7-30 Waters

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 7-30 Waters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 7-30 Waters

I have a Winchester in 7-30 Waters. I understand and can see that it's just a 7mm bullet on a 30-30 case. I happen to like it a lot. What kept this combination from being a standard? Did the 30-30 just continue to win out or was it something like a .223 that did it in. Just curious.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

When something new comes on the market, no one knows if it will be a hit or a miss. For sure there are alot more that miss than take off. The 7-30 is a fine round that just turned out to be a miss. jmho

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The 7-30 Waters is a fine round but is just about dead. It was meant to extend the range of lever guns but since it required flat nose bullets in those lever guns it fell short of improving upon 30-30 ballistics. Where it really shined is the TC Contender where you could use spitzer bullets. I had a Contender barrel in 7-30 Waters and wound up rechambering it for the "Ackley" improved version.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

If at the time it came out there were the plastic tipped bullets safe for lever guns mighta been a different story

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh yeah, I sorta forgot about the flat nose bullet requirement. I've loaded mine with spitzer type and only put one in the chamber and one in the magazine for so long, I just forgot about it even though I was compensating for it. Da! The spitzer type does make a world of difference believe me. I do remember how poor the flat nose performed.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider