Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #171
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 671 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Misinformation? Im pretty sure AMERICAN HUNTER magazine isn't in the habit of spreading misinformation. You don't know what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever used a 223 and a bullet designed to hunt medium sized game? Of course you haven't you're just talking ****. Every deer and pig Ive killed has been a clean and humane kill. Nothing wrong with that partner. You are gonna try and tell me how to hunt when you want to use the worst 30cal round ever invented. Come on man.
therewolf hit it on the head! Gun rags get paid by advertisers. If the ammo company is coming out w/ a new bullet and agrees to a full page add for 3 months of course they will do a review and make it favorable.
I have 60gr partitions and Barnes XFB, Now the TSX. Neither is suitable IMHO.
Maybe you hunt those dog sized deer like they have in Fla., don't know. In that case a .223 is perfect.

Look at some ballistics! The .223 w/ a 60gr partition @ 150 yards has 870fpe, basically the minimum for whitetail. That is with a 24" barrel. Use an AR and you can cut that back a bit. Marginal is not a good choice. Not a fast woods gun either.
One of my favorites is 6.5x55. A 139gr at 150yards retains 1690fpe.
.308 w/ a 150gr at 150 yards, 1897fpe.
My other favorite, 9.3x57 w/ a 286gr and below 2100fps MV has 2077fpe at 150 yards.
The .223 does not even come close to being in the same class. The .223 data is also max, the others are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
looks like more internet nonsense being spread by a like minded person such as your self,, if one looks hard enough on the net they could justify there opionion what ever that my be

the net is very full of misinformation and i do not speak of what i have read but what i have done and seen time and time again,, .223 can kill a deer yes, just like .22lr can but its not reialible enought for a "clean & humane" kill, argue all you want and your still wrong like it or not,, this is not opionion this is fact.

i have even seen a deer dropped with a 9mm carbine, it can do it but its definitely not the right round for the job, even though its legal here in tx to do so.
Ethics!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Who's talking ****? Who says the M43 is "the worst 30cal round ever

invented" ? You? American Hunter magazine is in the habit of spreading

exactly what it's readers and advertisers want to see.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I think you guys should settle this with a shoot-off, live targets; i'd suggest bear cubs, maybe three each at different ranges. Use a stopwatch to see how long they twitch after a good shot to their breadbasket. The upside is, no matter which of you wins, the bears lose.
Mind if we shoot adult bears?? Black bear are not that tough, a .223 should be perfect! I'll use my 9.3x57 that has the recoil of a .223 and flatten 'em like a pancake.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 05-24-2013 at 10:36 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 05-24-2013, 11:53 PM   #172
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1372 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Now a 223 is adequate for deer hunting? 223 ballistic tip ammo has about the same amount of energy as a 357. Now the **** is getting deep. Next thing you know you all will be hunting deer with a 22 wmr. For christs sake get a real deer rifle. It will last you for the rest of your life. Once you get the rifle sighted in 100 rounds will last for several seasons. You will lose far too many deer to justify any savings.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Nathantc Likes This 
Old 05-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #173

Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Regardless of what you guy's think of a writer and his opinion Im still going to have successful deer hunts with my 223. I don't care what you use Patterson. Im gonna use my 223, 243, 30-06 depending on where Im hunting. I have proven to myself that the 223 with the right bullet can easily handle the job as long as the shooter does his. If I miss and just wound the deer I will let you guys know but don't hold your breath Im a pretty good shot.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:03 AM   #174

Liked 2436 Times on 1388 Posts
Likes Given: 1909

Oh, sorry, I don't hunt deer, BTW.

But to return to topic, IMHO,

7.62 x 39 is a great round for

wild boar in the brush.

Old 05-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #175

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68 View Post
Misinformation? Im pretty sure AMERICAN HUNTER magazine isn't in the habit of spreading misinformation. You don't know what the hell you are talking about. Have you ever used a 223 and a bullet designed to hunt medium sized game? Of course you haven't you're just talking ****. Every deer and pig Ive killed has been a clean and humane kill. Nothing wrong with that partner. You are gonna try and tell me how to hunt when you want to use the worst 30cal round ever invented. Come on man.
as a matter of fact yes i have,, i first started out with a .223 and learned there is no round out of it good for game bigger than a coyote, so i guess my personal experience must be someone magically wrong, and some magazine who wants to be popular with the ar crowd surely wouldn't stretch the truth a bit

you must be mr feinstein, cause just like diane, you decide to believe in something and don't care to face facts, just keep on searching till you find someone else to confirm it for you to try and prove a false point to an informed crowd... yep your just like her but on another page
Old 05-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #176
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19784 Times on 11233 Posts
Likes Given: 49862

just to be fair and objective, i will ask this question. what was the 223/5.56mm designed for? what were the objectives and intended usage of that round?

IMO, most centerfire 22 calibered cartridges were designed for smaller game or varmints, not medium sized game like deer and such. will a 223 kill a deer? yes it will, when a person uses proper bullets and proper shot placement at reasonable distances. but IMO, it's not the optimum caliber for deer sized animals and leaves little room for errors in shot placement.

a 223 would not be my first, second or third choice for a deer rifle. probably at the very bottom of the list, if i were to even give it any consideration.

and Bama, saying you have taken deer with a 223 and all your bragging on it, luck may have been on your side as well. but sometimes better to be lucky than good i guess.

People Like This 
Old 05-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
as a matter of fact yes i have,, i first started out with a .223 and learned there is no round out of it good for game bigger than a coyote, so i guess my personal experience must be someone magically wrong, and some magazine who wants to be popular with the ar crowd surely wouldn't stretch the truth a bit

you must be mr feinstein, cause just like diane, you decide to believe in something and don't care to face facts, just keep on searching till you find someone else to confirm it for you to try and prove a false point to an informed crowd... yep your just like her but on another page
Hey man Im just telling you about my personal experiences. The 223 kills deer grave yard dead. I don't personally care about the popularity of a magazine. I don't think what was said in the magazine was wrong. My experience is with proper bullet selection and emphasis on distance deer can easily be killed with 223. I have killed deer with my handloads.

How is my experience a false point? Im 45yrs old and have killed 100's of deer with just about every caliber you can think of. What facts have I missed. What false point am I concocting. The facts are the facts. The 223 kills deer easily. Its not my fault this apparent informed crowd cant understand these simple facts.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:39 AM   #178

Liked 594 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68

Hey man Im just telling you about my personal experiences. The 223 kills deer grave yard dead. I don't personally care about the popularity of a magazine. I don't think what was said in the magazine was wrong. My experience is with proper bullet selection and emphasis on distance deer can easily be killed with 223. I have killed deer with my handloads.

How is my experience a false point? Im 45yrs old and have killed 100's of deer with just about every caliber you can think of. What facts have I missed. What false point am I concocting. The facts are the facts. The 223 kills deer easily. Its not my fault this apparent informed crowd cant understand these simple facts.
I agree. I've NEVER lost a deer with my hand loads out of a .223. Come to think about it, none of my friends have either.

BTW, you up for sharing your reload data??
I use either a 55gr or 60gr Hornady V-max
27.5gr B-Lc(2)

I also trim, and turn the brass. I ream the primer pocket too.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:21 AM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I agree. I've NEVER lost a deer with my hand loads out of a .223. Come to think about it, none of my friends have either.

BTW, you up for sharing your reload data??
I use either a 55gr or 60gr Hornady V-max
27.5gr B-Lc(2)
Don't mind at all. I mostly use 65gr Gameking. My best load with that bullet is with 25.5gr W748 powder, LC brass, CCI-400primers, OAL 2.26 This load consistently grouped between 1.5-2.25'' out of a scoped mini-14. Every group I shoot for accuracy is 5 shots. Many times I could have stopped at 3 shots and had sub-moa groups.

Most of my brass is once fired. Various headstamps. I usually separate by headstamp, then group by weight after they have been trimmed with WFT which is badass BTW, I load with a RCBS Rockchuker, RCBS dies and finish with Lee FCD. I clean the brass with a RCBS Vibratory cleaner with corn cob media and Nu-Finish. No pressure signs on the brass with this load.

Last edited by bamashooter68; 05-25-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:53 AM   #180

Liked 594 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1233

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamashooter68

Don't mind at all. I mostly use 65gr Gameking. My best load with that bullet is with 25.5gr W748 powder, LC brass, CCI-400primers, OAL 2.26 This load consistently grouped between 1.5-2.25'' out of a scoped mini-14. Every group I shoot for accuracy is 5 shots. Many times I could have stopped at 3 shots and had sub-moa groups.

Most of my brass is once fired. Various headstamps. I usually separate by headstamp, then group by weight after they have been trimmed with WFT which is badass BTW, I load with a RCBS Rockchuker, RCBS dies and finish with Lee FCD. I clean the brass with a RCBS Vibratory cleaner with corn cob media and Nu-Finish. No pressure signs on the brass with this load.
I love the matchkings and gamekings, some of the better bullets out there. I also clean my brass, I use a sonic cleaner with simple green in the water. I mostly use Lee and RCBS equipment. My brass is usually a mix of everything. That's why I trim, turn, and ream every case.