Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide - Page 15
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #141
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
What he said.

It's not that guys who shoot medium calibers happen to be better shots, it's that they can practice without getting the beejeesus kicked out of them and so they do. They practice and thus become better shots and more confident. This makes them deadly.

I believe that each and every time a hunter I've run into in the bush either looking for help to track something he gut shot (never admitted) or with a story about a bionic deer/moose/elk that was mysteriously unaffected by his bullet(s) was shooting some variation of a stainless steel, synthetic, nitro express mind-bender that will give you a 1/4 turn when you pull the trigger - most often a .300 Win Mag. I believe most of them were short men, too, and although I hesitate to draw that connection, it has been noticeable in my experience.
I totally agree with people being able to shoot smaller caliber rifles better due to less recoil. The point I was trying to make is some people who do a lot of arm chair hunting refuse to acknowledge that a .223 ,.243,. 22-250 etc are more than a 22 lr and are easier to shoot than a .300 thunderf*cker and just as effectiv on DEER size game
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #142
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8019 Times on 4386 Posts
Likes Given: 7763

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
I totally agree with people being able to shoot smaller caliber rifles better due to less recoil. The point I was trying to make is some people who do a lot of arm chair hunting refuse to acknowledge that a .223 ,.243,. 22-250 etc are more than a 22 lr and are easier to shoot than a .300 thunderf*cker and just as effectiv on DEER size game
But...but... but... do ya mean Elmer Kieth and Jeffie Cooper were wrong???? Ya really don't need a .378 Weatherby magnum for woodchucks???? Really????

WOW! I can still hunt deer even if I retire my .505 Gibbs????

Or at least they did before political correctness
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #143

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
But...but... but... do ya mean Elmer Kieth and Jeffie Cooper were wrong???? Ya really don't need a .378 Weatherby magnum for woodchucks???? Really????

i would love to see that

Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 AM   #144

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101

I have seen/killed ooodles of deer killed with bow , black powder, rifle, Shotgun and know that broad heads cause the deer to bleed out. I have also had to spend hours looking for deer that forgot to lay down when they were bleeding out from a hole left by a broad head even though they were shot perfectly. Slow moving projectiles like a black powder sabot or a slug have a lower percentage of DRT kills per my experience.
They head towards water. I only have two bow kills ( im fairly new to bows) and the farthest they made it was 60 yards. And the blood trail was more like a blood slide. Not to argue I do agree that a high speed and high caliber rifle will produce better results.

I know a couple of associates who tell me they used to run them down on 4 wheelers and kill them with buck knives. I refuse to believe this ridiculous story but truth is people have taken deer since before firearms and broadheads. So in my opinion the 7.62 x 39mm is a fine deer cartridge if your a competent hunter.
People Like This 
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #145

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

If you wind up hunting in short brush, for wild boar, a long

bolt gun is a hindrance. You are much better off with a

carbine which has a built in bayo, because those babies can

get underfoot.

I feel much more secure out there with my SKS, or an M44.

A 75+ yard shot is very unlikely, but you may have to stand

them off face to face. That's when the M43 round comes in

handy for me.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #146

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Most of the deer I have shot with a Super X 12 ga slug had a wound similar to large caliber rifle. Only the new ballistic bullets similar to the hornady v-max do more damage. And ballistic bullets should be used with a high velocity rifle.
It is actually the opposite. Ballistic tip work better at mid range speeds in Magnums. I've had a 7mm 140gr ballistic tip explode on a whitetails rib under 100 yards, and when I thought it was down, it got up and took a second shot.
Uselees in my 7mm Rem Mag IMHO.
Quote:
What he said.

It's not that guys who shoot medium calibers happen to be better shots, it's that they can practice without getting the beejeesus kicked out of them and so they do. They practice and thus become better shots and more confident. This makes them deadly.

I believe that each and every time a hunter I've run into in the bush either looking for help to track something he gut shot (never admitted) or with a story about a bionic deer/moose/elk that was mysteriously unaffected by his bullet(s) was shooting some variation of a stainless steel, synthetic, nitro express mind-bender that will give you a 1/4 turn when you pull the trigger - most often a .300 Win Mag. I believe most of them were short men, too, and although I hesitate to draw that connection, it has been noticeable in my experience.
.300WM is a medium caliber. .366 gets into large. Just because you have had some experience w/ weekend commandos does not make the cartridge wrong. My experience has been w/ .243. Tracked more deer shot w/ .243 then any cartridge.

Quote:
I have seen/killed ooodles of deer killed with bow , black powder, rifle, Shotgun and know that broad heads cause the deer to bleed out. I have also had to spend hours looking for deer that forgot to lay down when they were bleeding out from a hole left by a broad head even though they were shot perfectly. Slow moving projectiles like a black powder sabot or a slug have a lower percentage of DRT kills per my experience.
So using a 9.3x57 for Africian plains game that are well over 300lb is not correct? You better inform the guides in Africa that carry it every day. It has a MV of 2100fps. Bullets average 286gr.

Quote:
BS, you are saying a .223, .243, or .22-250 is as effective as a .308?? The original post was MEDIUM, not small. Those are varmint calibers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

You better keep your ".300 thunderf*cker "
People Like This 
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #147

In 1965 I shot several bucks in our Family cornfield with marlin 22 lr although most we're head shots and legal on the farm , I did have to chase one down hill to water half mile away , I would never do thus again but my point is caliber. Distance Critical target area , the 39 killed a lot of souls in this world kudos to the ak but give me a 22-250 243 260/ 270 and I'm good I traded my mini 30 and its ill feeding clips for a set of tires on my wheeler nuff said

Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #148

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
It is actually the opposite. Ballistic tip work better at mid range speeds in Magnums. I've had a 7mm 140gr ballistic tip explode on a whitetails rib under 100 yards, and when I thought it was down, it got up and took a second shot.
Uselees in my 7mm Rem Mag IMHO.

.300WM is a medium caliber. .366 gets into large. Just because you have had some experience w/ weekend commandos does not make the cartridge wrong. My experience has been w/ .243. Tracked more deer shot w/ .243 then any cartridge.

So using a 9.3x57 for Africian plains game that are well over 300lb is not correct? You better inform the guides in Africa that carry it every day. It has a MV of 2100fps. Bullets average 286gr.

BS, you are saying a .223, .243, or .22-250 is as effective as a .308?? The original post was MEDIUM, not small. Those are varmint calibers.

You better keep your ".300 thunderf*cker "
Respectfully I never said the first thing about hunting in Africa. Here in eastern NC our deer average around 120 lbs and we don't have lions etc that will eat a hunter so a a caliber in the range of a 9.3 x57. My experience with weekend commandos was working as a outfitter taking experienced hunters from northern states turkey a deer hunting. As to your statement about 243 et al being varmint calibers call them what you will but they are incrediably effective in my experience. I have had the 7mm Rem Mag and have a .300 Mag but have used a plain jane .243 ADL for the past three season accounting for 17 deer. I feel that is enough real world evidence to make my case.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #149

Liked 1397 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I've had a 7mm 140gr ballistic tip explode on a whitetails rib under 100 yards, and when I thought it was down, it got up and took a second shot.
I've heard about medium caliber bullets that exploded on a WT rib and didn't penetrate. I've never seen it. Nobody I know or have ever hunted with has seen it, either. My own limited experience with using a 7 Mag on a Whitetail is that if it hits a rib going in, it will blow a hole clean through the chest and the deer is not any deader than the ones I've shot with my .25-06 or 6mm or maybe .270 or so.

My own experience has been that almost all bionic animals were shot too far back. In that case, it wouldn't matter if the shooter was using a .338.

There will always be those who prefer a large hole in the end of the barrel and that's fine if they can shoot it accurately. Only a small percentage of those to carry such rifles can shoot them accurately. Most flinch. Most shut their eyes when they pull the trigger. And, in turn, many of them will seek an even larger caliber to cure the problem of wounded animals. I'm not saying all and I'm not saying you. Just sayin' most.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-23-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #150

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
I've heard about medium caliber bullets that exploded on a WT rib and didn't penetrate. I've never seen it. Nobody I know or have ever hunted with has seen it, either. My own limited experience with using a 7 Mag on a Whitetail is that if it hits a rib going in, it will blow a hole clean through the chest and the deer is not any deader than the ones I've shot with my .25-06 or 6mm or maybe .270 or so.

My own experience has been that almost all bionic animals were shot too far back. In that case, it wouldn't matter if the shooter was using a .338.

There will always be those who prefer a large hole in the end of the barrel and that's fine if they can shoot it accurately. Only a small percentage of those to carry such rifles can shoot them accurately. Most flinch. Most shut their eyes when they pull the trigger. And, in turn, many of them will seek an even larger caliber to cure the problem of wounded animals. I'm not saying all and I'm not saying you. Just sayin' most.
instead of my cell phone i so need a digital camera with tripod,, cause saying this usually starts a lot of bs but showing shuts everyone up,,,, i can at 300 yards explode an apple with my .270win usings winchester ballistic silvertip 130g rounds... they shoot the best in my rifle. i have done this over and over to show people that the .270win is extremely under rated in the accuracy department.

though i shoot just about every day out here too so im as use to my .270win as most are with there .22lr so i dont flinch or even blink

every one should shoot whatever they hunt with all year around not just 5-10 shots a year,,, like most hunters do. this is how you can be damn good with the shoulder thumpers out there

another mistake most make is wanting a light rifle,,, personally i can hold a heavy rifle much more steady,, not sure why but its always been that way for me. a heavy rifle also has less felt recoil,, weight works better than any muzzle brake