Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

like i said your more than welcome to come see me do it with your own eyes,,, i just dont have a video cam and my cell phone wont show anything at that distance

my .270win and my .22lr

Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 PM   #52

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
i know its not the ammo i was using,, they didnt have the ammo i was using listed on http://www.ballistics101.com/ the point i was trying to make is i dont see where the difference is significant enough for added recoil and ammo cost for a very minuscule difference
The reason it is not listed, is is not quality ammo. There is not listing on many ballistics calculators for Remington other then .224 because it is crap. It is fine for hunting under the median of the round, no more.
Quote:
i used hollow point and they didnt perform like i had hoped so i will be trying this next
Russian HP are nothing more the a FMJ w/ the nose cut off. The jacket is so thick they don't expand.

Quote:
like i said your more than welcome to come see me do it with your own eyes,,, i just dont have a video cam and my cell phone wont show anything at that distance

my .270win and my .22lr
O.K., You claimed the 7mm Rem mag has significant recoil compared to the .270. When talking factory ammo, no way. I have fired both in an identical rifle to mine in .270. The burn rate of the powder has a great deal to do w/ recoil. My buddy has a Savage 110 Sierra light in .270. Mine is the same series, identical in every way that they can be. My 7mm Rem mag w/ 150gr has less felt recoil then his .270 w/ 150gr factory ammo. Handloading w/ a quality slower powder even makes it more timid. That looks to be a SS 10x you have for glass. You have a typical wanna sniper rig. This is a hunting rifle w/ a 2-10x38mm basic scope on my 7. Then this was my 700 yard shooter after I replaced the scope w/ something more practical.

Now the second rifle was for a specific purpose. Taking a cold bore shot w/ crap ammo at 800 yards I just don't buy.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #53

the scope has a 30mm tube and is 6-24X50 know it all lol,, and if you think that any factory stock can give the same accuracy as a aluminum bedded stock you dont know all to much do you.

i never said the Remington ammo was the end all,, just that my rifle shoots really well with them,, where my dads stock .270 isnt worth a **** with them so he use's Winchester

my offer still stands,, come one out here and i will prove my claims in person,, your argue like i just stole your thunder or something and its honestly getting pretty pathetic,, if you don't believe my claims thats fine,, but from this point on keep your OPINION to you self cause you sir,, are a fool

you even made the statement that i was full of it about the .22lr at 440 yards but i even found video of some one else doing the same damn thing on the same size target and yet you still persist,,,

as for the recoil statement you made,,, take a look here but pay attention to rifle weight as well
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

your clearly just trolling

Last edited by Nathantc; 05-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20055 Times on 11407 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
the scope has a 30mm tube and is 6-24X50 know it all lol,, and if you think that any factory stock can give the same accuracy as a aluminum bedded stock you dont know all to much do you.

i never said the Remington ammo was the end all,, just that my rifle shoots really well with them,, where my dads stock .270 isnt worth a **** with them so he use's Winchester

my offer still stands,, come one out here and i will prove my claims in person,, your argue like i just stole your thunder or something and its honestly getting pretty pathetic,, if you don't believe my claims thats fine,, but from this point on keep your OPINION to you self cause you sir,, are fool

you even made the statement that i was full of it about the .22lr at 440 yards but i even found video of some one else doing the same damn thing on the same size target and yet you still persist,,,

as for the recoil statement you made,,, take a look here but pay attention to rifle weight as well

Nathan, your remarks are now starting to get pathetic. IMO, it might be best to back off while you can still retain some dignity. at this point your remarks are bordering on being trollish.

i have read many of JP's posts for some time now and being a shooter of many years, i tend to agree with more times than not.

and an 800 yard shot on a deer with a 270 with it going in one end and exiting the other! i'm sorry but i even have a hard time believing that one.

and can someone shoot a 22lr at 400 plus yards accurately? yes, it appears so, but that doesn't mean that you can. i have shot 22's for many, many years now, and i know for a fact that i can't make a shot that far. and i shoot pretty decent at times.

when you make the claims you do, you had better accept the fact that there will be sceptics and some are going to call you on those claims. sometimes it's best to keep such things to yourself.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #55

I have the land and the free time to shoot every day,, and i do so,,, i dont need a gun range to get trigger time and i do have the room to make these shots for the hell of it and yes "I" am very capable of making these shots repeatedly

"skeptics" or not

im going to have to one day invest in a quality video camera with a good zoom
there is no better way to put some ones foot in there mouth than to just show them

like you most have a very hard time believing some one is capable of doing things that they themselves are not so capable of

Last edited by Nathantc; 05-02-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 AM   #56

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Quote:

my offer still stands,, come one out here and i will prove my claims in person,, your argue like i just stole your thunder or something and its honestly getting pretty pathetic,, if you don't believe my claims thats fine,, but from this point on keep your OPINION to you self cause you sir,, are a fool

The rifles were identical!!

[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]See you have an issue with anyone that calls you out. You post video of something that is similar, but nothing that any hunter or anyone that knows ballistics would believe, that is what you claim.[/COLOR]

OK, a whitetail is how long from chest to rear leg? 4-6'. You are telling me a bullet w/ 686fpe at the most and w/ extreme drop and windage issues passed through 4 feet of tissue. It must have encountered bone, either the collar bone or breast bone. It is the worst possible shot even under perfect conditions and you had a pass through. I know many guys that swear by 150gr Cor-lokt .270's, but their average shot is less then 100 yards and a side or quartering. The bullets that they have recovered are so badly deformed even at the optimum they are Spent. Not designed for 800 yards. Either you were the luckiest hunter ever, or as I stated before. I don't care if you like what I say. We've had/have another that stated the .270 was the end all, but at the same time was looking to sell it because it was to loud. Sounds like more loud. When you post about some BS shot it makes some readers think that buying that round, rifle they can become the ultimate shooter, think about it. No pic, it never happened. You can dislike me, but I've been around the block a few times. You can't BS the original. Your not next Carlos or Chuck. If my Dad was alive he'd tell you. I grew up shooting. I agree that the .22lr is capible of more then most give it credit for, but that is not the norm. Paper and game are very different, not even close. Claim whatever you want, just don't suck some newbe in w/ a line of Sh!t. BTW, loose the camo, makes you look like a mall ninja.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-02-2013 at 01:25 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #57

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I don't care about this pissing contest. My issue is with jpatterson badmouthing core-lokt ammo. Ive been reloading ammo for quite some time and on a couple of my long guns I use Cor-lokt when Im not using my handloads because for the price its accurate and reliable ammo. Ive shot more than one sub-moa group with cor-lokt and killed plenty of deer with it as well. For $20 a box it is quality ammo plus you get 20pcs of some of the best brass in the business.

Yes, 7.62x39 is acceptable out to about 200yrds or so depending on the shooter's skill. I used to hunt with my SKS back in the day.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 AM   #58
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20055 Times on 11407 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
I don't care about this pissing contest. My issue is with jpatterson badmouthing core-lokt ammo. Ive been reloading ammo for quite some time and on a couple of my long guns I use Cor-lokt when Im not using my handloads because for the price its accurate and reliable ammo. Ive shot more than one sub-moa group with cor-lokt and killed plenty of deer with it as well. For $20 a box it is quality ammo plus you get 20pcs of some of the best brass in the business.

Yes, 7.62x39 is acceptable out to about 200yrds or so depending on the shooter's skill. I used to hunt with my SKS back in the day.
but are you making 800 yard shots on deer with those reloads?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #59

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

**** people the OP is about a 7.62 by 39. Everyone take a chill pill if he's lying good for him he sucks. Ifs he's not good for him he's a badass shot. That being said... I can easily hit a killzone with my ak with irons at 100 yards. The cartridge isn't really designed for much more than 250 - 300 yards. If you can't take a deer from that range you should quit hunting. I've takin plenty with a bow from 30 or less. That's when it's really exciting.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
The rifles were identical!!

[COLOR="rgb(0, 255, 255)"]See you have an issue with anyone that calls you out. You post video of something that is similar, but nothing that any hunter or anyone that knows ballistics would believe, that is what you claim.[/COLOR]

OK, a whitetail is how long from chest to rear leg? 4-6'. You are telling me a bullet w/ 686fpe at the most and w/ extreme drop and windage issues passed through 4 feet of tissue. It must have encountered bone, either the collar bone or breast bone. It is the worst possible shot even under perfect conditions and you had a pass through. I know many guys that swear by 150gr Cor-lokt .270's, but their average shot is less then 100 yards and a side or quartering. The bullets that they have recovered are so badly deformed even at the optimum they are Spent. Not designed for 800 yards. Either you were the luckiest hunter ever, or as I stated before. I don't care if you like what I say. We've had/have another that stated the .270 was the end all, but at the same time was looking to sell it because it was to loud. Sounds like more loud. When you post about some BS shot it makes some readers think that buying that round, rifle they can become the ultimate shooter, think about it. No pic, it never happened. You can dislike me, but I've been around the block a few times. You can't BS the original. Your not next Carlos or Chuck. If my Dad was alive he'd tell you. I grew up shooting. I agree that the .22lr is capible of more then most give it credit for, but that is not the norm. Paper and game are very different, not even close. Claim whatever you want, just don't suck some newbe in w/ a line of Sh!t. BTW, loose the camo, makes you look like a mall ninja.
Quote:
BS. As far as your .22lr claim, 440 yards is close to 289" of drop, 24 FEET! Be serious.
such a pathetic response,,, i have said over and over and i will say it again i am willing to prove my claims as this is nothing new to me at all,, as for the camo that was my choice of attire while headed out on a hunt. if you dont like it,, dont buy it or do it,, i could care less but the fact is your slander me based on your opinion of what is possible with a clear lack of knowledge

Quote:
BS. As far as your .22lr claim, 440 yards is close to 289" of drop, 24 FEET! Be serious.
just like here where you insinuate what i can and have done to be false

you have done nothing but post opinion not fact
you do not know me and never have see me shoot
you have never shot this rifle/ammo combo so you have no idea how it shoots
you are mall/range ninja

i am done with this argument as i am able to prove my statements and you just wish to impress people with your "opinion" and are unwilling to face the facts and whether you or any one else here trust my word that up to the reader but i was there i pulled the trigger and i sure as hell know what happened, you were not so all you can do is speculate until you come see for your self or i one day waist money on a video cam with zoom to "make a point" on this site

by the way 686fps is damn close to that of a .357mag at the muzzle and if you have one, next deer you get or hog or what ever string it up and shoot it point blank and try and tell me that it doesn't exit

if you are correct and my 150g bullet at 800 yards is moving at 686fps then that means that the .270 at 800 yards hits like a .357 does at the muzzle

that is inaccurate info though,, the .270 at 800 yards is still moving at 1258fps according to Remington shoot

Last edited by Nathantc; 05-02-2013 at 02:11 AM.