Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #131
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,820
Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Default

Everyone thinks of a perfect shot when hunting. But the fact of the matter is a perfect shot doesn't always present itself. When you hunt with a low power round you have to choose your shots carefully. About the onlt shots that ensure a quick clean kill are going to be with the deer broadside. Larger calibers allow you to take quartering shots where the deer is walking away. If your bullet strikes a limb and is deflected a larger caliber will still kill the deer or knock it down for a quick follow up shot. The reason the woods are called the woods there is a lot of wood in the woods.

I shot a running deer 8 times with an SKS it never fell until it was dead. I don't know how many times I was forced to shoot deer multiple times with an SKS. Everyone of the shots should have been one shot kills. I had great shot placement, everything was perfect. Shooting a deer that runs off so it's difficult or impossible to find only feeds buzzards. Once the deer runs off your chances of finding it drop dramatically.

Take it from someone who has already been there and done that, you can find a better deer rifle than a 7.62x39. Even a shotgun with slugs is far superior to the 7.62x39.

__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #132
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Everyone thinks of a perfect shot when hunting. But the fact of the matter is a perfect shot doesn't always present itself. When you hunt with a low power round you have to choose your shots carefully. About the onlt shots that ensure a quick clean kill are going to be with the deer broadside. Larger calibers allow you to take quartering shots where the deer is walking away. If your bullet strikes a limb and is deflected a larger caliber will still kill the deer or knock it down for a quick follow up shot. The reason the woods are called the woods there is a lot of wood in the woods.

I shot a running deer 8 times with an SKS it never fell until it was dead. I don't know how many times I was forced to shoot deer multiple times with an SKS. Everyone of the shots should have been one shot kills. I had great shot placement, everything was perfect. Shooting a deer that runs off so it's difficult or impossible to find only feeds buzzards. Once the deer runs off your chances of finding it drop dramatically.

Take it from someone who has already been there and done that, you can find a better deer rifle than a 7.62x39. Even a shotgun with slugs is far superior to the 7.62x39.
got my .270 for that,,, i use 7.62x39 for hogs, coyote's and feral dog mostly, for that its damn good,, though i have take 4 deer in my lifetime with this round,, all of them over 100 yards off and they dropped right where they stood
__________________
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #133
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Default

In Indiana you can only use pistol caliber rifles and shotguns or muzzle loader. I have seen a lot of deer drop on the spot with cheap Winchester super x 12 gauge. And with crossbows and bows. Last year I took a 196 lb 8 point from 60 yards he only went about ten feet and fell. When I dressed him there was a hole in his heart as big as quarter. Slugs are heavy and slow. Speed only destroys more tissue from hydrostatic shock.

__________________
rifleman77 is offline  
Nathantc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #134
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,209
Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
In Indiana you can only use pistol caliber rifles and shotguns or muzzle loader. I have seen a lot of deer drop on the spot with cheap Winchester super x 12 gauge. And with crossbows and bows. Last year I took a 196 lb 8 point from 60 yards he only went about ten feet and fell. When I dressed him there was a hole in his heart as big as quarter. Slugs are heavy and slow. Speed only destroys more tissue from hydrostatic shock.
When you said speed only destroys more tissue from hydostatic shock you made my point - it destroys more tissue. I fail to see your point. Deer are not hard to kill if you are somewhat capable.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #135
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,820
Liked 1487 Times on 1006 Posts
Likes Given: 514

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
In Indiana you can only use pistol caliber rifles and shotguns or muzzle loader. I have seen a lot of deer drop on the spot with cheap Winchester super x 12 gauge. And with crossbows and bows. Last year I took a 196 lb 8 point from 60 yards he only went about ten feet and fell. When I dressed him there was a hole in his heart as big as quarter. Slugs are heavy and slow. Speed only destroys more tissue from hydrostatic shock.
Most of the deer I have shot with a Super X 12 ga slug had a wound similar to large caliber rifle. Only the new ballistic bullets similar to the hornady v-max do more damage. And ballistic bullets should be used with a high velocity rifle.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #136
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101

When you said speed only destroys more tissue from hydostatic shock you made my point - it destroys more tissue. I fail to see your point. Deer are not hard to kill if you are somewhat capable.
My whole point is if you destroy more tissue in an animals rear it doesn't make them die faster. You have to destroy the vital organs heart and lungs. Speed weight hollow or ballistic tips don't matter as much as personal accuracy and knowing the anatomy of the animal your are trying to kill.
__________________
rifleman77 is offline  
Rocky7 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #137
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,209
Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
My whole point is if you destroy more tissue in an animals rear it doesn't make them die faster. You have to destroy the vital organs heart and lungs. Speed weight hollow or ballistic tips don't matter as much as personal accuracy and knowing the anatomy of the animal your are trying to kill.
I agree that shot placement is key. That said and all things being equal speed turns vital organs into jelly. Animals tend to drop in there tracks as opposed to running like the do with a bow where they bleed out. This is why during muzzle loader season I shoot deer in the shoulders. By breaking that bone the deer is unable to run off and die in a thicket.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #138
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Default

They usually don't get to far with a bow either. If you've ever seen the how fast they bleed from one of those broad heads you would know what I'm sayin.

__________________
rifleman77 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #139
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rocky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Red Deer,Alberta
Posts: 1,412
Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
t.....maybe the guys with the smaller rifles were good shots,, or the guys with the larger rifles are scared of the recoil and pulled the shot
What he said.

It's not that guys who shoot medium calibers happen to be better shots, it's that they can practice without getting the beejeesus kicked out of them and so they do. They practice and thus become better shots and more confident. This makes them deadly.

I believe that each and every time a hunter I've run into in the bush either looking for help to track something he gut shot (never admitted) or with a story about a bionic deer/moose/elk that was mysteriously unaffected by his bullet(s) was shooting some variation of a stainless steel, synthetic, nitro express mind-bender that will give you a 1/4 turn when you pull the trigger - most often a .300 Win Mag. I believe most of them were short men, too, and although I hesitate to draw that connection, it has been noticeable in my experience.
__________________

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.


Last edited by Rocky7; 05-21-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Rocky7 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buttholeville
Posts: 1,209
Liked 747 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
They usually don't get to far with a bow either. If you've ever seen the how fast they bleed from one of those broad heads you would know what I'm sayin.
I have seen/killed ooodles of deer killed with bow , black powder, rifle, Shotgun and know that broad heads cause the deer to bleed out. I have also had to spend hours looking for deer that forgot to lay down when they were bleeding out from a hole left by a broad head even though they were shot perfectly. Slow moving projectiles like a black powder sabot or a slug have a lower percentage of DRT kills per my experience.
__________________
nchunt101 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
hog hunting with 7.62x39 bmatt1 Hunting Forum 19 10-14-2011 01:17 PM
What is your favorite .338 hunting round? Mantids88 Ammunition & Reloading 1 10-18-2010 12:43 AM
help me decide which hunting rifle to buy ItsmeShane Hunting Forum 11 09-27-2009 06:24 AM