Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
Attachment 99113

This is how i hunt white tail at 8,800yds. Works like a charm. Tho i cant seem to find the deer when i get to the spot. Confused
ahh pink mist

Old 05-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #82

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I would have to agree with Salvo.... 7.62x39 is a bit marginal

Old 05-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnier03 View Post
I would have to agree with Salvo.... 7.62x39 is a bit marginal
most kills i have made with that round have been inside of 100 yards on trails in very heavily wooded areas,,, more of an ambush kill but i now know it ill go threw a medium size hog at 175 yards so it does have the penetration necessary

Old 05-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #84

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

OK here we go....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Axx I never said I was ok with hunters taking 800yrd shots. Fact is most hunters cant do it and should never shoot past their comfort level whether its 100 yrds or 500yrds. For you people living in a bubble there are hunters that can make 800yrd shots all day long. Way better shooters than most could ever hope to be. Me personally, I have never had to shoot at anything past 300yrds which is a pretty easy shot and probably never would for ethical reasons. Not because I don't think I could make the shot.
What kind of game would you hunt at 800 yards. Hunting bullets are not match bullets. Also if you have a a 100fps velosity change that could equate to a 24" varience at 800 yards. What could cause a varience like that, not weighing every charge, heat, cold. Then take elevation, humidity, spin dript, etc into concideration and it becomes down right irresponsable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
IMO, most any hunter taking an 800 yard shot isn't ethical. at that distance, thereis just too many things that can go wrong, ending with a wounded animal that's got almost a half mile head start. how fast do you think a person can get to the spot where the animal was wounded, and then has to start tracking it? depending on how badly the animal was wounded, there is the huge chance that a person might not even be able to find it.

i'll ask the question again, how many hunters do you think realistically could hunt at 800 yards, and guarantee a humane kill at that distance?
What is the game? If it were a p-dog, I might take a shot. Probably miss by 12 feet, but I would try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
7.62x39 is a bit marginal for my tastes. If being marginal on the energy level didn't bother me, I'd be a handgun hunter as they are much easier to haul around.

Most of the guns that shoot 7.62x39 aren't exactly bug-hole shooters either, and I do not consider it to be ethical to fire at a game animal with an inaccurate gun.

7.62x39 will do the job on White-tails at the moderate ranges at which they are most often encountered. A CZ carbine is a reasonable weapon to try that with, but honestly I'd feel a lot better armed with a regular old 30-30 lever gun or better yet, an accurate rifle shooting at at least .243 power level.
OK, I don't get this at all. The "power" level of a .243 sucks IMHO. The 7.62x39 in a CZ is a great round. I use to shoot my 1953 Soviet SKS with my buddy using a Ruger Mini 14. We would set up a 2' target at 200 yards. He could barely hit paper, I would shoot the 2" supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post
Attachment 99113

This is how i hunt white tail at 8,800yds. Works like a charm. Tho i cant seem to find the deer when i get to the spot. Confused

Where can I get the umbrella??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
most kills i have made with that round have been inside of 100 yards on trails in very heavily wooded areas,,, more of an ambush kill but i now know it ill go threw a medium size hog at 175 yards so it does have the penetration necessary
That was more the projectile. Those HP's are nothing more the a FMJ with the nose cut off. Nothing wrong with the round for 150 yard Whitetail hunting. I used mine for just that. Same 123gr HP projectile.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
That was more the projectile. Those HP's are nothing more the a FMJ with the nose cut off. Nothing wrong with the round for 150 yard Whitetail hunting. I used mine for just that. Same 123gr HP projectile.
i cant find the video now but some one on you tube did a test with wold HP vs SP and the SP worked very well but like you said the HP didnt do anything more than that of a FMJ so i will now be looking in to wolf SP

Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 PM   #86

Liked 2448 Times on 1394 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

I missed the part where it's usual, or necessary to hunt

anything at 600+ yards.

Why is anybody arguing about an intermediate round's

effectiveness, at 200 yards past it's designed range?

I don't know about hunting at 500 yards + with the

macho manly men here.

But at home, where we hunt at 300 yards max, and quite usually

a lot less, and are just guys, who put our pants on 1 leg at a time,

we find the M43 to be an effective round, when fired with

surplus SKSs, let alone well made bolt actions.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #87

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Hell if you all really want a rush you should get a bow. When you can her them trot and breathe its the best feeling. And an arrow will really really put a gnarly spurting hole is any creature.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #88

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Ballistics don't lie, with the exception of the heavy 170 grainers the 7.62x39 can hang right there with the 30-30 and deer cannot read what is on your headstamp. Now the 30-30 can effectivly use a heavier bullet that makes them suitable for larger game that I would not use a 7.62x39 on but I doubt a deer could tell the difference, a good friend of mine used to hunt deer with a 30 carbine which has alot less punch then the AK round, he never lost a deer with it but he did upgrade to a 270 win for the extra range.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #89
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1319 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 606

The 8.58X70mm is proven to drop humans at 2,707 yards, so we should just use that for any range exceeding 500 yards, sound good to everyone else?

Darn, another rifle to buy...

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #90

Liked 685 Times on 346 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Wow, this thread turn a nasty turn didn't it.

OK, back to the x39 and my .02.

I hunt MN Whitetails with my Ruger Mini-30 when I'm Walkin and Stalkin.

I handload my ammo so I know little about factory ballistics or performance.

My favorite load is 110gr Barnes TTSX with a MV of about 2650fps. I am comfortable taking a shot at 150 yards with this load, but that's it, 150 is it for me.

I also have a 6.5 Grendel. I load this with a 100gr Barnes TTSX. The velocities of the Grendel and the x39 are almost identical with a slight advantage to the Grendel. I limit this to about 150 yards as well.

Funny how the Grendel and the 6.8 SPC are touted as long range (ok semi-long range) cartridges and the x39 is is a short range POS when ballistically they are very similar with same weight bullets. I know, I know, BC has a lot to do with it, but not much inside 200 (deer) yards which is what all three of these are, IMO.