Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   6.8mm SPC vs. .308 Win (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/6-8mm-spc-vs-308-win-20473/)

matt g 11-26-2009 05:45 PM

6.8mm SPC vs. .308 Win
 
Which would you prefer for a brush gun and why?

jpattersonnh 11-27-2009 02:10 PM

1st off I have very limited experiance w/ 6.8spc. But with the info I do have there are still more variables to consider.
1, What is the bullet weight to be used in each?
2, What type of rifle would be used?
3, When talking brush, are you talking heavy scrub brush or dense woods?
4, What kind of game?

All of these would dictate what would work for a given purpose.

I bought a Browning BLR in .308 for Whitetail Brush hunting here in the North East & topped it w/ a 3-9x40mm scope. I have the ability to reach out to 300 yards if the situation presents itself. I use 165gr SP bullets.
My go to heavy growth medium game rifle is a 9.3x57 Husqvarna w/ express sights. 286gr semi jacketed or cast lead bullets don't deflect as easily as a smaller, faster bullet. 2200fps is the average MV. Velosity at 150 yards is 1710 w/ 1850fp of energy. Bullet drop is 1.8" w/ 100 yard zero.

If I was hunting Coyotes that all changes.

cpttango30 11-27-2009 02:13 PM

Neither

45-70 or 500 smith would be my first two choices for dense cover hunting rounds.

JonM 11-27-2009 02:17 PM

i use my .458winmag for hunting deer and up. i bow hunt as well and dont carry a gun for that. its a bit more exciting when your in bear country :)

i like the .458 for general hunting as you have to get close to be effective and it can be loaded as low as 45=70 levels or all the way up to tungsten carbibe cored rounds for elephant and cape buffalo. mostly i use 350 grn bulllets at 45-70 pressure.

mrm14 11-27-2009 06:14 PM

My brother has been dinking around with the 6.8 SPC ammo for about a year now. What he is finding is that the 6.8 SPC round has surprisingly similar ballistic traits to that of the .308 Win. out to 400 yards. He's been using Hornaday 110 gr. ammo in the 6.8 SPC and will soon be playing with the 130 gr. ammunition to take his experimenting further. My thoughts, however is that a heavier grain weight bullet should perform better in the brush than a lighter grain weight bullet. When I used to hunt deer here in California, I used a 30-30 Winchester as a brush gun and swore by that round for this application. The areas I used to hunt the brush was moderate to thick in Manzanita, Madrone, Scrub Oak and Pine. (between 2500 to 3500 feet in elevation) At that time I was taking my deer at an average of +/- 70 yards with iron sights. If I were to go hunting again in these same growth areas I would probably choose the .308 Win. with 185 gr. bullets over the 6.8 SPC with its lighter gr. bullets. Actually I'd probably go back to the 30-30 round for hunting in this kind of growth. I think, however, that if I were to hunt in a area with less bursh as potential obsticals, I believe the 6.8 SPC would be fine and do a good job taking deer meat.

matt g 11-28-2009 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 191289)
My brother has been dinking around with the 6.8 SPC ammo for about a year now. What he is finding is that the 6.8 SPC round has surprisingly similar ballistic traits to that of the .308 Win. out to 400 yards. He's been using Hornaday 110 gr. ammo in the 6.8 SPC and will soon be playing with the 130 gr. ammunition to take his experimenting further. My thoughts, however is that a heavier grain weight bullet should perform better in the brush than a lighter grain weight bullet. When I used to hunt deer here in California, I used a 30-30 Winchester as a brush gun and swore by that round for this application. The areas I used to hunt the brush was moderate to thick in Manzanita, Madrone, Scrub Oak and Pine. (between 2500 to 3500 feet in elevation) At that time I was taking my deer at an average of +/- 70 yards with iron sights. If I were to go hunting again in these same growth areas I would probably choose the .308 Win. with 185 gr. bullets over the 6.8 SPC with its lighter gr. bullets. Actually I'd probably go back to the 30-30 round for hunting in this kind of growth. I think, however, that if I were to hunt in a area with less bursh as potential obsticals, I believe the 6.8 SPC would be fine and do a good job taking deer meat.

This is the info I'm looking for as you're hunting the same terrain and vegetation types that I hunt and take the same shots that I'd be taking.

When I used to go out with my dad, I'd use an older Winchester 30-30 that weighed close to 20 pounds when it was fully loaded. The old lever action carbines are great brush guns, but I'd like to stick with a bolt action. Ruger makes a nice looking M77 compact that I'm eyeing up.

mrm14 11-28-2009 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 191603)
This is the info I'm looking for as you're hunting the same terrain and vegetation types that I hunt and take the same shots that I'd be taking.

When I used to go out with my dad, I'd use an older Winchester 30-30 that weighed close to 20 pounds when it was fully loaded. The old lever action carbines are great brush guns, but I'd like to stick with a bolt action. Ruger makes a nice looking M77 compact that I'm eyeing up.

That Ruger M77 compact looks like a perfect bolt brush gun. What do you think of the Laminate Compact M77? It appears to be only $60.00 more than the regular stock.

matt g 11-29-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrm14 (Post 191639)
That Ruger M77 compact looks like a perfect bolt brush gun. What do you think of the Laminate Compact M77? It appears to be only $60.00 more than the regular stock.

I really like wood. I can live with synthetics. I really dislike laminates.

mrm14 11-29-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 191955)
I really like wood. I can live with synthetics. I really dislike laminates.

Yeah. I'm kind of a wood guy myself. But, you have to admit that some of those lamnate wood stocks look kind of cool.

Dcomf 12-01-2009 05:38 PM

308 in a Savage 99 if I had my druthers. Easier and cheaper to load for and you get 308 performance with spire points in a lever gun. Either cartridge will work for brush hunting with similar deflection. The biggest issue with brush hunting is how close you are to the brush when you shoot, the closer you are the more deflection there will be downrange. It's not an issue of caliber for the most part. You don't need a 45-70 heavy loaded with 535gr Postells for "brush-busting".


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:24 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.