Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,209
Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
instead of my cell phone i so need a digital camera with tripod,, cause saying this usually starts a lot of bs but showing shuts everyone up,,,, i can at 300 yards explode an apple with my .270win usings winchester ballistic silvertip 130g rounds... they shoot the best in my rifle. i have done this over and over to show people that the .270win is extremely under rated in the accuracy department.

though i shoot just about every day out here too so im as use to my .270win as most are with there .22lr so i dont flinch or even blink


every one should shoot whatever they hunt with all year around not just 5-10 shots a year,,, like most hunters do. this is how you can be damn good with the shoulder thumpers out there

another mistake most make is wanting a light rifle,,, personally i can hold a heavy rifle much more steady,, not sure why but its always been that way for me. a heavy rifle also has less felt recoil,, weight works better than any muzzle brake
I allways thought the .270 was supposed to be an accurate caliber? I have never heard it knocked in the accuracy department. I can shoot the hell out of both my 7mm and .300 but it gets a bit too messy on a 100 lb doe. A .243 is perfect medicine.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #152
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,662
Liked 1391 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
If you wind up hunting in short brush, for wild boar, a long

bolt gun is a hindrance. You are much better off with a

carbine which has a built in bayo, because those babies can

get underfoot.

I feel much more secure out there with my SKS, or an M44.

A 75+ yard shot is very unlikely, but you may have to stand

them off face to face. That's when the M43 round comes in

handy for me.
That is why African Guides who have to face down cape buffalo at 20 feet prefer a 516 rigby made by Weatherby. If they fail to make a perfect shot there is no need to call for medical assistance. Just get a shovel and a box to take their remains to their kin.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #153
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I allways thought the .270 was supposed to be an accurate caliber? I have never heard it knocked in the accuracy department. I can shoot the hell out of both my 7mm and .300 but it gets a bit too messy on a 100 lb doe. A .243 is perfect medicine.
the .308 guys give me hell all the time,, wich is funny cause the rounds i use are faster, about the same weight and have a better BC than 308,, the only thing 308 has on .270win is a shorter action to work, if that matters to ya.

but yes i here all the time that the .270 is a waisted cal cause you could just get 308 or 30.06

my answer is this .270win is more powerful and cheaper across the board on hunting ammo than 308. and it shoots flatter than 30.06

i was going to get a .243 but the ammo is more than my .270win and my .270 can do everything that a .243 can do... which sucks that a smaller round could possibly cost more because it would be nice to own one,, though i see no use for them at .308 ammo cost
__________________
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #154
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,209
Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

.243 is cheap to reload and I buy factory loadings cheaper that .270 different areas I guess

__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #155
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,662
Liked 1391 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 488

Default

I prefer a 30/06 to a 270 but that preference has nothing to do with the performance of the 270. If the 30/06 is the most versatile gun on the planet the 270 has a place in the argument. I have shot a lot of deer with a 270. For deer hunting that requires binoculars I love a 270. I still have my 270 savage. The 30/06 shoved it to the back of the safe because the BAR is better for shooting running deer. Another factor is most of the big timber has been logged and growing back. There are no more 2 mile long clearcuts in this area.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #156
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
.243 is cheap to reload and I buy factory loadings cheaper that .270 different areas I guess
its about $4-$8 per box more than .270 here

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I prefer a 30/06 to a 270 but that preference has nothing to do with the performance of the 270. If the 30/06 is the most versatile gun on the planet the 270 has a place in the argument. I have shot a lot of deer with a 270. For deer hunting that requires binoculars I love a 270. I still have my 270 savage. The 30/06 shoved it to the back of the safe because the BAR is better for shooting running deer. Another factor is most of the big timber has been logged and growing back. There are no more 2 mile long clearcuts in this area.
i think they make a BAR in .270 now,,, i could be wrong but i swear i have seen one before

but yes heavier round for bush is a must
__________________
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #157
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rocky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Red Deer,Alberta
Posts: 1,412
Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
instead of my cell phone i so need a digital camera with tripod,, cause saying this usually starts a lot of bs but showing shuts everyone up,,,, i can at 300 yards explode an apple with my .270win usings winchester ballistic silvertip 130g rounds... they shoot the best in my rifle. i have done this over and over to show people that the .270win is extremely under rated in the accuracy department.

though i shoot just about every day out here too so im as use to my .270win as most are with there .22lr so i dont flinch or even blink


every one should shoot whatever they hunt with all year around not just 5-10 shots a year,,, like most hunters do. this is how you can be damn good with the shoulder thumpers out there

another mistake most make is wanting a light rifle,,, personally i can hold a heavy rifle much more steady,, not sure why but its always been that way for me. a heavy rifle also has less felt recoil,, weight works better than any muzzle brake
We're on the same page, I believe.

I've built a whole series of Mauser-type rifles using exhibition English walnut and custom barrels made by a friend of mine who makes competition barrels. All of them are around 10 lb. rifles and for exactly the reasons you state. I hunt a lot in the Rockies but the extra 2-3 lbs does not matter as much as being able to shoot. I don't do the granola warrior thing with a backpack for a few days, but I do climb.

BTW, I do own a 300 Win Mag, a 300 WSM (don't ask) and 325 WSM. I'm not "agin" those or large calibers, just saying that for most people they are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
__________________

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Rocky7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #158
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East Texas, Texas!
Posts: 27,409
Liked 20055 Times on 11407 Posts
Likes Given: 50598

Default

well we can debate caliber sizes, magnum vs. non-magnum calibers and any other factors when it comes to hunting. it's pretty much irrelevent unless you practice and can hit accurately with whatever choice you made.

there are three key factors in making a humane kill. one, accurate shot placement. two, proper bullets for the intended usage. and three, know your own limits and those of the chosen round you intend to use. being a responsible and ethical hunter, then you will have learned this and apply it.

__________________
Coming From The Village Of The Damned.
Resist All Tyranny And Oppression.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil, is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #159
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jpattersonnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South central,NH
Posts: 4,924
Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 678

Default

I agree in part w/ what has been posted. When I'm hunting my rifles are light weight. My 6.5x55 is about 7lb+ w/ scope, 9.3x57 is 6.5lb no scope, 7MM rem mag 8lb w/ scope. I'm not recoil shy, just don't see the reason for an uber mag for normal hunting ranges. The 7MM Rem Mag is actually pretty timid compared to a .300WM. My buddy has the identical rifle as my 7mm in .270. He does not reload. That rifle will kick the snot out of you w/ factory 150gr.. It is quite abusive. I'm not small at 6'3" and 250lb range, but he is even taller and weighs more. It does slap him around. It is the powder that is used in the ammo. Cheap is not always good. I'm not your normal hunter as I've always used European metric calibers. I'd take an 8x57 over a .30-06 any day. 6.5x55 over .243, .270 or .30-06. 9.3x57 over a .35 Whelan. Just a personnal prefrence.
I like Mausers and I love classics. Axxe makes a great point. My take.... Most hunters think that .338WM is the ultimate Elk killer. My 7MM Rem Mag w/ a 160gr barnes will do the job just as well at 500 yards and under. Many think a .223 is sufficant for Whitetail, ummm no.

__________________

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

jpattersonnh is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #160
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bamashooter68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: cullman,alabama
Posts: 597
Liked 180 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Many think a .223 is sufficant for Whitetail, ummm no.
Sure it is. I killed two last year with my mini-14. Just like your badmouthing the .243. My guess is you have never used either one to hunt with. You stick with metric crap and I will keep putting meat in the freezer with my .223, .243, and 30-06.
__________________
bamashooter68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
hog hunting with 7.62x39 bmatt1 Hunting Forum 19 10-14-2011 01:17 PM
Century Arms GP WASR-10 7.62X39 30 Round HI CAP - $456 gunzilla Sponsor Display 0 06-02-2011 10:50 PM
What is your favorite .338 hunting round? Mantids88 Ammunition & Reloading 1 10-18-2010 12:43 AM
help me decide which hunting rifle to buy ItsmeShane Hunting Forum 11 09-27-2009 06:24 AM