6mm AI buying advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 6mm AI buying advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default 6mm AI buying advice

Well folks I need some more advice,comments, info, answers etc. on a rifle that I am thinking of buying. It's a 6mm ackely based on a 700 rem. McMillin stock, Shilen barrel. I am not sure if any trigger work or replacement has been done. I haven't seen the rifle yet but expect to soon, so I would like to be better prepared as to how to gauge the rifles condition (especially the barrel). My questions are: 1) I understand that this caliber is a "barrel burner" so how would a layman such as myself know if the barrels' life is past it's prime and needed replacing ? 2) what is a fair price for a rifle like this, The owner is asking $700 ? And finally, if anyone has any experience with this round or a rifle of this sort and cares to comment on this, I am all ears. Thanks again, Ron...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 PM   #2

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 729

6x???AI Pretty vague. 6.5x.06 would be perfect!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

6mm Ackley Improved (AI). The shoulder is blown out a bit from the standard 6mm Rem. Not near the throat burner as a 220 swift. A friend had a custom 6mm rifle that shot one hole groups at 100 yds. It started shooting cloverleafs and then tight clusters. He thought it was time for a new barrel. I suggested a good cleaning with Shooters Choice bore solvent.

Long story short, the groups had opened up because of copper fouling. After a good cleaning, it was back to one hole groups. That barrel has over 2000 rds fired through it and seems to have at least another 1000 left in it. I would not be overly concerned about a shot up barrel.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

if it is a rebarreled 6mm AI with a shilen barrel the dude should have spent just about that having the barrel replaced if he had the action blue printed.

you can get a 75gr V-max cooking along at 3800+ fps that is smokin.

the best way to see how the barrel is is a bore scope. These overbored cartridges are hell on throats (First part of the barrel just last the chamber). If the throat is good I would be on this like a fat kid on a all you can eat cup cake bar.

I have seen guns like this go for double what he is asking. Depending on what McMillan stock he is using that cost almost $600.

This is not a rifle for shooting prairie dogs all day long. This is a hey look there's a ground hog 700 yards out there. Shoot that grass guzzler.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry for being a bit vague, as of today I have only talked to the seller on the phone for a short time. I obviously need to ask more questions. tango, just what would a worn throat look like? Would this wear be obvious ? Would fouling would be evident with a bore scope ? sorry for my ignorance, been around firearms all my life, however most of the rifles I own haven't had anywhere near a thousand rounds put through them so I haven't been all that concerned about barrel wear. As to the stock I guess I need to spend some time on mcmillans site and get a feel for the different model stocks.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks to all for your help on this, I've done a little more research on "throats" and fouling, which was a step in the right direction. Supposedly this rifle has had only about 300 rounds run through the barrel, we shall see. thanks again Ron...

Old 11-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I have a .220 Swift with a shot out throat. I can visually see the damage to the rifling and throat when the barrel is clean just by removing the bolt and holding the rifle so that the muzzel end of the barrel is pointed toward a white piece of paper that is in the light. I can also feel the roughness in the throat with a snug patch pushed through the barrel; the first 2 inches or so are rough after that things sooth out.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks tuner, I need all the help and practical advice I can get on this. I was supposed to look at the rifle over the thanksgiving holidays, but because of the combo of bad weather, the holiday itself and deer season here in Md. I' ve been delayed. maybe sometime this week ? I hope. Ron...

Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #9

I would ask the seller if they know who built the gun. Typically the history of a gun like this is traceable. With that, you may be able to get a round count from the previous owner(s). On a side note, if the chamber is shot out, that would be a gun worth rechambering, and you may not need a new barrel (if it was me paying for the work, I'd spend the $ for a barrel).

Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The owner claims to have had the gun built, and to have fired about 300 rounds. Asking about the actual builder (smith) is good advice. I don't have any reason not to trust this guy, but... Anyway, it seems that for the price, even if I have to re barrel or re chamber it still might be worth it if everything else is up to snuff. Comments and advice are always welcome, this has been a real learning experience for me, thanks, Ron...