Just because I don't know a technical term doesn't mean I don't half azz know what I'm doing. Ijs.... But thanks for the info, I learn something new everyday.
Knowing what headspace is is part of the basics. Don't bite off more than you can chew that's how you get hurt or killed. Trying to assess a primer issue like that and not knowing anything about headspace doesn't work. You got lucky this time. I hope if you took a file to your firing pin that you did it correctly and didn't leave any sharp edges. Just because you can strip one of the simplest rifles in existence doesn't mean you know enough to be reshaping a firing pin.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Knowing what headspace is is part of the basics. Don't bite off more than you can chew that's how you get hurt or killed. Trying to assess a primer issue like that and not knowing anything about headspace doesn't work. You got lucky this time. I hope if you took a file to your firing pin that you did it correctly and didn't leave any sharp edges. Just because you can strip one of the simplest rifles in existence doesn't mean you know enough to be reshaping a firing pin.
That's why we ask questions, to learn. But there's always someone that talks out of there azz & all that comes out their mouth is ****, when all they could have done was answer the question to help someone instead of being a smart ass. Btw, its fixed already.