Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5752 Times on 3253 Posts
Likes Given: 5186

And for every story of a clean kill at 800 yards, I can relate a hundred of an animal wounded and lost

I learned how to hunt at an early age. I never have a need to shoot more than 300 yards. And most of the time, less than 200.

And much of that is on the open prairies of Wyoming.

Winston Churchill
jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #22

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
And for every story of a clean kill at 800 yards, I can relate a hundred of an animal wounded and lost

I learned how to hunt at an early age. I never have a need to shoot more than 300 yards. And most of the time, less than 200.

And much of that is on the open prairies of Wyoming.
never said that every distance shot was clean but it is possible,,, me and a friend towards the end of deer season were seeing who could do better.. me and my .270 and him with is lil .308

we were exploding milk jugs at that distance on a pipeline behind my house,,, the next day we were walking out to do some more shooting and there stood a good size doe right were we both were dialed in at. had i not had my scoped dialed in at that precise distance i would have taken the shot, but since it was the last day of deer season and he had one more tag,, i took the shot

now some one with a quality range finder and knowing there elevation adjustments could do that daily (with a true HIGH powered) rifle.. but that kind of distance isnt necessary with how most hunt deer,, me i never use a deer stand or blind, and i have never owned a deer feeder,,, using a feeder and a blind you could get a deer with a sling shot if you wanted to,,, but where is the sport in that,, to me its like going to one of them farms where you pay to hunt deer that are so damn timid you can pet them

Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #23

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My Grandpa hunted elk his entire life with a model 94, 30-30. He moved to north Idaho from Arkansas in 1941 and stopped hunting about 1975 when he was to old.He shot countless elk and deer with it and many black bears.
The 308 is a common caliber in short barrel carbines given to 12 year olds and wives to hunt elk ,deer and bear with.
Based on the ballistics posted in this thread I would not feel under gunned with this caliber loaded with 150 grain expanding bullets on elk out to 200 yards.
It is not a caliber I would choose for elk but the ballistics put it between a 30-30 and 308 and I know what both of those calibers will do.
If 170 grain expanding bullets were available it would be even more efficient.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post

but that kind of distance isnt necessary with how most hunt deer,, me i never use a deer stand or blind, and i have never owned a deer feeder,,, using a feeder and a blind you could get a deer with a sling shot if you wanted to,,, but where is the sport in that,, to me its like going to one of them farms where you pay to hunt deer that are so damn timid you can pet them

That kind of distance is not necessary fo0r a hunter that has learned stalk his game.

I've never used a stand or blind. Feeders are against the law here in Wyoming. "Game farms" are also illegal.

Very seldom have I ever had a problem getting within 300 yards of an animal.

Paying attention to the wind, using natural cover and patience will get you within 300 yards or less every time.

Two of the men that I hunt with are competitors, and hold NRA "Master" ratings in high power rifle. Neither of them will shoot past 300 yards at a living animal.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

[QUOTE=onenut58;1232077
It is not a caliber I would choose for elk but the ballistics put it between a 30-30 and 308 and I know what both of those calibers will do.
If 170 grain expanding bullets were available it would be even more efficient.[/QUOTE]

The ballistics of the 7.62X39 are not between the ,30-30 and .308. There are about 10 percent below the .30-30.

Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

Shot placement and knowing maximum effective range are key. Bullet caliber comes second to both.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

People Like This 
Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #27

Liked 71 Times on 59 Posts

Well it's pretty much a 30-30 and you can get HPs and SPs, so I would assume yes.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #28

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
you say that but this 7.62x39 over penetrated the hog at 175 yards and the hog dropped dead on the spot,, the time it took me to walk out there she wasn't even breathing or moving at all, the bullet passed all the way threw at about a 20* angle from just behind the front right shoulder and out about 9" back from the left shoulder.

dont know about you but thats impressed the hell out of me,, especially shooting hollow point ammo

i could have used my .270 for that shot but i already had my ak in my hands and i know from taking deer with an sks out to that distance and more that it would do the job if i do my part... that 7.62x39 gave the hog a good quick and clean death

im sure many many hogs and other large game are hunted with AK47 in south Africa by the people that live there

edit

i agree that within its limits,, sorta like me taking a deer last year at just over 800 yards with a Remington core lokt 150g .270win,, and it went from the deers upper chest and out the groin area just under the rear leg (deer was facing me) that was with a 24" barrel Remington 700 that i built chambered in .270win,,, not short mag or any other... rifle rounds do far more than what people give them credit for.

but even though the rear sight leaf says 1000 meters i sure as hell wouldn't have chanced wounding the deer with an ak at that distance
OK, no one uses an AK in South Africa to hunt with. They are a hunting society, not a bunch of red necks in a pick-up.
Now your 800 yard shot. BS. That 150gr would drop 202" at 800. w/ 1/4" adjustments that is 96 clicks from a 100 yard zero, 24.2moa. A 5mph wind would have drifted that bullet 30 inches. retained energy at impact would have been 686fpe, no way enough to pass though the entire body cavity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The ballistics of the 7.62X39 are not between the ,30-30 and .308. There are about 10 percent below the .30-30.
Correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Shot placement and knowing maximum effective range are key. Bullet caliber comes second to both.
I'm just comfused by this. I'm not sure if you are talking about a bullet, or cartridge here. If I own a .308, and the effective fpe for Elk max out at 300 yards, does not the caliber and bullet weight dictate effective range??

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I was more or less saying that shot placement and YOUR maximum effective range matter more than the caliber. Can you hit vitals? How far out can you accurately place your shot to hit vitals? I've seen people shoot a .308 at 750 yards at a steel plate. But they would be 1 out of 5 in a deer kill zone at that distance.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #30

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

i love people who use an online ballistics computer and think they know every thing,,,, 20MOA scope base and yes my scope can be adjusted to get me on target with hold over using the retical i have,,, also most days here are honestly no wind at all like today

the shots i take are as real as the firearms i own,, your more than welcome to come see just how far i score hits and guess GASP i didnt need a computer to tell me how to do it

i can also hit a 24" gong at 440 yards (1/4 mile) with every shot from my Stevens 416 .22lr thats 73 years old and i never clean the bore cause it shoots like **** when i do,, and yes this .22lr shoots one hole groups at 100 yards and thats suppose to be impossible with .22lr from a true 26" barrel but your welcome to come see that with your own eyes too,,, had a couple of guys from other forums come out for the free range time and to see that yes,,, people who shoot every day like i do get damn good at it,,, far better than what a computer or some instructor will tell ya