6.5 Creedmoor
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 6.5 Creedmoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Default 6.5 Creedmoor

Any thoughts on this round? Just looking for a general discussion on positives and negatives. Anyone with hands on experience?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #2

Liked 226 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 108

No hands on with it but I shoot and handlaod it's old ballistic twin the 6.5x55, that is my favorite hands down.
It has advantages of both the Swede and the 260, has a sharper shoulder and longer neck like the 6.5x55 to minimize case stretching and reduce throat erosion and it fits into the same short action as the 260.

Last edited by Apex-Predator; 05-31-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:01 PM   #3

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

All I know is the 25-06 Remington,but this looks like a perfect round in a perfect Savage Rifle,but will the 6.5 Creedmoor ride into the sunset as many rounds did?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:47 PM   #4

I don't think the 6.5 Creedmore is going anywhere anytime soon, call me crazy but it is a great marketing concept introducing it as the first commercial 1,000yd match cartridge and making both the hunting and match factory loads with high BC bullets, and I have not seen one yet that was not really accurate which does not hurt their reputation one bit. Combine that with a near identical ballistic balance as the legendary 6.5x55 (and the poorly marketed 260 Rem) which makes it as fine a low recoil deer hunting cartridge as there ever was. Compare the 6.5 Creedmore side by side with a 243 and the 243 looks like a one legged man in an ass kicking contest despite the fact that it has some pretty respectable ballistics of it's own.
Combining the best traits of the Swede and 260 should make for a helluva gun I really want one too.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1256 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 599

I shoot both the 6.5 Creedmoor,and the Remington 260. Both are great calibers ballistically. There's really no difference between them in their performance,but each has its own +'s and -'s.
The Creedmoor really shines with the long match style bullets.This caliber was designed for them,and you still remain well under maximum overall cartridge length for almost any magazine-Bolt action or Semi auto magazines.Using the same type of bullets in the 260 Remington usually means loading them one at a time if you want to set them out towards the rifling lands.

Factory ammo is available for both,but the Creedmoor is easier to find,and usually cost less than the 260.

The negative on the Creedmoor would be the brass. Hornady brass is fine with avg power loads,but step it up a little,and the primer pockets will get large quick-2 or 3 loadings. Nosler brass is about $1.30 a case-$64.99 per 50,so that really hits you in the back pocket over the Hornady-$34.99 per 50.
I'm also using 22-250 brass,and resizing it to 6.5 Creedmoor.I just don't have much data yet to see how many loadings it will get.

The negative on the 260 Remington is also the brass,if it's Remington brass. I have never had much luck with any brass that has a Remington stamp on it,the necks are just too thin,and they split after a couple loadings. But,with the 260,I resize 243 brass,and so that doesn't ever come into play with me.
My 260 Remington is a Semi-auto DPMS LR-260H,so I only load the bullets out to maximum magazine length of 2.810. It shoots the same bullets that I shoot in the Creedmoor,but the results are different.

The good-
Both calibers are very fun to shoot,and have very mild recoil,so someone that is small or recoil sensitive can shoot these calibers and shoot them good without developing bad habits from recoil issues.
Reloading for both is great,they both use the same powders.Before I was able to get new load manuals,after looking at some standard loads for the Creedmoor on the internet,I looked up the same powder/bullet combinations for the 260,and they were very close so I just started loading off the 260 Remington data until the new data manuals arrived.Note* Always staying under Max.loads,and always looking for pressure signs* I don't suggest this,but I've been reloading over 3 decades,and I'm very sure of what I'm doing.

Depending on the gun and the shooters ability,both calibers are very accurate easily to 1000 yards. Shooting sub-moa groups at 100 yards almost gets boring with both of the rifles I have while doing load testing.
I've tried everything from 100 gr Varmint bullets to 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD's with these calibers,and the love shooting almost anything I feed them.

If you want a good long range caliber,and also a caliber that will take down medium sized game,either the 6.5 Creedmoor,260 Remington or the 6.5x55 Swede will do the trick.

Here's the 6.5 Creedmoor I built-
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/built-my-6-5-creedmoor-today-81560/

Here,I was testing a new powder and primer with several bullets,in different rifles-
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/testing-some-different-components-out-88220/

Old 06-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #6

That is the one edge I would have to give my Swede over the newcomers my brass is fantastic, I have a batch of Prvi brass that I have shot full bore loads with 10 to 15 times without a single reject, primer pocket are holding fast and not a single cracked neck, though some of them are so heavily used they won't take a good shine anymore. I'll also agree that the 6.5s just tend to be remarkably accurate, I shoot sub-moa with nearly every combination of bullet/powder and RL19/22 give groups that you have to see to believe using regular ol hunting bullets!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex-Predator View Post
That is the one edge I would have to give my Swede over the newcomers my brass is fantastic, I have a batch of Prvi brass that I have shot full bore loads with 10 to 15 times without a single reject, primer pocket are holding fast and not a single cracked neck, though some of them are so heavily used they won't take a good shine anymore. I'll also agree that the 6.5s just tend to be remarkably accurate, I shoot sub-moa with nearly every combination of bullet/powder and RL19/22 give groups that you have to see to believe using regular ol hunting bullets!
I get good case life from the Hornady loading in the upper mid powder ranges-right in the sweet spot of my barrel.Usually around 10 loads.
But when I tested some to max book or a little higher looking for pressure signs,the primer pockets got really big,without showing any other standard pressure signs.
Remington brass is just junk to me,no matter what the caliber. I prefer to use Winchester brass for most of my general shooting duties,and use Lapua brass for my long range loads.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:37 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

subscribing to this thread to pick up some useful information.

i did buy some Norma cases for my 280 Remington and so far they seem to be pretty good. not cheap though.

just for thoughts on this subject, how is the comparison of the 6.5 Creedmore to the 6.5 Grendal?

Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Axxe,The Grendel doesn't hold a candle to the Creedmoor past 700 yards. There's a big difference in case capacity.
It's like comparing the Creedmoor to the 6.5x284,the 6.5x284 is a bigger case shooting the same bullet.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Axxe,The Grendel doesn't hold a candle to the Creedmoor past 700 yards. There's a big difference in case capacity.
It's like comparing the Creedmoor to the 6.5x284,the 6.5x284 is a bigger case shooting the same bullet.
thanks Hillbilly. one of the reasons i ask is that i had thought about building a target style AR in 6.8 SPC, but a friend suggested either the 6.5 Creedmore or the 6.5 Grendal and i can't now remember which one it was he suggested. just trying to get some input on this.