Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Is 7.62x39 an acceptible hunting round,,, you decide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 AM   #121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 590 Times on 354 Posts
Likes Given: 1168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc
you dont pay attention to well do you

it is very effective at wounding, thats its intention, the bigger bullet is very effective at killing, so yes the military does use it,, but its not and never will be the "best" round they have chosen, just the round chosen based on the idea of wounding the enemy to take him and two others out of the fight,,, with obviously was a mistake which is why there looking in to other ideas now
You seem to be rather ill informed my friend. If t can kill a deer with no problems it will kill a man. I've shot plenty of deer with it, never tracked past 50yds.

Ohh BTW what you call a CQB AR can still shoot MOA at 100yds.

What do I know? I'm just a guy on the Internet.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #122

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

image-3861308143.jpg

Everyone stop arguing and just pick one of these up next time your out shopping.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #123

Liked 47 Times on 37 Posts

Just an FYI the most important part of hunting is where you place the round not how big or small it is or what style gun it comes out. You could kill a deer with a .22 mag if you hit the heart.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #124

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman77 View Post
Attachment 101839

Everyone stop arguing and just pick one of these up next time your out shopping.
i really want one of the newer AR30A1's in .300win, very nice rifle for the price
the newer ones come with the barrel threaded 5/8x24 so its a standard thread instead of the Armalite specific muzzle threads like the one you have there

Old 05-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #125

Liked 2393 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1881

All this time I thought the military was going for

smaller rounds because you could carry more of

them.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #126
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5075 Times on 2887 Posts
Likes Given: 4243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
you dont pay attention to well do you

it is very effective at wounding, thats its intention, the bigger bullet is very effective at killing, so yes the military does use it,, but its not and never will be the "best" round they have chosen, just the round chosen based on the idea of wounding the enemy to take him and two others out of the fight,,, with obviously was a mistake which is why there looking in to other ideas now
First, they're not seriously looking at replacing it now. That would be stupid, and they are not stupid.

I realize that you aren't old enough to remember the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The soviets soon realized that the 7.63X39 wasn't very effective. They switched to the 5.45X39 in 1974. The Afghans immediately started complaining to the U.N, that the soviets were using "poison bullets" because the small, high velocity bullet was so much more deadly.

The Chinese investigated the devastating effectiveness of the 5.56 and 5.45 and switched to a newer 5.8 mm cartridge.

You need to stop reading "Goofy Jeffie" and learn from the experiences of the world's largest and most powerful armies.

Some folks might be arrogant enough to think they know more than the U.S. Army research and development scientists, but I can't believe that anyone is arrogant enough to think they know more than all of the NATO countries, Warsaw Pact countries and China combined.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM   #127

Liked 1394 Times on 729 Posts
Likes Given: 1919

I just finished a real interesting biography of an early 20th century trapper/wolfer. He killed plenty of moose with calibers under .308; including several with a .22 High Power. His 30-06 with 220 gr. was his favourite for grizzly and he shot dozens of them; some at very close range when he had to. They all died. Mind you, he could shoot.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
First, they're not seriously looking at replacing it now. That would be stupid, and they are not stupid.

I realize that you aren't old enough to remember the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The soviets soon realized that the 7.63X39 wasn't very effective. They switched to the 5.45X39 in 1974. The Afghans immediately started complaining to the U.N, that the soviets were using "poison bullets" because the small, high velocity bullet was so much more deadly.

The Chinese investigated the devastating effectiveness of the 5.56 and 5.45 and switched to a newer 5.8 mm cartridge.

You need to stop reading "Goofy Jeffie" and learn from the experiences of the world's largest and most powerful armies.

Some folks might be arrogant enough to think they know more than the U.S. Army research and development scientists, but I can't believe that anyone is arrogant enough to think they know more than all of the NATO countries, Warsaw Pact countries and China combined.
i never claimed to be smarter but love the round all you want,, i have seen real wound tracks and real results and i would not want to trust a round that is not likely to stop some one dead in their tracks,, not saying it cant,, just that it won't reliably

the truth behind the smaller high velocity round is its better for light body armor, not because its a better man stopper, another reason is under full auto fire its much more controllable
the logic that i can kill therefore its ok is just plain silly.

as stated, a .22lr can kill a deer or even a man,,, but the ratio of clean kills to wounding is very bad, yes even in people,, i friend who just got back from iraq showed me a very graphic video from when he was there of a guy getting hit repeatedly and still trying to continue the fight,, thats not the situation i would be comfortable seeing,, that 5.56 is good for what it was designed for,, light body armor penetration, not so much for flesh

when the idea of taking a man out with a single shot is made, all countries use rounds for their sniper rifles that have a hell of a lot more punch than any 5.56, you never hear of a real sniper , police or military, wanting a .223 for their weapon of choice.

there is so much confusion around this subject its mind boggling but the bottom line is,, its on the very very low end of useful rounds for large game

Old 05-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #129

Liked 746 Times on 450 Posts
Likes Given: 402

In the past 5 seasons I have helped an NC outfitter guide deer hunts we have NOT had to track deer shot with a .243, .223, or 22-250 but have tracked deer shot with the big magnums and the common .270 30-06 type cartridges. Speed kills plain and simple. The 7.62x39 is ok for deer in the brush but I have yet to see where it really shines as a cartridge. IMHO a 7.62x39 is just a underloaded 30-30.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunt101 View Post
Speed kills plain and simple.
the .270win throws a 130g projectile faster than the 5.56 62g projectile, maybe the guys with the smaller rifles were good shots,, or the guys with the larger rifles are scared of the recoil and pulled the shot