Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
but are you making 800 yard shots on deer with those reloads?
Nope. They shoot pretty good at 400yrds in my 243 and 30-06. I don't see why they wouldn't make it out to 800yrds if one was so inclined.

Sure they aren't Matchking or Gameking bullets but they're not junk either.

I reload mainly sierra bullets. Sometimes Hornady. I use Remington factory ammo in my 243 and 30-06 when I don't use my handloads. I don't reload Cor-Lokt although I have used Remington 55gr bullets in my 223 loads with good results.

Go to midwayusa and read the reviews on cor-lokt, bronze point, accutip, and cor-lokt ultra bonded bullets. You might be surprised.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #62

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

its not 800 but 600 to give the doubter of the .270win a piece of mind at distance,,, pretty cool really

5" group at 600

my ak does better than that at 200 but i have owned some, where that was the best they could do at 100 and people still hunt with them with great effect

Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #63
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Nope. They shoot pretty good at 400yrds in my 243 and 30-06. I don't see why they wouldn't make it out to 800yrds if one was so inclined.

Sure they aren't Matchking or Gameking bullets but they're not junk either.

I reload mainly sierra bullets. Sometimes Hornady. I use Remington factory ammo in my 243 and 30-06 when I don't use my handloads. I don't reload Cor-Lokt although I have used Remington 55gr bullets in my 223 loads with good results.

Go to midwayusa and read the reviews on cor-lokt, bronze point, accutip, and cor-lokt ultra bonded bullets. You might be surprised.
so it's your opinion it would be perfectly acceptable to hunt game at 800 yards with them?

Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #64

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
so it's your opinion it would be perfectly acceptable to hunt game at 800 yards with them?
With certain Remington bullets? Yes. If you as a hunter are capable of making clean kill shots at 800yrds.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #65

so far its 3:21am, its a lil early but i went out to walk the property to see if they came in yet,,, no hogs but made a beautiful shot right at 77 yards and got another pest,,, a fox

another clean kill that dropped right in its tracks

Old 05-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
With certain Remington bullets? Yes. If you as a hunter are capable of making clean kill shots at 800yrds.
and how many hunters do you know that can humanely kill at 800 yards consistently?

i'm sorry, but that's just moving into an area that i feel is unethical and unsportsmanlike. way too much of a chance to just wound an animal and if so, the animal already has an 800 yard head start.

nothing you can say can convince me that taking 800 yard shots on an animal is ethical.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5924 Times on 3350 Posts
Likes Given: 5474

Quote:
and how many hunters do you know that can humanely kill at 800 yards consistently?

i'm sorry, but that's just moving into an area that i feel is unethical and unsportsmanlike. way too much of a chance to just wound an animal and if so, the animal already has an 800 yard head start.

nothing you can say can convince me that taking 800 yard shots on an animal is ethical.
Teacher, teacher, I can answer that question!!! NONE!

Winston Churchill
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
never said that every distance shot was clean but it is possible,,, me and a friend towards the end of deer season were seeing who could do better.. me and my .270 and him with is lil .308

we were exploding milk jugs at that distance on a pipeline behind my house,,, the next day we were walking out to do some more shooting and there stood a good size doe right were we both were dialed in at. had i not had my scoped dialed in at that precise distance i would have taken the shot, but since it was the last day of deer season and he had one more tag,, i took the shot

now some one with a quality range finder and knowing there elevation adjustments could do that daily (with a true HIGH powered) rifle.. but that kind of distance isnt necessary with how most hunt deer,, me i never use a deer stand or blind, and i have never owned a deer feeder,,, using a feeder and a blind you could get a deer with a sling shot if you wanted to,,, but where is the sport in that,, to me its like going to one of them farms where you pay to hunt deer that are so damn timid you can pet them
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Teacher, teacher, I can answer that question!!! NONE!
i am calling this the way i see it. if he did make the shot and killed the deer at 800 yards, then it was a lucky shot that he killed it instead of wounding it. nothing more. IMO, taking a shot with more chances of wounding rather than humanely killing it is unethical.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #69

Quote:

i agree that its not ethical,, and as i did say it was in perfect weather conditions and the scope was already set for that distance from the day before,, it was a chance opportunity that went very well and by far the longest shot i have taken on game other than coyote.

trying to say its impossible is just silly as many have done it before me and many will to come

ethical, no, possible , very

if you personally have the time and range to make some 800-1000 yard shots,,, give a try some time with random cal.s,,, its almost eerie how well some round perform beyond what people give them credit for or what the box says,, take the 1/4mile .22lr shots,, you may think i personally am incapable of doing it but try it for your self,, its really not that hard from a bipod laying prone in a field

http://youtu.be/EyjQESIp9wk
and .270win is extremely more powerful than .22lr,, but here is something that maybe interesting to you on real penetration vs internet jargon

http://youtu.be/OUM1r_444CY
and with that last video the 7.62x39 should have enough energy out as far as 500 yards ez,, though accuracy may be an issue unless fired from an AR or custom bolt action.

.270win wips the **** out of 7.62x39 at every distance. but what do i know, i just own the land and the rifles and shoot them all the time

one more thing,, these video's are what first made me try the long distance with the .22lr and the .270win,,, if i think its fake or impossible i see it as a challenge to debunk it or prove it,,, to bad people are quick to argue about things they have never done, owned, tried, or even seen with there own eyes.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #70

well Nathan, it might suprise you at what others have tried, owned, done or have seen with their own eyes.