.50 Anyone?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > .50 Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .50 Anyone?

There is a local guy selling a Barrett Model 99 for $3k.

I've always been interesting in owning a .50 caliber rifle.

Anyone know much about the different manufactures. Does Barrett make a decent line of rifles?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2007, 09:46 PM   #2

um...let's put it this way...US Special Forces Snipers use Barretts. Good 'nuff for them, good 'nuff for me.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:54 PM   #3

.50's are highly specialized firearms, not for the casual shooter. Ammo is devilishly expensive and finding a range that will accommodate it could be problematic. Shooting it at ranges less than 500 yards would be analogous to shooting a tin can at 25 yards with a scoped 25-06! Hardly worthy of it's accuracy potential!

Some in the shooting community might think that ownership of them is a status symbol.They are for long range shooting ONLY!

Think long and hard about that kind of purchase!

Old 05-29-2007, 05:16 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I want one, but Brent touched on all the issues that have kept me from making the plunge. Ammo prices touching $3 - $4 a round are a turn off. Also I do not have access to a range where I could shoot a .50 to its full potential.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've shot some Barrett model .50 not sure exactly what model at a range that only went up to 200 yds. You need a lot more room then that to really get unique use out of such a unique round, so that fact plus cost has kept me from buying one.