50 caliber muzzle loader - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > 50 caliber muzzle loader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I own several front loaders and enjoy using them. I mostly shoot the 50 calibers, both side lock and in-line, for both targets and hunting. We live in a shotgun only area but we can use black powder during the regular season so I have taken to using a scope mounted in-line for the added range. No scopes during the muzzle loading season. As far as cleaning the guns I don't feel that it is that big of a job. I only use Pryodex RS granular and it cleans easily.

A gun is like a wife. If you can't love the one you have get a divorce from it and go find one you can lovel

Old 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post

Hawg is right on. The rifle has a 44" swamped Rice, Chambers Flint Lock and Chambers vent. The pistol has a Rayle barrel Syler, lock and Chambers vent. These .54 will clean faster shooting black than I can clean a smokeless. The rifle is a Steve Zhin th pistol is a 40 year old Jack Garner.

DK
im new to the hole shooting scene andjust moved to Rochester mn so im just now learning how everything works those guns are nice specially the smaller of the two would not mind trying both im trying to try all types see what ones i like better.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #13

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Beautiful guns Durango. Steve is a master craftsman. Mine's no Steve Zhin but it didn't cost as much as one either.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Beautiful guns Durango. Steve is a master craftsman. Mine's no Steve Zhin but it didn't cost as much as one either.

lol dont matter if the gun is a beauty or if its butt ugly like a troll as long as its reliable when u need it thats all that matters lol

Old 03-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7126 View Post
lol dont matter if the gun is a beauty or if its butt ugly like a troll as long as its reliable when u need it thats all that matters lol
Based solely upon this statement, have you tried an SKS yet? I love mine. It sounds like one might suit you well.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Based solely upon this statement, have you tried an SKS yet? I love mine. It sounds like one might suit you well.
no lol i have not id love to shoot one tho i know sks is ugly ass gun but id still love it all the same lol

Old 03-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #17

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7126 View Post
Hmmm, so you're saying my rifle is butt ugly? Well next to the Zhin I guess it is.

DEO VINDICE

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #18

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Good Old 50s

My first was a Thompson Center Hawken 50, later a couple more, one for me and one for my Son...Trading and swapping I found I was out of 50s so ordered a Thompson Center look alike, some other brand. They sent me a .58 caliber and I started to send it back but remembered that I had some minie balls and bullet molds for .58.....Went out and shot that rascal...Wow ! I won't trade or sell that one so I can shoot either Minies or round patched balls...

I killed my first deer with the TC Hawken .50, round patched ball. May drag that old thing out of the safe and pop some caps at something....

Old 03-17-2011, 11:30 PM   #19

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Wrong place, go to C&R

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:52 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hawg I have known Steve a very long time. He lives 300 miles from me up near the Crow Rez on the Wind River. He has a little ranch behind a dusty butte in Hidden Valley. It takes a four wheel drive to get into his place year around. I go up and visit with him a couple times a year. We sorta deal out on things from time to time. You know what I am saying This rifle was based on one of my ancestors rifles who served under Andy Jackson in the Tenn. Militia. I will post some pics of the butt stock. Your Hawkens is a fine looking periode rifle. The Hawkens is always in style.