Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   7-08 vs. 308, what do you think for all around cartridge? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/7-08-vs-308-what-do-you-think-all-around-cartridge-58731/)

7mmstw 02-25-2012 09:18 AM

7-08 vs. 308, what do you think for all around cartridge?
 
I would like your opinion on the debate between the 7-08 rem and the 308 win. I know brass for the 308 and loaded ammo is everywhere and it's been researched to death. I tend to favor the 7mm family so I would appreciate some knowledge from both sides. Thanks.

cottontop 02-25-2012 11:55 AM

There is no debate. That's like comparing a horse to a mule. They are slightly similar, yet way different. Now, if you compared the .308 to the .30-06 or the 7mm-08 to the 7x57 Mauser, then your comparison has merit. That being said, if I had to choose, I would pick the 7mm-08 over the .308. The 7mm-08 ammo might be a little more difficult to find, but if you reload, it is not a problem. Even if you don't, it is still available. The 7mm-08, w/ comparable weight bullets, hits about as hard and gets their a little quicker w/ less recoil. However, you would not go wrong w/ either cartridge.
cottontop

HockaLouis 02-25-2012 03:07 PM

Hmmm... Redirecting. I'm thinking .270. Maybe 243 or .30-06 Ackley Improved.

RaySendero 02-25-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7mmstw (Post 719776)
I would like your opinion on the debate between the 7-08 rem and the 308 win. I know brass for the 308 and loaded ammo is everywhere and it's been researched to death. I tend to favor the 7mm family so I would appreciate some knowledge from both sides. Thanks.

7, What would you hunt with a 7-08 that you wouldn't hunt with a 308?

TGReaper 02-25-2012 03:35 PM

I just went through this, and decided to go with the .308. It delivers given bullet weights a bit faster and will shoot 180s which is a streach for the 7.
TGR

Axxe55 02-25-2012 03:39 PM

i have both the 308 and the 7mm-08, i reload for both. if i had to make a choice, i am sure it wouldn't be an easy one. both could be interchangeable in use. the 308 has a slight edge in being able to use a little larger bullets more effectively. the 7mm-08 has a slight edge in lesser recoil. i enjoy shooting both and find that reloading allows me to shoot the 7mm-08 more than if i used factory ammo. so this would be my suggestion, if only using factory ammo available, the 308, because of more widely available and cheaper in cost. the 7mm-08 if you reload.

jpattersonnh 02-25-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 720018)
i have both the 308 and the 7mm-08, i reload for both. if i had to make a choice, i am sure it wouldn't be an easy one. both could be interchangeable in use. the 308 has a slight edge in being able to use a little larger bullets more effectively. the 7mm-08 has a slight edge in lesser recoil. i enjoy shooting both and find that reloading allows me to shoot the 7mm-08 more than if i used factory ammo. so this would be my suggestion, if only using factory ammo available, the 308, because of more widely available and cheaper in cost. the 7mm-08 if you reload.

Very well put.

ChicagoJoe 02-27-2012 07:52 PM

Unless you reload go with the .308, which is ubiquitous and reasonably priced. In contrast, 7MM-08 ammunition is expensive if you can find it.

sniper762 02-29-2012 02:41 AM

Comparing projos of like weights and rifles of similar weights, one can not get there "faster" with "less" recoil

7mmstw 02-29-2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sniper762
Comparing projos of like weights and rifles of similar weights, one can not get there "faster" with "less" recoil

Actually they can


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.