Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   6.5x55 Bolt Rifle (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/6-5x55-bolt-rifle-100507/)

The45kid 11-19-2013 12:35 AM

6.5x55 Bolt Rifle

Hey guys,
I've been a long time reader on the forum and recently made an account. I want to buy/build a 6.5x55 Swede rifle for long range shooting. Now, I want a heavy barrel, but the only 6.5 heavy barrel I can find is a Tikka that isn't sold in the US for some reason...now I read somewhere that I can buy a Savage long action and buy a 6.5 Savage barrel and put them together. My question is, is it possible to buy a Savage long action w/ the accutrigger and all installed, buy a Savage 6.5x55 heavy barrel and put those together? Would all I need after that is a stock,rings,mount, scope and mag? Thanks and sorry for the long read!!

John_Deer 11-19-2013 12:55 AM

Savages are very accurate rifles but they are built for hunting and plinking. You seldom see a savage on a benchrest.

JonM can tell you all the reasons why. I don't know because I don't really care to know.

jpattersonnh 11-19-2013 01:22 AM

You would be better served w/ an M41b sniper. They can be found for $1200.00 to 1700.00. That includes the scope. They are at least 800 yard precision rifles.

Axxe55 11-19-2013 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1435169)
Savages are very accurate rifles but they are built for hunting and plinking. You seldom see a savage on a benchrest.

JonM can tell you all the reasons why. I don't know because I don't really care to know.

i think you might be incorrect on that. Savage offers a few benchrest type rifles as factory offerings in several calibers. there is also a group of factory sponsered Savage rifle target shooters in F-Class that use a pretty stock F-Class Savage in 6.5-284 and they score quite well with those rifles.

i think a Savage actioned rifle with a heavy 6.5x55 barrel would be an interesting project. there are several custom barrel makers that offer Savage barrels in various calibers. that and the proper sized action for the cartridge. this could be done several ways. finding a suitable action used and then rebarreling it. or just buying new action that will fit the cartridge, or even a new rifle with the proper action and rebarreling it.

that's the beauty of the Savage rifles. with a few tools and some basic skills, a person can put together a really nice rifle without having to resort to a gunsmith. even the bolts are pretty easy to configure for different cartridges.

hopefully TXhillbilly will make a showing here. he is pretty knowledgeable on Savage rifles and has put together a few. i have seen a couple of his in person an they are very well put together and really nice rifles.

i think you have made a good choice of caliber too. the 6.5x55 is an awesome cartridge an has some excellent ballistics.

The45kid 11-19-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55
i think you might be incorrect on that. Savage offers a few benchrest type rifles as factory offerings in several calibers. there is also a group of factory sponsered Savage rifle target shooters in F-Class that use a pretty stock F-Class Savage in 6.5-284 and they score quite well with those rifles. i think a Savage actioned rifle with a heavy 6.5x55 barrel would be an interesting project. there are several custom barrel makers that offer Savage barrels in various calibers. that and the proper sized action for the cartridge. this could be done several ways. finding a suitable action used and then rebarreling it. or just buying new action that will fit the cartridge, or even a new rifle with the proper action and rebarreling it. that's the beauty of the Savage rifles. with a few tools and some basic skills, a person can put together a really nice rifle without having to resort to a gunsmith. even the bolts are pretty easy to configure for different cartridges. hopefully TXhillbilly will make a showing here. he is pretty knowledgeable on Savage rifles and has put together a few. i have seen a couple of his in person an they are very well put together and really nice rifles. i think you have made a good choice of caliber too. the 6.5x55 is an awesome cartridge an has some excellent ballistics.

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses so quickly. If you don't mind me picking your brains at all, how do you feel about the 260 Remington compared to the 6.5 Swede?

Axxe55 11-19-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The45kid (Post 1435223)
Thanks guys I appreciate the responses so quickly. If you don't mind me picking your brains at all, how do you feel about the 260 Remington compared to the 6.5 Swede?

i have shot the 6.5x55 and really like it. excellent ballistics on medium sized game, flat shooting and gentle recoil. i have never shot the 260 Rem. but have looked at it's ballistics in the past and IMO, in some ways is under-appreciated. it's not a common caliber in my area.

hopefully TXhillbilly will make his presence known here! he has a Savage chambered in 260 Rem. IIRC. the man is pretty smart on the Savages.

The45kid 11-19-2013 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe55
i have shot the 6.5x55 and really like it. excellent ballistics on medium sized game, flat shooting and gentle recoil. i have never shot the 260 Rem. but have looked at it's ballistics in the past and IMO, in some ways is under-appreciated. it's not a common caliber in my area. hopefully TXhillbilly will make his presence known here! he has a Savage chambered in 260 Rem. IIRC. the man is pretty smart on the Savages.

Alright, thanks again for your help!

Salvo 11-19-2013 03:58 AM

I wanted a Savage model 16 ( stainless short action ) with a "magnum weight " 24 inch barrel in .243 Winchester in a laminated thumbhole stock - and the Savage custom shop was happy to accommodate me.

Maybe the OP should give Effie Sullivan at Savage a call.

Worked for me.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps29918fe8.jpg

Txhillbilly 11-19-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1435169)

That's true! You won't find hardly any factory actions setting on a Benchrest line,almost all of them are custom single shot action's.
Go take a look on a F Class match,and you'll see plenty of Savage's!

Quote:

Originally Posted by The45kid (Post 1435223)

The 6.5 Swede is a great caliber,and is a little faster than the 260 Rem. or the 6.5 Creedmoor,but you will have a harder time finding Match Grade ammo for the Swede if you don't handload.
I like the 260 Rem,and love the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ballistic's are very close with them,but the Creedmoor allows you to shoot the long 140 gr Match bullets like the Hornady A-Max or Berger VLD's and still be under maximum magazine length.
I shoot the 260 with an AR-10 type rifle,and I built my Creedmoor off a trued Savage Varmint action.

Savage also offers the 260 Rem,and the 6.5 Creedmoor in two factory long range set-ups - The Model 11 Long Range Hunter,and the Model 12 Long Range Precision. Both are great starter rifles for long range work.

nitestalker 11-19-2013 06:27 AM

If you want one of the rounds from the last century I would look at the Swiss. The 7.5 X 55 Swiss would allow the use of .308 match bullets.;)