Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
I was more or less saying that shot placement and YOUR maximum effective range matter more than the caliber. Can you hit vitals? How far out can you accurately place your shot to hit vitals? I've seen people shoot a .308 at 750 yards at a steel plate. But they would be 1 out of 5 in a deer kill zone at that distance.
Not true. If you're using an F class target rifle to shoot deer, what happens if your 25-50 yards off in you estimation of the distance. The vitals of a whitetail are 9", that is it. You are also using hunting bullets, not match bullets. I do attempt to find 165gr .308 hunting bullets that give me a similar POI as a 168gr match bullet. Often the recipes are identical. But, that is allot of lead down range. I have found Prvi 165gr cup and core do very well. You also have forgotten that the bullet has to have enough retained energy to continue moving and take the game ethically. 800fpe for Whitetail, 1500fpe for Elk, 1200 for Moose. I still keep my hunting to 300 yards max. Now I do have 1 rifle that I will stretch that to 400 yards, A 7mm Rem Mag. I shot my 1st Elk and 1st Muley w/ a 12ga bolt gun at 35 yards for both. That was friggin' awesome. When your game is so close you hear them breathe and smell them, that is hunting. Not everyone uses a bullet w/ a high BC and SD.

The above post that claims an 800 yard kill w/ a Cor-lokt is the perfect example. I used data from a better constructed bullet as Remington does not sell them as components. A 150gr cor-lokt is a cheap short range bullet, especially the 150gr. It is the cheapest american ammo on the market.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
i love people who use an online ballistics computer and think they know every thing,,,, 20MOA scope base and yes my scope can be adjusted to get me on target with hold over using the retical i have,,, also most days here are honestly no wind at all like today

the shots i take are as real as the firearms i own,, your more than welcome to come see just how far i score hits and guess GASP i didnt need a computer to tell me how to do it

i can also hit a 24" gong at 440 yards (1/4 mile) with every shot from my Stevens 416 .22lr thats 73 years old and i never clean the bore cause it shoots like **** when i do,, and yes this .22lr shoots one hole groups at 100 yards and thats suppose to be impossible with .22lr from a true 26" barrel but your welcome to come see that with your own eyes too,,, had a couple of guys from other forums come out for the free range time and to see that yes,,, people who shoot every day like i do get damn good at it,,, far better than what a computer or some instructor will tell ya
You shot the cheapest crap ammo you can buy and claim this awesome shot and pass through the body. BS. As far as your .22lr claim, 440 yards is close to 289" of drop, 24 FEET! Be serious.

BTW, w/ your 20MOA base, you would not need a hold over or much adjustment, 4MOA is 16 clicks. Now I know BS and you are full of it. There is no way without a ballistics calculator or being very proficient at math you could ever figure it out. Since the variance w/ cheap ammo is so extreme, no way.
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #33

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

ok look at similar factory ammo in .270win and 7mm mag

270 Winchester Cor-Bon T_DPX 130g 2775ft/lbs 3100fps
7mm Remington Cor-Bon T_DPX 140g 2988ft/lbs 3100fps

but im sure you knew that,
also ammo for that 7mm mag is almost 2x that of the .270 and if factory loads doesnt do enough to justify the cost

though im sure there is some added benefit to the reloader

Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You shot the cheapest crap ammo you can buy and claim this awesome shot and pass through the body. BS. As far as your .22lr claim, 440 yards is close to 289" of drop, 24 FEET! Be serious.

BTW, w/ your 20MOA base, you would not need a hold over or much adjustment, 4MOA is 16 clicks. Now I know BS and you are full of it. There is no way without a ballistics calculator or being very proficient at math you could ever figure it out. Since the variance w/ cheap ammo is so extreme, no way.
its ez,, hold dead on,, fire one round,,, see where it hits, adjust cross hair to bullet impact and repeat till on target at said distance,,, thats how we got dialed in on the jugs at 800 the day before the deer,,, i know thats not science but it works,,, also i varmint hunt with my cheap ammo,,, my rifle likes it and shoot extremely true with it,, so i have a pocket size note book with my scope adjustments starting from 200 yard (zero) in 50 yard increments out to 500 for my normal shooting,, the 800 yard shot is the longest game shot i ever have taken,,, i have called my shots on jugs out as far as 1000 and yes with my cheap ammo that just falls out the sky cause money wasn't carrying it lol

oh and yes i am using 20 moa bases but i guess these are fake since im full of it
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-remington-700-20moa-two-piece-bases.html?gclid=COjfx-O787YCFQTd4Aod1HoAkw&ef_id=UR2stwAAAWVSBDvV:201304 30224355:s

im not impressed by internet arguments,, again i say your welcome to come see your your self,,, i love proving my self and do it often

Old 04-30-2013, 11:51 PM   #35

Quote:
ok look at similar factory ammo in .270win and 7mm mag

270 Winchester Cor-Bon T_DPX 130g 2775ft/lbs 3100fps
7mm Remington Cor-Bon T_DPX 140g 2988ft/lbs 3100fps

but im sure you knew that,
also ammo for that 7mm mag is almost 2x that of the .270 and if factory loads doesnt do enough to justify the cost

though im sure there is some added benefit to the reloader

There is benefit. IMR4831 w/ a 140gr barnes has a MV of 3149mv w/ max load, with a practical load 3050. Since w/ are talking a few thousandths of an inch, use a 140gr .270. Again, you used a computer to try to prove a point, which is what you said I did. The advantage of the 7mm comes down range. The .270 Cor-bon is not the cartridge you bragged about.

Quote:
its ez,, hold dead on,, fire one round,,, see where it hits, adjust cross hair to bullet impact and repeat till on target at said distance,,, thats how we got dialed in on the jugs at 800 the day before the deer,,, i know thats not science but it works,,, also i varmint hunt with my cheap ammo,,, my rifle likes it and shoot extremely true with it,, so i have a pocket size note book with my scope adjustments starting from 200 yard (zero) in 50 yard increments out to 500 for my normal shooting,, the 800 yard shot is the longest game shot i ever have taken,,, i have called my shots on jugs out as far as 1000 and yes with my cheap ammo that just falls out the sky cause money wasn't carrying it lol

oh and yes i am using 20 moa bases but i guess these are fake since im full of it
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-remington-700-20moa-two-piece-bases.html?gclid=COjfx-O787YCFQTd4Aod1HoAkw&ef_id=UR2stwAAAWVSBDvV:201304 30224355:s

im not impressed by internet arguments,, again i say your welcome to come see your your self,,, i love proving my self and do it often
Bud, I know 20moa bases exist, I even told you the MOA adjustment needed, no hold over needed. You are full of something besides yourself. You claimed that w/ a 20moa base your scope had enough adjustment and the "reticule" was designed for the hold over needed. Your just wrong, period. Post a pic of this AWESOME .270 hunter that can make 800 yard kills. I'm a poor soul, not some rich wanna be. Your .270 w/ 140gr ammo will max out below 2900fps, below the 3050fps I load to for 7mmRem Mag. Your looking at 150fps difference, and I would never consider an 800 yard shot on game. Even though the bullets I use have a better BC and SD. Your factory ammo comes no where close. The .270 data is from reloading manuals so your cor-lokt go a bump up.
People Like This 
Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh

Not true. If you're using an F class target rifle to shoot deer, what happens if your 25-50 yards off in you estimation of the distance. The vitals of a whitetail are 9", that is it. You are also using hunting bullets, not match bullets. I do attempt to find 165gr .308 hunting bullets that give me a similar POI as a 168gr match bullet. Often the recipes are identical. But, that is allot of lead down range. I have found Prvi 165gr cup and core do very well. You also have forgotten that the bullet has to have enough retained energy to continue moving and take the game ethically. 800fpe for Whitetail, 1500fpe for Elk, 1200 for Moose. I still keep my hunting to 300 yards max. Now I do have 1 rifle that I will stretch that to 400 yards, A 7mm Rem Mag. I shot my 1st Elk and 1st Muley w/ a 12ga bolt gun at 35 yards for both. That was friggin' awesome. When your game is so close you hear them breathe and smell them, that is hunting. Not everyone uses a bullet w/ a high BC and SD.

The above post that claims an 800 yard kill w/ a Cor-lokt is the perfect example. I used data from a better constructed bullet as Remington does not sell them as components. A 150gr cor-lokt is a cheap short range bullet, especially the 150gr. It is the cheapest american ammo on the market.
You are actually making my point. If you can hit the whitetail deer in the 9" kill zone (vitals) it doesn't matter if its .308 or .223. That deer is dead. Sure the .308 will take it down quicker. But the .223 to the heart or lungs will do the job. My point to the OP is the caliber doesn't matter if you are not accurate enough to hit the kill zone on (enter animal).

Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #37

Liked 815 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Just my personal choice, but NO WAY would i consider using a .30-30 or a 7.62X39 past 100 yards.

Both are capable rounds when used within their limitations.

My son killed his first elk with a .30-30. But the range was 30 yards.
He fired it in the air and scared the poor thing to death!

We knew the x39 was basically a .30-30. Good enough closer deer and nice hog round. I hate those things.

40 or 50! How did that 175 yards hog passed-thru exit wound look. Not a great HP it seems -- probably too heavy a jacket to expand at that range/velocity.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-01-2013 at 01:09 AM.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
He fired it in the air and scared the poor thing to death!

We knew the x39 was basically a .30-30. Good enough closer deer and nice hog round. I hate those things.

40 or 50! How did that 175 yards hog passed-thru exit wound look. Not a great HP it seems -- probably too heavy a jacket to expand at that range/velocity.
i agree that it didnt expand like it should have,, the exit wound was about the size of a quarter or maybe a lil more,,, nothing to rite home about but still more than enough penetration

Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
There is benefit. IMR4831 w/ a 140gr barnes has a MV of 3149mv w/ max load, with a practical load 3050. Since w/ are talking a few thousandths of an inch, use a 140gr .270. Again, you used a computer to try to prove a point, which is what you said I did. The advantage of the 7mm comes down range. The .270 Cor-bon is not the cartridge you bragged about.

Bud, I know 20moa bases exist, I even told you the MOA adjustment needed, no hold over needed. You are full of something besides yourself. You claimed that w/ a 20moa base your scope had enough adjustment and the "reticule" was designed for the hold over needed. Your just wrong, period. Post a pic of this AWESOME .270 hunter that can make 800 yard kills. I'm a poor soul, not some rich wanna be. Your .270 w/ 140gr ammo will max out below 2900fps, below the 3050fps I load to for 7mmRem Mag. Your looking at 150fps difference, and I would never consider an 800 yard shot on game. Even though the bullets I use have a better BC and SD. Your factory ammo comes no where close. The .270 data is from reloading manuals so your cor-lokt go a bump up.
i know its not the ammo i was using,, they didnt have the ammo i was using listed on http://www.ballistics101.com/ the point i was trying to make is i dont see where the difference is significant enough for added recoil and ammo cost for a very minuscule difference

Old 05-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #40
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop
It should be an entirely capable round for deer hunting. I suggest though that you use a soft point bullet when hunting instead of a FMJ.
cottontop
VERY good advice! Getting the round to dump most of its energy 8-14" inside the target is necessary for a quick, humane kill. Soft point will normally do this and FMJ is more likely to over-penetrate and not release energy where it's supposed to.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)