Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   7.62x39: Armor Piercing? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/7-62x39-armor-piercing-619/)

Winchester 05-25-2007 05:05 PM

7.62x39: Armor Piercing?

I just ended up with about 4600 rounds of 7.62x39 ammo in a trade with a good friend of mine. 2200 rounds are in tins and he says they are "armor piercing" rounds which he paid alot of money for during the ban. They are packed in "sardene" tins of 550 in wooden crates. The ammo itself is all copper colored (shell and bullet) and packed on stripper clips. The writing on the box apears to be chinese. I dont realy have a use for "armor piercing" rounds in my AK, so I was wondering what are they worth? are they anything special or should I just shoot them up as regular ammo?

Dgunsmith 05-25-2007 10:23 PM

762X39 Ammo:

That type has a steel core.and like all 762X39 would defeat soft body armor.
It may be corrosive as well. Watch out shooting around rocks as that stuff will cause a shower of sparks and can start a fire.

It is banned from some National Forests in their designated shooting areas.

You can verify the bullet with a magnet...it will stick to steel core 762X39

Splatter 05-26-2007 12:00 AM

Does it have any tip colouring on the bullet, like red or yellow paint?

In the absence ot the tip coding, I think Dgunsmith has it right.

RONSERESURPLUS 05-27-2007 04:25 PM

7.62X39 Armor Piercing ammo?

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

Thier is one easy way to tell if the Chinese ammo in question or any Ammo in Question is (STEEL CORE) AP? Simply slide a small refigerator or any Magnet to the tip, if it attracts, It's that older Chinese Steel core stuff! Gotta watch where ya soot it, as others in the posts have said, many outdoor ranges have banned it, The national park Service is so full of CRap, but yes they Ban it's shooting as well! If you don't like the Steel core stuff, you can sell it off quit easily and have the $ to get the HP or Soft point ya need? I have sold a lot of that off over the years and never had any issue with selling it , anywhere! LOL

RON L

NGIB 10-07-2009 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh277 (Post 171215)
winchester
where did you get the 7.62x39 AP ammo because i would really like to have some?

Have some armored vehicles giving you problems?

opaww 10-07-2009 10:24 PM

AP ammo is illegal in some states and as such I will gladly take it off your hands for proper disposal so just ship it to me no worries...i'll take care of it for you

c3shooter 10-08-2009 11:52 AM

Well, you never know when there is going to be a burglar hiding inside your refrigerator! :D

The Chinese steel cored ammo is NOT Armor Piercing- in the sense that miltary AP ammo is. Oh sure, it will go thru soft body armor- which was designed to stop HANDGUN ammo. So will regular ball ammo.

Steel core is there because it is lighter and cheaper than lead. Not to punch thru the metal armor of an APC. But it shoots well.

robocop10mm 10-08-2009 04:49 PM

True AP in the 7.62 X 39 will have a black laquered tip. There is apretty fair amount of Chinese steel core that is not "true" AP. The AP has a hardened steel core. Magnet attracts to both.

Much Eastern Bloc ammo uses Bi-metal jackets (Cupro-Nickel) that will also attract to a magnet (but not as aggressively). Winchester .308 147 gr FMJBT's are also Bi-metal jacketed , attract to a magnet (faintly) yet are lead cored.

orangello 10-08-2009 09:36 PM

There are only a couple of major groups of people who wear body armor for work in this country; i wouldn't want either of those groups to consider me to be "gunning for them". I wouldn't advertise having any ammo that was "armor piercing", be it military grade or not. Someone might take that the wrong way.
no offense

skullcrusher 10-22-2009 11:49 PM

Why is this thread not shut down? Just curious...:eek: