You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

6.5 Creedmoor


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What kind of velocity does 6.5-06 get? IIRC, 6.5 can start burning barrels if it's velocity gets too high.
depending on the powder used, about 2900-3200 fps with 120 gr bullets is what the one book i have that has load data for it. from all i have gathered the 6.5-06 like the 6.5-284 are not really bad about barrel erosion if you use the slower powders.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6584 Times on 3640 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
depending on the powder used, about 2900-3200 fps with 120 gr bullets is what the one book i have that has load data for it. from all i have gathered the 6.5-06 like the 6.5-284 are not really bad about barrel erosion if you use the slower powders.
I read the 6.5-284 got it's reputation of being a barrel burner from competitions, where the gun was shot a lot without allowing the barrel to cool.

In that case, they should be perfectly fine with slower powders.

Just checked my book. It said 6.5x55 Swede runs about 2100-2300 fps with 140 gr bullets. I guess I won't have to worry about barrel erosion then.

My book (Lyman) doesn't have 6.5-06, 6.5-284, or 6.5 Creedmoor, just 6.5 Swede and 260 Remington. What book are you using?
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #23
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I read the 6.5-284 got it's reputation of being a barrel burner from competitions, where the gun was shot a lot without allowing the barrel to cool.

In that case, they should be perfectly fine with slower powders.

Just checked my book. It said 6.5x55 Swede runs about 2100-2300 fps with 140 gr bullets. I guess I won't have to worry about barrel erosion then.

My book (Lyman) doesn't have 6.5-06, 6.5-284, or 6.5 Creedmoor, just 6.5 Swede and 260 Remington. What book are you using?
i have it in the Nosler #6 load data book.

actually depending on powder used, the 120 gr. bullets range from about 2700 to almost 3300 fps. the 6.5-284 is running pretty close to the 6.5-06 with the same bullets.
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,249
Liked 1955 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 867

Default

Axxe,I've debated for a long time about putting a 6.5-06 barrel on my 300WM. All I'd have to change is the bolt head,and the magazine,but I'd probably go with a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved just so I wouldn't get my brass mixed up with my 25/06 because I'd use 25/06 brass for the 6.5.

It sure would be a lot better in the recoil dept!
Txhillbilly is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22419 Times on 12500 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Axxe,I've debated for a long time about putting a 6.5-06 barrel on my 300WM. All I'd have to change is the bolt head,and the magazine,but I'd probably go with a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved just so I wouldn't get my brass mixed up with my 25/06 because I'd use 25/06 brass for the 6.5.

It sure would be a lot better in the recoil dept!
Hillbilly, i bought the LA M700 reciever a while back because i made the decision to use at least a cartridge based off the 30-06. a couple that ended up as the those i considered were the 8mm-06 and the 338-06, but after a discussion with a shooting buddy several years ago, he steered me towards the 6.5-06 for a target rifle. i did some research into it and that's the one i finally decided on. excellent ballistics and should have pretty mild recoil, the potential to reach accurately at a 1000 yards. and there was the coolness of the cartridge after looking into it was it is still one of the few true wildcats left. no factory chamberings and no factory ammo available. it got my attention and appealed to me for all those reasons.
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default 6.5creedmoor vs 260 for recoil

Hey guys new to this post. I am a former P.D. sniper and everything back then (70's and 80's) was 308, now after 3 surgeries on my right shoulder and 4 on my left plus 4 fusions to my neck and back, and last but not least open heart surgery twice I am quite recoil sensitive.

I currently use a 300acc blackout on an ar15. That was perfect as most of my shots were 100yds or less. Were I hunt now my shots range from 75yds to250yds.

I don't think the 300 blackout has what it takes for the longer distances.
I have been researching the 6.5 Creedmoor but I am concerned about recoil.
I have access to a 260 Remington to fire for comparison purpose.
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
My main purpose for this rifle will be for Whitetail Deer and target shooting out to about 500yrds for now.

Last edited by kingchaser989; 01-03-2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: additional information
kingchaser989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #27
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jigs-n-fixture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,050
Liked 624 Times on 394 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchaser989 View Post
Hey guys new to this post. I am a former P.D. sniper and everything back then (70's and 80's) was 308, now after 3 surgeries on my right shoulder and 4 on my left plus 4 fusions to my neck and back, and last but not least open heart surgery twice I am quite recoil sensitive.



I currently use a 300acc blackout on an ar15. That was perfect as most of my shots were 100yds or less. Were I hunt now my shots range from 75yds to250yds.



I don't think the 300 blackout has what it takes for the longer distances.

I have been researching the 6.5 Creedmoor but I am concerned about recoil.

I have access to a 260 Remington to fire for comparison purpose.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

My main purpose for this rifle will be for Whitetail Deer and target shooting out to about 500yrds for now.

The 6.5 Creedmoor isn't bad. That said, the majority of the top shooters in the precision rifle series, shoot a 6mm, with the 6 Creedmoor, and 243 Winchester both being used. They shoot a lot of rounds in a weekend from all kinds of positions, and the lighter recoil makes a difference.

The 243 is readily available as a chambering from most manufacturers, and is known as a light recoiling deer rifle. It definitely has the inherent accuracy to shoot targets well past 500-yds.

The only factory rifle chambered in 6 Creedmoor I'm aware of is the Ruger Precision Rifle. And if you were hunting from stands it would probably be fine, but it is a bit too heavy to excel as a carry gun.
jigs-n-fixture is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default 6.5 creedmoor

Thanks Jigs for the quick reply.
I think I'll put a couple of rounds through my buddy's 260 Remington to see if I can handle recoil.
I don't reload so will look close at the 6.5 Creedmoor, if the 260 recoil is acceptable.
kingchaser989 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,249
Liked 1955 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 867

Default

I've built three 6.5 Creedmoor rifles for friends and myself. They are some of the most accurate rifles that I've ever shot. I hand load all of my ammo, but one of my friends just shoots factory ammo, and his rifle is real accurate shooting it.
If you stick with bullets like the 120 - 123 grain range, the recoil is really mild, and still has plenty of energy for hunting at the ranges you stated you'd be shooting.

There's nothing wrong with the 260 Remington either, I have a DPMS LR260H, and it's my go to hog hunting rifle with my night vision scope on it.
I shoot mainly 140 gr bullets with the 260 & 6.5 Creedmoor, and have a wildcat AR15 in 6.5x6.8 that I shoot 100 & 120 gr bullets with.

Try out your friends 260, the recoil shouldn't be to bad for you.
__________________
Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:09 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,249
Liked 1955 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 867

Default

Since you already have an AR15, you might also look at the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC cartridges.
There is plenty of factory ammo available for both, and the recoil is less than the 260 or the Creedmoor.
__________________
Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club
Txhillbilly is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Built my 6.5 Creedmoor today Txhillbilly General Rifle Discussion 4 01-16-2013 11:40 PM
Talk on or suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor Combat_Medic General Rifle Discussion 11 12-30-2012 07:59 AM
creedmoor No1 moo1154 General Handgun Discussion 3 03-27-2010 04:54 PM
The 6.5 Creedmoor.... Dillinger Ammunition & Reloading 0 06-24-2008 02:06 PM