Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
well Nathan, it might suprise you at what others have tried, owned, done or have seen with their own eyes.
your right,, im sure it would,, but coming from you its almost amusing to here you say that being as your so quick to doubt

i love to shoot,,, every one has there thing well mine is shooting and firearms,,, its cost me a marriage and even some friends with the whole awb debate but hey,,, its what i live for and the only reason i dont own a 338 lapua, 416 barrett, .50bmg or .408 cheytec is due to the unreal cost of the ammo

so i make due with what i can afford to shoot a lot of

i make very regular hits out to 800 on the high line behind my property and a milk jug isnt that big,,, there was 0 wind and the temp was perfect,, no mirage at all.

would i try it daily no,,, did i feel confident in the shot,, yes

but i hear all the time on every forum about about guys and there .308s making hits at 1000 yards every day and that round like it or not is not meant for that distance either

Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #72
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5177 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 4394

Perhaps we;rte confusing two different things here.

Many years ago, I shot bullseye pistol with a Colt Gold Cup ,45.

Being curious what could be wrung out of the ,45 cartridge, I set up at the 200 yard rifle range.

Using a bench rest, and Remington Match Master premium match ammo, I was able to "walk" the rounds in until I learned exactly where to hold on the target. I could keep a full magazine inside black.

Okay, it's possible. Is it realistic?? well....NO!

My .30-06 hunting rifle will easily hold a 6 inch group at 600 yards ( 1 MOA) from a bench, no wind.

Would I consider shooting at a game animal at that range??NO WAY IN HELL!!!

Golda Meier.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
My .30-06 hunting rifle will easily hold a 6 inch group at 600 yards ( 1 MOA) from a bench, no wind.

Would I consider shooting at a game animal at that range??NO WAY IN HELL!!!
not to stir the pot any more than it already as been but why not,, i know of many cheap rifles that people commonly hunt with that 6" is about what they will do at 200 yards and people hunt that distance often

Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #74
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5177 Times on 2954 Posts
Likes Given: 4394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
not to stir the pot any more than it already as been but why not,, i know of many cheap rifles that people commonly hunt with that 6" is about what they will do at 200 yards and people hunt that distance often
I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, because it isn't meant to be,

But if you have to ask that question, I don't think you would understand the answer.

I just cannot accept the idea that I might have not doped the wind properly, that I might have misread the range finder, that I might lose my concentration and jerk the trigger a bit... or a dozen other things.

I'm not going to be responsible for a living, breathing, feeling animal to run off and suffer a slow agonizing death over several hours, or even days.

Every man must develop his own set of ethics. no one can do it for another. Those are mine.

Golda Meier.
People Like This 
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I hope this doesn't sound sarcastic, because it isn't meant to be,

But if you have to ask that question, I don't think you would understand the answer.

I just cannot accept the idea that I might have not doped the wind properly, that I might have misread the range finder, that I might lose my concentration and jerk the trigger a bit... or a dozen other things.

I'm not going to be responsible for a living, breathing, feeling animal to run off and suffer a slow agonizing death over several hours, or even days.

Every man must develop his own set of ethics. no one can do it for another. Those are mine.
i understand completely

Old 05-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #76

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

I enjoy hunting mall ninjas with my daisy. My best shot is 225 yds with a 17 cal pellet square in the a@s

Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #77

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Axx I never said I was ok with hunters taking 800yrd shots. Fact is most hunters cant do it and should never shoot past their comfort level whether its 100 yrds or 500yrds. For you people living in a bubble there are hunters that can make 800yrd shots all day long. Way better shooters than most could ever hope to be. Me personally, I have never had to shoot at anything past 300yrds which is a pretty easy shot and probably never would for ethical reasons. Not because I don't think I could make the shot.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #78
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19939 Times on 11331 Posts
Likes Given: 50257

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Axx I never said I was ok with hunters taking 800yrd shots. Fact is most hunters cant do it and should never shoot past their comfort level whether its 100 yrds or 500yrds. For you people living in a bubble there are hunters that can make 800yrd shots all day long. Way better shooters than most could ever hope to be. Me personally, I have never had to shoot at anything past 300yrds which is a pretty easy shot and probably never would for ethical reasons. Not because I don't think I could make the shot.
IMO, most any hunter taking an 800 yard shot isn't ethical. at that distance, thereis just too many things that can go wrong, ending with a wounded animal that's got almost a half mile head start. how fast do you think a person can get to the spot where the animal was wounded, and then has to start tracking it? depending on how badly the animal was wounded, there is the huge chance that a person might not even be able to find it.

i'll ask the question again, how many hunters do you think realistically could hunt at 800 yards, and guarantee a humane kill at that distance?

Old 05-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #79

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 13

7.62x39 is a bit marginal for my tastes. If being marginal on the energy level didn't bother me, I'd be a handgun hunter as they are much easier to haul around.

Most of the guns that shoot 7.62x39 aren't exactly bug-hole shooters either, and I do not consider it to be ethical to fire at a game animal with an inaccurate gun.

7.62x39 will do the job on White-tails at the moderate ranges at which they are most often encountered. A CZ carbine is a reasonable weapon to try that with, but honestly I'd feel a lot better armed with a regular old 30-30 lever gun or better yet, an accurate rifle shooting at at least .243 power level.

Kind Regards, Salvo

Old 05-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #80

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

forumrunner_20130503_002717.jpg

This is how i hunt white tail at 8,800yds. Works like a charm. Tho i cant seem to find the deer when i get to the spot. Confused

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

texaswoodworker Likes This