6.5 Creedmoor - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 6.5 Creedmoor

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 112
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Lots of good information on here. Lets keep it going. :thumbs up: Ive been leaning away from my 308 to a 6.5 creedmoor. This thread is starting to solidify my thoughts. How about thoughts on barrel lengths? Rate of twist? Etc?

__________________
E7018Dan is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E7018Dan View Post
Lots of good information on here. Lets keep it going. :thumbs up: Ive been leaning away from my 308 to a 6.5 creedmoor. This thread is starting to solidify my thoughts. How about thoughts on barrel lengths? Rate of twist? Etc?
you started a good thread for discussion! i too am looking to pick up some information. and so far it's not disappointing! some good points to consider and think about.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:28 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 577
Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

I like a 1:8 twist for launching the real long high BC 129-142gr bullets, some people prefer a 1:9 for 120-130gr but you will find most of the hardcore 6.5mm cult likes 1:8s. The mid ranged 6.5s are not exceptionally overbore they don't NEED real long barrels mine is a 22" barrel hunting rifle and it works just fine but if you are wanting to shoot F-Class or something along those lines a longer barrel always dissipate heat better and gives you a few extra fps, a friend of mine shoots 6.5x55 through a 28" match barrel and he gets a whopping 2,950fps with 142gr SMKs that is right up there with the 6.5-284!

__________________

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 06-01-2013 at 04:33 AM.
Apex-Predator is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 112
Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Default

Isnt there some equation to determine rate of twist? And I was thinking 1:8 with 26" Ill have to look at the difference compared to a 28". I'd be willing to go up 2 inches. Itll most likely be for punching paper. Although It might see some use for deer season and a couple coyotes. I hunt in a half wooded half field gulley on a 25' stand so not worried about stray bullets or lugging it around. Any thoughts on heavier bullets?

__________________
E7018Dan is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:04 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 577
Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Yes there is, Berger bullets has a calculator on their website.
http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/hunting-bullets/
A 1:8 26 or 28" would be a fine choice for a long ranged gun but if you are hunting in dense brush of doing alot of walking with your rifle a 22-24" makes alot of sense, personal preference build it how you like, the 6.5s do get more speed from the longer barrel then a 308 does.

__________________
Apex-Predator is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
I like a 1:8 twist for launching the real long high BC 129-142gr bullets, some people prefer a 1:9 for 120-130gr but you will find most of the hardcore 6.5mm cult likes 1:8s. The mid ranged 6.5s are not exceptionally overbore they don't NEED real long barrels mine is a 22" barrel hunting rifle and it works just fine but if you are wanting to shoot F-Class or something along those lines a longer barrel always dissipate heat better and gives you a few extra fps, a friend of mine shoots 6.5x55 through a 28" match barrel and he gets a whopping 2,950fps with 142gr SMKs that is right up there with the 6.5-284!
i actually have bare M700 LA reciever that will be used to build my own custom rifle in 6.5-06 someday. the intended purpose is to build a possible 1000 yard target rifle, hopefully! it will be strictly a target rifle and have no intentions whatsoever using it for hunting. my plans are making it capable of putting very small groups on paper. again hopefully! this rifle has been in the planning stages for over ten years before i decided on which direction i wanted to go with. gave many thoughts to calibers before deciding on the 6.5-06. so far i have gotten a new bare reciever, the recoil lug and some other small parts. it gets pushed to the back burner many times from other projects that i find. i need to get back to it and get something going though.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

I'm subscribing to this thread too. My next bolt gun is going to be a custom 6.5. I'm leaning heavily towards 6.5x55 Swede.

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,709
Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'm subscribing to this thread too. My next bolt gun is going to be a custom 6.5. I'm leaning heavily towards 6.5x55 Swede.
i remounted and boresighted, then dialed in the scope on a friends Winchester M70 in 6.5x55 a couple of years ago. that was one sweet shooting rifle. it was his wife's deer rifle. made me want one pretty bad.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i actually have bare M700 LA reciever that will be used to build my own custom rifle in 6.5-06 someday. the intended purpose is to build a possible 1000 yard target rifle, hopefully! it will be strictly a target rifle and have no intentions whatsoever using it for hunting. my plans are making it capable of putting very small groups on paper. again hopefully! this rifle has been in the planning stages for over ten years before i decided on which direction i wanted to go with. gave many thoughts to calibers before deciding on the 6.5-06. so far i have gotten a new bare reciever, the recoil lug and some other small parts. it gets pushed to the back burner many times from other projects that i find. i need to get back to it and get something going though.
What kind of velocity does 6.5-06 get? IIRC, 6.5 can start burning barrels if it's velocity gets too high.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i remounted and boresighted, then dialed in the scope on a friends Winchester M70 in 6.5x55 a couple of years ago. that was one sweet shooting rifle. it was his wife's deer rifle. made me want one pretty bad.
I've heard nothing but good about that round. Makes me want one even more.
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Built my 6.5 Creedmoor today Txhillbilly General Rifle Discussion 4 01-17-2013 12:40 AM
Talk on or suggest a 6.5 Creedmoor Combat_Medic General Rifle Discussion 11 12-30-2012 08:59 AM
creedmoor No1 moo1154 General Handgun Discussion 3 03-27-2010 05:54 PM
The 6.5 Creedmoor.... Dillinger Ammunition & Reloading 0 06-24-2008 03:06 PM